PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru packs

bruin
12-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Anyone tried one of these??
http://www.kifaru.net/BACKPAKS.HTM

WoodOx
12-16-2007, 08:14 PM
jeesh those things are expensive! look nice though..

Im in the market for a new day/weekend pack - any suggestions without breaking the bank? The POS one I ruined in a couple seasons was one of those non load bearing fleece packs...not exactly tough

Gunner
12-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Yep,I've had the daystalker for several years.What with back surgery and just plain gettin' old it'll hold everything I can carry in a very comfortable way.It's an excellent lumbar pack,and the rifle carrier is very secure and works well.If I was younger and could carry more I'd definetly look hard at their bigger packs.(They make packs for US Special Forces and are just starting to deliver some to the Canadian Armed Forces.) Gunner

bruin
12-16-2007, 09:55 PM
I tried one on but didn't like it all that much, didn't feel like it was close enough to my body to be comfortable however it wasn't custom for me. WHere did it say prices?
I have been using a "Vortex" pack and it has lasted me through 5 hunting seasons. This year it will be going in for repairs, but I have been pretty happy with it. One thing I think these Kifaru packs are lacking is external pockets for small stuff.

Gunner
12-16-2007, 09:58 PM
When you order a Kifaru they take all your measurements.Each pack is custom fitted and even my Lumbar day pack has an internal aluminum frame. Gunner

Dirty
12-16-2007, 10:23 PM
I think Kevin from Riverjet Adventures just sold one of those on here or huntshoot. I don't know his handle on here, but you may want to ask him about them.

Rackmastr
12-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Yep Kevin just sold me his pack....a Kifaru Longhunter. He goes by MtnBoy here and I'm very happy with the pack. Keep your eyes out and you can find some good deals. I know Kutenay had one for sale as well.....he is very knowledgeable and can tell you a ton about em.

I'm still learning mine and havent had it out yet, but so far I'm very impressed with the quality.....cant wait to get it out in the mountains for a hike, and next year it will be with me on a November bowhunt for bighorns if all goes well....

coldbuc69
12-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Have not tried the Kifaru pack, but I do own 2 badlands packs. The 4500 and the superday pack. Sufering a broken Back in june 06, I needed to find a pack that would not hurt my back while loaded. The 4500 pack I took Elk hunting on the Muskwa this year and will be taking sheep hunting in Aug next year. Fit awsome and felt great, The super day pack I got for my B-day and have not tried yet. Both have a place for you're gun/bow and the super day has both. The best thing is their Warranty

Our Warranty

We don't care what happened, or whose fault it was, we will fix it for free forever. We could care less if you bought it at a garage sale or a gear swap, as long as it says Badlands on the pack it's covered. All we ask is that you use and abuse your pack as much as possible so we can learn how to make better products

How can you argue with that

bruin
12-22-2007, 02:52 PM
The Badlands packs look comfy but a 4500Cu in pack is only 73 liters and thats just not big enough for a two week sheep hunt. I have trouble getting all my stuff and half a sheep into a 90L pack.

MtnBoy
12-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Yup, I had one. I was really impressed with the comfort and quality of the pack. I had a Longhunter guide model. Tons of adjustment and lots of little extra's if you get the delux package. It served me well on my sheep hunt. No complaints at all.
Kevin.

BCrams
12-22-2007, 09:25 PM
I've seen and tried the pack out but I didn't like it. I've heard some guys like them.

When I tried the Barney pack, it blew me away and is an amazing pack for sheep hunting.

6 K
12-22-2007, 10:05 PM
B.C.Billies had one custom built for him, loves it. Send him a p.m. I am sure he tell all about it

pork n beans
12-22-2007, 10:50 PM
i have the zulu pack. it kicks ass. with the molle webbing you can put all kinds of external pockets. the modularity makes it so versatile i use it for a day pack and i can go for days with it. They are built pretty bullet proof and it's still comfortable with a lot of weight in it. they are $$ but it's worth it. like i said with the modularity i have the functionality of several packs in one so if you look at it that way it's a good deal. if you buy one you won't be disappointed.

tuchodi
12-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Just a question about the Kifaru packs, are they Waterproof?

bruin
12-23-2007, 02:15 PM
For the guys who own one, how do they customize these packs to your body? Is it as simple as your waist and torso height or is it more specific? What measurements are they taking?

