PDA

View Full Version : Warm weather february elk

Rotorwash
02-12-2024, 01:05 PM
I have a cow elk draw for 7-21. It's warm and there's no snow. Anyone have any tips or advice for finding them?

Thanks

TylerMc44
02-12-2024, 02:14 PM
night times your best bet id say :)))))))

Gr8 white hunter
02-12-2024, 03:42 PM
I believe it's called hunting, you need to hunt for them not ask people where they are and hold your hand

TheObserver
02-12-2024, 04:53 PM
I believe it's called hunting, you need to hunt for them not ask people where they are and hold your hand

Lol!!! .

Woodchuck Dan
02-12-2024, 11:52 PM
I have a cow elk draw for 7-21. It's warm and there's no snow. Anyone have any tips or advice for finding them?

Thanks

Congratulations on your draw - Hopefully you will get lucky and get some snow in region 7, we just (finally) got a dump in 4.

Since the season is abnormally warm they should be in lower elevations than normal, hey? I have little (read: no) experience hunting elk and I'm curious how you would go about looking for cows in Feb. I can only think of the obvious of covering as much ground as possible while looking for sign / cow calling.

Let us know how your hunt turns out. Hopefully someone with experience in this will chip in.

You may also find Remi Warren's podcast "Live Wild" be helpful, he has 20+ years experience hunting elk and gives some good information

Sharpish
02-13-2024, 09:44 AM
Cover as much ground as you can looking for fresh sign. Water sources and food sources are a good bet. These animals go wherever they want, you gotta find them yourself.

high horse Hal
02-13-2024, 10:29 AM
Usual tactic when we go to 7-20 is drive the roads until fresh sign is found, then go ask the landowner
Gone are the days of just going to the local bar and buying a few rounds to get friendly info

bcsteve
02-13-2024, 03:19 PM
It’s called a hunting forum where hunters share tips and discuss hunting.

SSG-man
02-13-2024, 03:48 PM
It’s called a hunting forum where hunters share tips and discuss hunting.

Ya true, and funny how politics and off topic gets blamed for the demise of site?

Norwestalta
02-13-2024, 04:03 PM
I work on the east boundary and see lots of tracks here and there but I haven't seen much for animals standing in their tracks. Don't know how close you can hunt to the mine but the road to wolverine mine is a good option if you want to know what they look like.

Husky7mm
02-13-2024, 04:33 PM
Ya true, and funny how politics and off topic gets blamed for the demise of site?
[url=https://postimages.org/]https://i.postimg.cc/Jh7y6jSv/IMG-1889.jpg
I might point a contributor in the right direction particularly if I thought, or knew there were too many elk on someones farm that wanted them scared off but that would be about it.
The EK is a prime example of everyone telling everyone where the Elk were, 20000 elk down to 4000…….

Bigdoggdon
02-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Most of the elk in that area are found on private land. That's the whole point of that draw, to knock down the population so farmers don't complain about the damage that large herds of elk can do to feed pastures. Best advice is drive through farm areas and look for tracks going through people's fields and knock on those doors with a gift in your hand.

elker
02-13-2024, 08:17 PM

I would look at the same issue the other way. It is the politics and off topic that has instilled life to the dying forum. I remember that 15-18 years ago, so many fishing forums booming. Now most of them are gone. The way to receive information has changed. However, people always love the politics.

Rotorwash
02-13-2024, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the advice. I hit up some of the ranches and asked around and they all said the same thing. With the warm Temps and no snow the elk haven't been in the fields. I know what elk are up to in September and October. I have no idea what they are up to during February when there's green grass and feed everywhere.
We eventually did find a little sign and will work that and see what comes of it.

Husky7mm
02-13-2024, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the advice. I hit up some of the ranches and asked around and they all said the same thing. With the warm Temps and no snow the elk haven't been in the fields. I know what elk are up to in September and October. I have no idea what they are up to during February when there's green grass and feed everywhere.
We eventually did find a little sign and will work that and see what comes of it.
The grass is not green it’s natural silage, it’s decomposing, the snow actually preserves it so it doesn’t decompose. I would find new cut blocks in the zone of the draw, check out fat map and find the new blocks, the elk eat browse just like moose and deer, they like young alder, aspen and willow. These deciduous trees grown in the warm winter sun. The peace is loaded with this type of Forest, be close to farm land or river valleys.

