PDA

View Full Version : Survival shelters

stoneramhunter
01-07-2024, 12:13 PM
In my many years in the back c

hunterdon
01-08-2024, 10:40 AM
One tool that I carry when out in the woods, especially when archery hunting or late season ventures is a garden hand pruner. Great for clearing a shooting lane or setting up a trail cam shooting lane.

However, as pertaining to a survival shelter, while not exactly a shelter in the sense of some kind of structure, it can be used as a shelter from the cold while overnighting. By cutting the branch tips of coniferous trees say 10 or 12 inches of tips or so, place them on the ground where you plan to sleep for the night. Whether dry ground, wet, frozen or snow covered, makes no difference.

Simply place cuttings forming a complete bed for your size. The key here is to cut LOTS of cuttings. You want to make the bed about a foot deep in cuttings. Finally cut several larger coniferous branches (lots of needles) lay them by the side of new bed. Lay down on the bed and cover yourself with the larger branches. This bed will keep you warm and dry throughout the night. No need for sleeping bag, blankets or anything else. Just the clothes you are wearing. Key word again here is LOTS cuttings.

I have done this high up the mountains in the dead of winter, and I was shocked at how warm and comfortable it was. Seriously. It's because the needles are hollow with trapped air creating a very good insulation and not allowing your own body heat to escape easily. In addition, the mat of needles keep you off the cold ground keeping you dry and not sucking your body heat. Give yourself at least an hour or more before light fails. 2 hours if conditions are cold and you want a real warm bed.

Works like a charm!

wideopenthrottle
01-08-2024, 11:22 AM
for making the bed of bows, take the largest branches first and poke the sharp stick into the ground (or snow). do a row of 6 or 8 with overlap. then make the next row in front of the last overlapping by about 2/3....add rows till long enough to lay on...it will form a nice springy base. then go over it again with the smaller branches (pointy side down again). we would do this when making lean-to's using the poles for the frame and the branches for the bedding and walls/roof. the bow bed also works well in a snow hut

HarryToolips
01-08-2024, 12:12 PM
One tool that I carry when out in the woods, especially when archery hunting or late season ventures is a garden hand pruner. Great for clearing a shooting lane or setting up a trail cam shooting lane.However, as pertaining to a survival shelter, while not exactly a shelter in the sense of some kind of structure, it can be used as a shelter from the cold while overnighting. By cutting the branch tips of coniferous trees say 10 or 12 inches of tips or so, place them on the ground where you plan to sleep for the night. Whether dry ground, wet, frozen or snow covered, makes no difference. Simply place cuttings forming a complete bed for your size. The key here is to cut LOTS of cuttings. You want to make the bed about a foot deep in cuttings. Finally cut several larger coniferous branches (lots of needles) lay them by the side of new bed. Lay down on the bed and cover yourself with the larger branches. This bed will keep you warm and dry throughout the night. No need for sleeping bag, blankets or anything else. Just the clothes you are wearing. Key word again here is LOTS cuttings.I have done this high up the mountains in the dead of winter, and I was shocked at how warm and comfortable it was. Seriously. It's because the needles are hollow with trapped air creating a very good insulation and not allowing your own body heat to escape easily. In addition, the mat of needles keep you off the cold ground keeping you dry and not sucking your body heat. Give yourself at least an hour or more before light fails. 2 hours if conditions are cold and you want a real warm bed. Works like a charm!Wow, I've used beds in the past made of conifer boughs, but never used them as blankets...I'm truly shocked that it would be that effective, but I didn't know the needles are hollow, so good to know... how thick was the layer of boughs on top of you? Did you notice the added warmth soon or did it take awhile?

stoneramhunter
01-08-2024, 12:39 PM
Wow, I've used beds in the past made of conifer boughs, but never used them as blankets...I'm truly shocked that it would be that effective, but I didn't know the needles are hollow, so good to know... how thick was the layer of boughs on top of you? Did you notice the added warmth soon or did it take awhile?

wikiup shelters that i ha

TheObserver
01-08-2024, 12:41 PM
Going to be tanning my own hides this year making rawhide, leather, buckskin and pelts to eventually make some boots and clothing/gloves, belts etc. Using natural methods that include brain tanning and bark tanning.

This has spurred my interest in survival and bushcraft, and I have bee studying on this alot lately. There are SO many shelters you can make with logs/branches and an array of other stuff out there it is crazy. I will be doin alot of these this year first one will be a basic lashing of two tripods with a ridgepole then craft together tree roots/bark rope, branches and boughs for the roof and then waterproof with bark there are a few that do a good job including birch, like others have mentioned boughs on the ground under you, can also craft a cot out of branches/logs and get up off the ground put warmth below you.

