PDA

View Full Version : books or articles on blacktail hunting?

5/10/85
12-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Don't know if any of you are readers out there, but I've found a plethora of books, articles, etc on patterning and hunting whitetail and muley, but virtually NOTHING on blacktails. I find this fairly incredible given blacktail hunting is so different than hunting whitetail or muley (terrain, habits, etc). Two questions:

1. Why is that?

2. Anybody know of anything good to read? Specifically related to BOWhunting would be great.

I'm getting tired of putting in SO much (bowhunting) time with not enough results.

Thnx

quadrakid
12-16-2007, 05:48 PM
there are simply millions more guys hunting whitetails in north america than mulies or blacktails due to their much larger range.thats why so many articles and books espouse the idea that whitails are the penultimate game species. mulies are usually thought of as the dumb western cousins and as for blacktails,most hunters west of the rockies know very little. you can find a few articles about blacktail hunting in bc in old issues of some canadian outdoors magazines as well as THE OUTDOOR EDGE, the bcwf magazine. i,ve found a few books on hunting blacktails but they were primarily focused on hunting them in oregon and northern california where the conditions are not quite the same as in bc. do a google search on blacktail deer and you will find some info. don,t google blacktail,you will get a far different result!

paulk
12-16-2007, 06:13 PM
Two good books are:

Blacktail Trophy Tactics 2 by Boyd Iverson

Bowhunting Trophy Blacktail by Cameron Hanes

Both are available online through Amazon.

A good book if you can find it used (it's out of print) is:

Hunting Black-Tailed Deer "An Oregon Perspective" by Louis G. Terkla

Hope this helps.

Paul

RMG
12-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Google abebooks

It is a site of used book sellers around the world. I do a lot of reading, and have bought probably close to 100 books off this sight. If it is in print, or ever was in print, someone on this site probably has it for sale. Most of the books I have bought, you can't tell them from new.

115 or bust
12-16-2007, 06:34 PM
everything above Blacktail trophy tactics is awesome and Cameron Haynes book looks good too hoping to get it for christmas :lol:

Husky7mm
12-16-2007, 08:01 PM
BLACKTAIL DEER HUNTING ADVENTURES, By wes Murphy
This book will help with none alpine blacktail hunting.

lapadat
12-16-2007, 08:32 PM
I'm getting tired of putting in SO much (bowhunting) time with not enough results.

Thnx

You can expect fantastic results while hunting for mature coastal blacktails but don't be dissapointed when you strike out over and over again. They are a very challenging animal to hunt successfully year after year in some of the most demanding terrain and weather conditions in BC.

Be patient and keep at it.....I know many people who go several seasons before connecting on bt's.

Reading and researching is a great place to start - then put it all into practice with some serious scouting efforts this spring/summer.

humble hunter
12-16-2007, 09:51 PM
You can read all you want but the most important thing is time in the field. Get to know the area that you hunt and start patterning the does. They will generally be in the same place and will follow the same habits. Then come november get near the does and the bucks will be there. Even after I had taken my second buck this year I still was going out every couple of mornings with my camera, scouting for next year. Yesterday when I was out trying to get my friend his first blacktail I noticed that the does seem to take the same funnel in and out of the tree line from the cutblock we were hunting. Last week they were taking the same funnel as well, I have now found the perfect spot for my tree stand next year. The best time to go is in the snow when tracks are easily seen and deer travel routes can be identified. When the snow is gone next year the deer will be taking the same trails. Good Luck!