PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Canning fish question

HarryToolips
03-04-2024, 11:28 AM
Hey folks,

The wife and I pressure canned fish last night, several jars did not seal properly.. the manuals state that any jars that do not seal must be refrigerated or re processed immediately. Problem is, they were out all night at room temp. Have any of you had this same issue, reprocessed them, even though they were out all night, and never had any issues? I would just hate to throw them away and waste the fish. Thanks in advance for any replies.

IronNoggin
03-04-2024, 11:46 AM
Hey folks,

The wife and I pressure canned fish last night, several jars did not seal properly.. the manuals state that any jars that do not seal must be refrigerated or re processed immediately. Problem is, they were out all night at room temp. Have any of you had this same issue, reprocessed them, even though they were out all night, and never had any issues? I would just hate to throw them away and waste the fish. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I would not think being out for a single night would spoil them.
Should be fine if refrigerated until eaten.
Also could be re-processed as you note.

Next time around check them to see if any did not correctly seal after the others have.
Old trick: turn those that didn't seal upside down (while hot) and let them cool that way.
Often solves the problem.

Cheers,
Nog

superdrupal
03-04-2024, 11:52 AM
It's not uncommon to get one or two that don't seal. We can a lot and place the unsealed cans in the fridge later after they've cooled, usually overnight. We haven't had any issues.

Gateholio
03-04-2024, 11:56 AM
I would put them in the fridge and eat them over the next coupe of days. Even though they didn't seal, they are cooked and having them sit overnight shouldn't be a problem.

MRP
03-04-2024, 01:03 PM
Not knowing how much canning experience you have but here's a couple of things.
Lids should be preheated in very hot water not boiling but to hot to stick your fingers in.
Always wipe clean the rim after loading the jars.
Be careful not tilt them putting them in or out of the canner.
Some lids seem to need a little extra snuging when they come out?

HarryToolips
03-04-2024, 02:58 PM
I would not think being out for a single night would spoil them.
Should be fine if refrigerated until eaten.
Also could be re-processed as you note.

Next time around check them to see if any did not correctly seal after the others have.
Old trick: turn those that didn't seal upside down (while hot) and let them cool that way.
Often solves the problem.

Cheers,
Nog

That sounds like a cool trick, thanks for the reply!

HarryToolips
03-04-2024, 03:00 PM
Thanks all for the relies really appreciate it!