So many ways to make a shelter out there ive got a lot listed to try, among all sorts of other stuff.

All this has got me interested in making a longbow, but one thing at a time haha.

wideopenthrottle
01-08-2024, 01:40 PM
in my day pack i always have 2 of those heavy duty plastic garbage bags....i also have my sitting cushion in my day pack to help survive a wet night in the bush

hunterdon
01-08-2024, 04:56 PM
Wow, I've used beds in the past made of conifer boughs, but never used them as blankets...I'm truly shocked that it would be that effective, but I didn't know the needles are hollow, so good to know... how thick was the layer of boughs on top of you? Did you notice the added warmth soon or did it take awhile?

Actually, it didn't take long at all to get toasty warm. Probably because you are actually quite busy cutting and walking back and forth, and generally active preparing the bed. So, in short your pulse rate is up a bit before turning in for the night. You can put as many larger boughs on top of you as you can, Just make sure you are completely covered well so your body heat mostly remains. All you are doing is trapping your own body heat. Honestly, I was really comfortable all night and slept like a baby.

Unlike the original poster, I did not have the unfortunate separation from my horses and gear. I actually was cougar hunting high up a certain mountain which was a winter range for mule deer. No roads there, and didn't want to travel using noisy snowmobiles. I chose to snowshoe up there and of course wanted to travel as light as possible. So, by choice that was my planned bedding. Thought if things got a little chilly, I would simply make a fire. Turned out, did not need it at all. No success that solo cougar hunt. But it was certainly was a good workout on those snowshoes going up that mountain. In my younger days of course.:lol:

Sounds like some here have some variables as to how they do it. If it's works for them then great. That's how I do it.

stoneramhunter
01-08-2024, 05:13 PM
Actually, it didn't take long at all to get toasty warm. Probably because you are actually quite busy cutting and walking back and forth, and generally active preparing the bed. So, in short your pulse rate is up a bit before turning in for the night. You can put as many larger boughs on top of you as you can, Just make sure you are completely covered well so your body heat mostly remains. All you are doing is trapping your own body heat. Honestly, I was really comfortable all night and slept like a baby.

Unlike the original poster, I did not have the unfortunate separation from my horses and gear. I actually was cougar hunting high up a certain mountain which was a winter range for mule deer. No roads there, and didn't want to travel using noisy snowmobiles. I chose to snowshoe up there and of course wanted to travel as light as possible. So, by choice that was my planned bedding. Thought if things got a little chilly, I would simply make a fire. Turned out, did not need it at all. No success that solo cougar hunt. But it was certainly was a good workout on those snowshoes going up that mountain. In my younger days of course.:lol:

Sounds like some here have some variables as to how they do it. If it's works for them then great. That's how I do it.

You never know when you

HarryToolips
01-08-2024, 07:56 PM
Actually, it didn't take long at all to get toasty warm. Probably because you are actually quite busy cutting and walking back and forth, and generally active preparing the bed. So, in short your pulse rate is up a bit before turning in for the night. You can put as many larger boughs on top of you as you can, Just make sure you are completely covered well so your body heat mostly remains. All you are doing is trapping your own body heat. Honestly, I was really comfortable all night and slept like a baby. Unlike the original poster, I did not have the unfortunate separation from my horses and gear. I actually was cougar hunting high up a certain mountain which was a winter range for mule deer. No roads there, and didn't want to travel using noisy snowmobiles. I chose to snowshoe up there and of course wanted to travel as light as possible. So, by choice that was my planned bedding. Thought if things got a little chilly, I would simply make a fire. Turned out, did not need it at all. No success that solo cougar hunt. But it was certainly was a good workout on those snowshoes going up that mountain. In my younger days of course.:lol:Sounds like some here have some variables as to how they do it. If it's works for them then great. That's how I do it.Ya that's so cool that you learned that the boughs can provide insulation like that, I've never even seen that or read that anywhere, not even the SAS survival guide for example..neither did we learn this valuable knowledge in the military either...

