PDA

View Full Version : Outfitting a 4runner?

sgt.maj
12-16-2007, 10:59 PM
I just got a 93 4 runner in awesome shape and would like to take it out hunting next year. I have only ever had trucks not SUV's and was wondering what the draw backs will be with packing in and out.

If I have all my gear in the back, where the hell am I going to put my game? Roof rack?(what kind), trailer?(what kind). If anyone has SUV hunting experience, please let me know of any potential bonuses or drawbacks with having an SUV. What sort of after market stuff is there for 4runners and hunting?

THanks

J.P.

115 or bust
12-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Love my 4runner unbeliveable in the snow and ice and It doesn't get stuck easy just bring a tarp for the goodies in the back so the blood doesn't soak into the carpet.

RMG
12-17-2007, 12:17 AM
You can never go wrong with a Toyota. I personally would get a trailer, makes life way easier. Oh ya and a wench, and boat rack too.

dave_fras
12-17-2007, 07:10 AM
im trying to find a 4runner right now.... my truck caught fire about 2 weeks ago... crappy mazda!..... its had to find a 4runner with low ks tho!

ruttinbuck
12-17-2007, 07:18 AM
I ran an 87 runner for a number of years,pretty hard to beat for an all around vehicle.I built a dry box fir it and screwed it to a 2 piece 1/4 inch plywood bed.I would put the back seat down line the carpet floor with garbage bgas for any blood spill and put the dry box bed liner in the back.Instant 2 man hunting rig that carries a small camp and one client whole at a time.Called the truck "the bambulance" as it brought home many bucks:smile:.
Heres a pic of the back of the truck.RB
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/ruttinbuck/kills/4PTYota1.jpg

Fisher-Dude
12-17-2007, 09:31 AM
You can never go wrong with a Toyota. I personally would get a trailer, makes life way easier. Oh ya and a wench, and boat rack too.

The "wench" can sometimes be asked to clean the blood off the carpet when you bring a deer home in the back of your 4Runner. Wenches are good at cleaning stuff like that. They will also cook your deer meat for you. Always be sure to get a wench. :wink:

sub urban bow hunter
12-17-2007, 10:33 AM
My Rig
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/toyota_and_trailer.jpghttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/yota_tires.jpg
couple things i have done with my 4runner

get moog after market cargo springs for the back, lift that sag
intall wingnut bolts on back seat bottoms so they are removable and get full 6'4" (headroom while sleeping) with seats folded down.
rip out rear carpet, paint with rino liner or equivelant
install tule roof rack
get small but sturdy utility trailer
get some 31" BFG AT'sthis will leave it with a stock look and feel but with a bit extra capability.
If you want to do more go to
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/index.shtml
for lots of crazy ideas on further customization.
here is an idea you might want to try :)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/hunting_yota.jpg

they are great hunting trucks even if you leave totally stock and power wash blood outa rear carpet after getting home (been there done that)

FLHTCUI
12-18-2007, 08:15 AM
dont use a cheap blue plastic tarp . I used one last yr and blood soaked through, but dont care really as it is a SUV after all. A good heavy plastic sheet is my next purchase for the gear equip. list.
You really need to do some packing and unpacking of what you really need for your trip. kinda like packing for a flyin trip .
I am sure witha little practice you will get it all in.
The buck I had stuffed in the back last yr. was pushed up against the rear lift gate and was putting pressure on the power window so it was hard to open when I ot home, had to re-adjust from the inside while powering down the windo (94 SR5 4Runner)
Hey Kelown guy, what are you looking to spend on a 4Runner ? I am thinking of upgrading to a Taco in the near future.
Happy Hanukka and Merry Christmas to All.
Rob

islandstalker
12-18-2007, 11:20 AM
:wink:i hear those taco's are a sweet ride:wink:

Sitkaspruce
12-18-2007, 11:33 AM
I have a 92 xtra cab PU that has really bad cancer, but the heart just keeps ticking away. Just replaced the clutch at 255000 km and other than denting the idler arm on a rock and replacing the back springs and shocks, have done nothing but reg maintenance on her.

What motor? I have the 3.0 L V6.
I replaced the coil and ignition with an after market one, helps in cold weather starts, replaced the exahust manifolds with headers and changed the location of the gas filter to a location that I can get to, instead of where it is now, which is in a real PITA location.

She just keeps running and will go just about anywhere I need her to go. I put on 31" Truxus mudders and canopy. She can haul my boat or go to town with my wife.

If you look at putting on a winch, beaf up the front end before you do, as it is not designed to take the weight. I am looking at a portable winch with a 2" reciver hitch.

Have fun and if you look after them they will run and run with no complaints.