BCbillies
12-30-2007, 11:19 PM
They required 4 measurements when I ordered the pack. I can't find the paperwork to find out exactly which measurements.

When I first recieved the pack I loaded up my old Saratus Superguide and the Kifaru with 80 lbs and needless to say I never put the old one on again. The first successful hunt with the pack we went deep and harvested two mature billies. I ended up with most of the meat (partner was a first time mountain hunter) and I was very impressed with the pack and never would have guessed it to weigh 125 lbs. I have the Longhunter Guide (117 litre) and wouldn't go with anything less. Although the pack doesn't have much for external pockets it has some nice features and is built by a hunter for hunters. The best people to ask about packs are the serious mountain hunting guides (Canadian Mountain Outfitters, Bolen & Lewis, etc) as they try out lots of gear and put it to the test. I found the Kifaru highly recommended and I would also look seriously at the Mystery Ranch (G6000). I find the guides leaning more toward the later but I have no need to want anything different. Like most packs they aren't 100% waterproof - I live coastal and haven't had a problem. I always put my cloths/sleeping bag in plastic regardless. A waterproof cover can be purchased for $60 (nothing is cheap with the Kifaru)! When I was 20 the $150 pack was great but when a guy is pushing close to 40 we need all the help we can and the $600 was well worth it. :D

kutenay
01-09-2008, 09:39 AM
I have two Kifaru packs, a Longhunter Rendevous and a Siwash, these are among the best packs availalble and they are costly. I also have five Mystery Ranch packs and these are my all-time favourites of the roughly 30 packs I have had in 44 years of serious backpacking.

I have a badlands Monster and had an original US made 4500 for about 3 years until it was stolen along with my original Dana Design Terraplane OK and custom Marmot-Grand Junction sleeping bag from my home here.....Rottweilers on duty now and they WILL attack intruders.

The Kifarus are certainly a fine hunting pack and can be fitted to any body shape, but, they impress me as being most suited to leaner, longer folks while the MR seem to suit stockier builds a bit better and can be too stiff in the waistbelt for slender people.

I am happy to allow people to try on any of my packs here at my home if you give me some advance notice by PM, here or on 24Hr, the only sites I frequent. I still have not sold my Rondy, but, would if the person wanted it and would pay a reasonable price, say $100.00 below retail, this pack is NEW, only used twice, it is the base model.

Islandeer
01-25-2008, 08:19 PM
How many litres is your Kifaru? Thanks!

kutenay
01-27-2008, 06:49 AM
I am "old school" and do't do metric which I regard as another Trudeauian ploy to ruin traditional Canada and make our country just another dictatorship, run by urban yuppies, geeks and nerdish social engineers.

So, with my morning rant out of the way ( a privilege of age, one of the very few!), the volumn of the "Rendevous" bag is 8500 cu. in., BUT, it easily compresses down as small as any pack I have seen and it weighs only 3 oz. more than the next smaller Kifaru pack, the "Guide".

One experienced backpack hunter I know on the 'net, bought a "Guide" and now wishes he had bought the "Rondy" as it will hold an Elk quarter plus your emerg. camp. It instantly makes into a "packboard" by removing the bag, but, why bother as it does so well as is.

There is NO "perfect" pack for everyone or every situation, but, these are one of the few really top packs made today and they are very popular among hunters for a good reason. I much prefer hunting with an internal to any pack frame and I have owned/used a number of those, don't like them much.

BCbillies
01-27-2008, 09:56 PM
The 8,500 cu. in. translates into 138 litre. If I were hunting larger game (elk, etc) I would go with the "Rondy". The 7,200 cu. in. (117 l) "Guide" is adequate for me as I usually hunt with a partner and focus on sheep and goat. If solo hunting I would definitely go for the larger pack - have never heard of having too much room in a pack! Only thing is when hunting with a buddy who has a smaller pack, guess who's carrying the heavier load? Can always swap packs, but depending upon what the other pack is I would in most cases want to keep the heavier load. :wink:

Kutenay - I may know of someone interested in the "Rondy".

Islandeer
01-27-2008, 11:45 PM
kutes, love the am tirade!! Thanks for the volume explantion.. I have a Cabellas Alaskan whatever, it's great but my son wants an internal frame for hunting and back packing in the other time of the year. So I will research this one, too bad i can't put my hands on one here.