HarryToolips
01-08-2024, 08:33 PM
Unlike the OP, I haven't had to make a survival shelter in an actual survival situation, but have done solo exercises on occasion, mostly sleeping with a sleeping bag, which kept me quite warm...on the instances where I didn't use a sleeping bag it would have been nice to know the info that Hunterdon provided...here are a few examples of the shelters I've done:

The first 2 were simple ones, to practice making simple wind- breaks...the 2nd one I purposely built near a stump, to have an easy way to keep the fire out of the snow, that worked very well; by morning the stump was completely burned, and the roots were actually on fire underground (no fire hazard, it was middle of February):

https://i.imgur.com/sn0RCGi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qPLNNDF.jpg

HarryToolips
01-08-2024, 08:36 PM
https://i.imgur.com/xH7iIbE.jpg

Also a great way to melt snow for water, and load it with fir needles at the same time, providing vitamins A & C:

https://i.imgur.com/mIvqRwR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/rgLGM7q.jpg

HarryToolips
01-08-2024, 08:37 PM
This shelter was really cozy: the reflective rock on the back side of the fire was very effective:

https://i.imgur.com/RwsPco4.jpg

HarryToolips
01-08-2024, 08:38 PM
https://i.imgur.com/MnpB3Ol.jpg

stoneramhunter
01-08-2024, 08:42 PM
https://i.imgur.com/MnpB3Ol.jpg

great pics

HarryToolips
01-08-2024, 09:57 PM
great picsThanks man...BTW, if ya ever want to mentor a younger hunter for sheep, goat or elk just let me know, I'm sure I could learn a lot from you...and I'm not afraid of long grueling pack outs..

stoneramhunter
01-08-2024, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=HarryToolips;2431379]Thanks man...BTW, if ya ever want to mentor a younger hunter for sheep, goat or elk just let me know, I'm sure I could learn a lot from you...and I'm not afraid of long grueling pack outs..[/QOTE]

Your welcome . I've hel

HarryToolips
01-08-2024, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=HarryToolips;2431379]Thanks man...BTW, if ya ever want to mentor a younger hunter for sheep, goat or elk just let me know, I'm sure I could learn a lot from you...and I'm not afraid of long grueling pack outs..[/QOTE]

Your welcome . I've helped several hunters from this site get their first ram. Had the pleasure of a great hike in for sheep last season with two members from here and harvest a nice ram. Planning a solo sheep hunt for myself next year and a second sheep hunt with another member later who knows may be room for one more.

OK great, just let me know...

ratherbefishin
01-09-2024, 08:54 AM
We once came across an overturned canoe and scattered equipment below some rapids on a river up on the Yukon border , thought it was going to be a recovery operation, but found the survivors had walked out..the key to their survival was a pill bottle in their pocket with fire starting stuff(duct tape and a lighter)..they were able to get a fire going in the freezing temperatures ,and avoided hypothermia

stoneramhunter
01-09-2024, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=ratherbefis

wideopenthrottle
01-09-2024, 12:44 PM
Good for them to be prepared . i also make sure to have a a way to start a fire on me at all times.

one of my annual gifts to hunting partners is i get a pack of lighters and give each person one (i hate to lend a lighter cuz half the time it doesnt come back heheheh)...i usually have no less than 5 lighters and a magnesium rod on me when hunting...1 in pocket, 2 in day pack, 1 or 2 in the survival kit/knife belt kit with the mag rod.

hunterdon
01-09-2024, 01:13 PM
You never know when you might find yourself in a bad situation so having the skills to expect the unexpected its defiantly an asset

Well said. Great to hear that you are also helping other hunters the way you do. Actions do speak louder than words.

Ya that's so cool that you learned that the boughs can provide insulation like that, I've never even seen that or read that anywhere, not even the SAS survival guide for example..neither did we learn this valuable knowledge in the military either...

Interesting comment. I have never heard or read of this either. Not saying it has not been done before. I'm sure it has. No doubt about that. The truth is that I am of Wendat (Huron) descent, and like many of our indigenous people, we have lost much of our culture and knowledge as to how to survive in the wilds. As I have no one to mentor me in that regard, so I really try to relearn some of that lost knowledge on my own. It is in that spirit that I motivate myself, and feel free to share some of what I learn.

I will also say, that I believe this yearning to learn our roots is not exclusive to indigenous peoples. Ancient Europeans were also very adapt and knowledgeable in surviving in the wilds as well. They have also lost a great deal of knowledge also. That is perhaps why many hunters here of European descent love hunting and being in the wilds as it also brings them closer to their ancestral roots also, even if they don't think of it that way.

That' enough of philosophy for me. Yes, great pictures Harry. Love that old British army 303 rifle!

Arctic Lake
01-09-2024, 01:23 PM
The new smaller Bic lighters with the extended tube are a lot better to use than the old ones with the plastic body and chrome mental where the roller is https://us.bic.com/en_us/bic-lighters/ez-reach.html
Arctic Lake.
one of my annual gifts to hunting partners is i get a pack of lighters and give each person one (i hate to lend a lighter cuz half the time it doesnt come back heheheh)...i usually have no less than 5 lighters and a magnesium rod on me when hunting...1 in pocket, 2 in day pack, 1 or 2 in the survival kit/knife belt kit with the mag rod.