Rotorwash
02-17-2024, 12:08 PM
Thanks all who helped. We eventually found some elk holed up in thick timber. It wasn't until the temperature got down below freezing that we started to find some fresh sign to get us in the right direction. Lots of miles on the boots and half a day to pack out. We had a blast.

Husky7mm
02-17-2024, 12:39 PM
Thanks all who helped. We eventually found some elk holed up in thick timber. It wasn't until the temperature got down below freezing that we started to find some fresh sign to get us in the right direction. Lots of miles on the boots and half a day to pack out. We had a blast.
Excellent! Did the cow still have lots of fat on it?

HarryToolips
02-18-2024, 11:14 PM

Right on congrats!

Rotorwash
02-21-2024, 10:03 AM
Excellent! Did the cow still have lots of fat on it?

No fat at all on her.

Woodchuck Dan
02-22-2024, 10:19 PM
Congrats - Any pictures?

Rotorwash
02-28-2024, 03:25 PM
Thanks! We were so focused on getting packed out before dark that we didn't even think about pictures

Husky7mm
03-02-2024, 04:05 PM
No fat at all on her.

Interesting, I would have thought they spent most of the winter living off there fat reserves.

Opinionated Ol Phart
03-02-2024, 05:58 PM
Yes-- its getting hard to get private property ok because of a few jerks--- but its worth a try.

Rotorwash
03-03-2024, 11:11 AM
I don't really know why. The winter has been very mild and feed is everywhere. I would think that would make for lots of fat. Maybe others in the herd were but not this one.

Squamch
03-04-2024, 07:13 AM
Yes-- its getting hard to get private property ok because of a few jerks--- but its worth a try.

We were up there a few years back, and it was colder in Victoria than Quesnel. Not a single farmer we spoke to was willing to let us on their land, horror stories of livestock shot, gut piles in fields, over-harvest, equipment shot up...

We went home hungry.

Husky7mm
03-04-2024, 12:45 PM
We were up there a few years back, and it was colder in Victoria than Quesnel. Not a single farmer we spoke to was willing to let us on their land, horror stories of livestock shot, gut piles in fields, over-harvest, equipment shot up...

We went home hungry.

I hear the same thing up hear in GP, and there is a fair bit of elk hitting the farmland in the winter. I am sure there are some jerks but its mostly regurgitating the same stories over and over to justify saying no. People aren’t so neighbourly anymore, especially near the big cities. The farmers seem to want to get paid for the elk depredation but not want stranger on their land. A gut pile on the field in winter is a poor excuse, the ravens and coyotes will have that gone in a day, probably in the fall too for what its worth.

Anyways, the entire fringe is crown land so figure it out, frame pack, calf sled, snow shoes, cross country skis, snowmobiles with skimmer. If there is a will, there is a way.

Squamch
03-07-2024, 07:20 AM
I hear the same thing up hear in GP, and there is a fair bit of elk hitting the farmland in the winter. I am sure there are some jerks but its mostly regurgitating the same stories over and over to justify saying no. People aren’t so neighbourly anymore, especially near the big cities. The farmers seem to want to get paid for the elk depredation but not want stranger on their land. A gut pile on the field in winter is a poor excuse, the ravens and coyotes will have that gone in a day, probably in the fall too for what its worth.

Anyways, the entire fringe is crown land so figure it out, frame pack, calf sled, snow shoes, cross country skis, snowmobiles with skimmer. If there is a will, there is a way.

I don't disagree, but dad has asbestosis, so he can't breathe well, 2 wrecked knees, his hips aren't all that awesome, and his back is actively trying for a hostile takeover of control. He was just there to shoot, I was the pack animal. He only put in with the hope that he would be able to sit a field. Hiking is off the books for him now.