Elkhound
12-18-2007, 12:19 PM
The "wench" can sometimes be asked to clean the blood off the carpet when you bring a deer home in the back of your 4Runner. Wenches are good at cleaning stuff like that. They will also cook your deer meat for you. Always be sure to get a wench. :wink:

You beat me to it LMAO

wrenchhead
12-18-2007, 05:42 PM
them 4runners are good rigs. i have a 87 toy truck that i use for hunting and i beat the hell out of it. it runns on 35 tires 10 inches of lift, lockers, solid axle swap. if you are looking for a street/hunting rig and want one newer then 89, go with a good all terrain tire and a locker in the rear and you will get anywhere you need to go.

sgt.maj
12-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Mine is a 93 with brand new high end Michelin all terrain. This thing is in great shape, both functionally and cosmetically. I want to keep it good looking so I dont want blood and shit all over the place. My wife seems to want to drive it alot too. I think I will get a small trailer.

Does any one use roof racks? Are they useful or will I curse the birth of christ in frustration due to lack of functionality? I get fired up easy.

Thanks for all the input.

ruttinbuck
12-19-2007, 06:21 AM
I had a yak rack and rocket box set up on my runner.Works great for lighter gear just center the box on the roof.RB

dave_fras
12-19-2007, 07:40 AM
ive seen a guy actually tear out the carpet of his blazer and rino spray it

boxhitch
12-20-2007, 01:27 AM
Does any one use roof racks? I've seen a Four-runner around here, with roof racks loaded for deer. The guy uses a section of Aluminum ladder that has wheels attached, as a deer carry and ramp. Wheels the deer to the car, throws one end onto the rack, lifts the other end and rolls it onto the roof. Lashes it down and good to go. Tarps the load, if he sees fit.

boxhitch
12-20-2007, 01:29 AM
Are they useful or will I curse the birth of christ in frustration due to lack of functionality? .That just shows a lack of imagination. :-)

sgt.maj
12-20-2007, 10:08 AM
That just shows a lack of imagination. :-)

Just an expression from back east,(french) no insult intended.

WiserFool
12-21-2007, 06:51 PM
I've used a 4 Runner to hunt with since we bought it new in 1990. I've tried it all, gear on the roof Yak Rak, dead deer on plastic in the back, and a small van trailer behind. By far the best rig is to use a trailer. Buy one with good clearance and you can tackle any logging road with confidence.

If you go plastic in the back of the 4 Runner, use heavy duty clear poly, as thick as you can get it, double layered and twice as big as you think it should be. Try the building stores. The woven plastic tarps leak easily, as mentioned already.

Our trailer is a covered single axle one good for 3500 lbs cargo rating. If you go covered, make sure it's 6'6" clearance inside or your head will carry the scars to forever remind you you should have spent the extra few dollars. :biggrin:

I once had a quad and a moose in my trailer and still pulled out through about a foot of new snow with a bone stock 4 Runner (except tire upgrade) when we broke camp. I also hauled a lot of firewood out of the bush with it each fall. I used to call the trailer my $5K half ton, as it certainly made the 4 Runner almost as versatile as having another vehicle. We also used it for summer vacations and took as much gear along as our hearts desired, and still had lots of room in the 4 Runner.

I can agree with the recommendations to go with BF Goodrich All Terrains, as 4 Runners have great fender clearance and can handle a tire upgrade. I've run them since the first set of factory tires wore out. I would be reluctant to go more than 30" high without changing the gearing, though. The loss of power vs gain in clearance is not worth it past 30" IMHO.

Fixit
12-27-2007, 10:29 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p5fa6f931471f4bac42b2cf23be2b7462/e79dd11b.jpg

heres my 4runner.

more for wheeling than hunting...
40" irocs
locked front and rear
dual t cases (2hi, 4hi, 4low, 4doublelow)
1 Ton axles/ solid axle swap
GM 4.3L vortec swap

for basic mods i would recomend Old Man Emu rear coils, 1.5" lift to help with the sag and extra weight
rear locker would be a great improvement
a/t's M/t's etc -whatever your tire preference. the knobier the better

32x11.5's can fit with slight torsion bar cranking
33 12.5s with fender cutting and cranked to max. they will still rub a bit.

a vehicle so equiped would tackle most of bc's terrain and be a great wheeler too

The Hermit
12-27-2007, 10:35 PM
I hunting in my pathfinder for years, then in Franko's pathfinder... the biggest drawback is the STANK of a couple rutty bucks in the back will always overpower teh stank of the bucks in the front seats! Many miles driven with teh windows down!!!

trailhunter
12-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Well i personally hate bolt on accessories........heres my 4runner project for the ultimate hunting buggy ;)

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464566