HarryToolips
01-09-2024, 10:23 PM
Good for them to be prepared . i also make sure to have a a way to start a fire on me at all times.

Same here....when I go in da bush I at minimum have a fire starter and a knife on me...

HarryToolips
01-09-2024, 10:29 PM
Well said. Great to hear that you are also helping other hunters the way you do. Actions do speak louder than words.

Interesting comment. I have never heard or read of this either. Not saying it has not been done before. I'm sure it has. No doubt about that. The truth is that I am of Wendat (Huron) descent, and like many of our indigenous people, we have lost much of our culture and knowledge as to how to survive in the wilds. As I have no one to mentor me in that regard, so I really try to relearn some of that lost knowledge on my own. It is in that spirit that I motivate myself, and feel free to share some of what I learn.

I will also say, that I believe this yearning to learn our roots is not exclusive to indigenous peoples. Ancient Europeans were also very adapt and knowledgeable in surviving in the wilds as well. They have also lost a great deal of knowledge also. That is perhaps why many hunters here of European descent love hunting and being in the wilds as it also brings them closer to their ancestral roots also, even if they don't think of it that way.

That' enough of philosophy for me. Yes, great pictures Harry. Love that old British army 303 rifle!

Thanks buddy....you're right, that's how all of our ancestors survived.... good on ya for making the effort to re learn those skills...

wideopenthrottle
01-10-2024, 11:46 AM

so great to hear that others can appreciate traditional knowledge from other cultures...i am 7th generation Canadian and i have learned most of what i know about the bush from my parents, grandparents, and even great grandparents (still had half my GGP's alive as a teen). My other traditional knowledge came from the 3 young fellas that took us camping 8 or 10 times a year as a boyscout. My best buddy's Dad (Latvian) was the regional biologist or NW Ontario (Kenora) and fine tuned a lot of traditional knowledge with science.

Arctic Lake
01-10-2024, 01:25 PM
I saw this on YouTube a bit ago and thought it would be a good fit in this thread !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJHB4bwtrFE

stoneramhunter
01-10-2024, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE=Arctic Lake;2431603]I saw this o

TheObserver
01-10-2024, 09:06 PM
I saw this on YouTube a bit ago and thought it would be a good fit in this thread !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJHB4bwtrFE

Some good channels on youtube for bushcraft/survival:

Clay Hayes (good source for bow making too)
Coalcracker Bushcraft
Woodsbound Outdoors
The Bear Essentials
Kirill Multitool
Primitive Technology (this guy has some serious skill!)
Ted Baird

Good info, more geared toward natural tanning and growing food:
SkillCult
The Woodland Escape

Bushcraft forums are good too, if anyone knows any good books on the subject or other useful channels i'm all ears.

stoneramhunter
01-21-2024, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=TheObserver;2431695]Some

HarryToolips
01-21-2024, 10:22 PM
there is defiantly a lot of good videos on youtube re survival. great way to kill an hour watching them

Indeed....Outdoor boys is another gooder...and thanks for posting that Arctic Lake, I'm going to try to listen/watch it later..

CAC
01-22-2024, 11:14 AM
I always carry a means of making fire and a light shelter such as a tarp. Tarps are great for when your out and run into a storm passing through or need shelter from the sun as well. As mentioned bough beds are great.

https://www.amazon.ca/Aqua-Quest-Defender-Tarp-Waterproof/dp/B01FKNEGPQ/ref=sr_1_13?crid=V9FRYZY60J6&qid=1705947020&sprefix=tarp+backpac,aps,202&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.b06bdbbe-20fd-4ebc-88cf-fa04f1ca0da8&th=1

(https://www.amazon.ca/Aqua-Quest-Defender-Tarp-Waterproof/dp/B01FKNEGPQ/ref=sr_1_13?crid=V9FRYZY60J6&qid=1705947020&sprefix=tarp+backpac,aps,202&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.b06bdbbe-20fd-4ebc-88cf-fa04f1ca0da8&th=1)

stoneramhunter
05-25-2024, 08:29 PM
Good idea to carr

https://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG-20180812-WA0011.jpg

Bubbacanuck
05-28-2024, 10:14 AM
What size is good for a single individual with trying to keep gear dry as well? 10'x10' or would a 13'x10' be better for the additional 1/2lb?

stoneramhunter
05-28-2024, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=Bubbacanuck;2447173]What size