PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Boots

TriggerMag
12-15-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm in desperate need for new boots something in a wide width, and insulated.
So many to choose from, Was looking at the Lowa Sheep hunter, but I can't find a dealer in the interior.
Can anyone steer my in the right direction in regards to boots and dealers.

bensonvalley
12-15-2007, 12:11 PM
I bought some Lowa Sheep Hunters from Schnees but I don't see them on their website anymore...doesn't look like they sell them now.
I like them; I've used them for several hunting seasons now, including a hard 7 day hike-in hunt this past Sept...no blisters, dry feet all day despite crossing wide creeks. We were in damn steep country and packing heavy loads and had zero feet/ankle troubles. The one thing I've noticed, and it seems pretty minor is the rand is pulling away on one boot in a small area...but I also wear these boots almost every day in the bush for work. My hunting partners have the Meindl Canada Pro hunter boots and they put them through the same use with not a single complaint...so you won't go wrong with either of these two boots.
Given the high loonie it might make sense to order from the States.
http://www.bakershoe.com/lowa-boots-catalog/index.html

444marlin
12-15-2007, 04:10 PM
I have a pair of Kayland boots. Had a pair of Mendels years ago which I loved. Could not find a retailer in Victoria when replacement time came.
I would say the Kaylands are just as good. Very comfortable on my wide feet.

Jagermeister
12-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Here's a link to a good boot. One of the Alaskan guide/outfitters recommends these to his clients. And as you will see, they are cheaper than when I bought them and this outfit is expedient in shipping.
http://www.backcountry.com/store/LSP0043/c100000009/s21/La-Sportiva-Glacier-EVO-Mountaineering-Boot-Mens.html

12-15-2007, 06:20 PM
http://www.workboot.com/ Having wide feet myself, l found this outfit offered a great boot that has hung in well for the last 2 years and are a B.C. company.

115 or bust
12-15-2007, 06:37 PM
My only advice is try on a pair of Meindahls and then try on everything else. lol Its too late then they will make the decision for you :lol:

Deaddog
12-15-2007, 06:56 PM
call Larry Fisher at Fishers hardware in vernon, they carry meindels and he knows his stuff, he will put you into the right boot for you, DD

TriggerMag
12-16-2007, 06:42 PM
how much insulation does the lowas and the meindel have in them?

Clam
12-17-2007, 02:28 PM
On Saturday I passed through A J Brooks (1-866-719-6072) and 3 Vets (604-872-5475). As well as new Meindls, A J also sells slightly used Meindls at reduced prices. 3 V, on the other hand, sells a wide assortment of overstock and discontinued new boots at reduced prices. Perhaps one of these may have something in your size.

I am currently comparing and contrasting Danner Fort Lewis and Meindl Eagle boots. It is really difficult to decide which I like better. Both are well made, warm, dry and very comfy.

One of the advantages of life here in the LM is the tremendous variety of merchandise and good deals available if you know where to look.

There must be some other advantage to living here but I can't thnk of any off hand.

Wildman
12-17-2007, 02:50 PM
www.hoffmanboots.com (http://www.hoffmanboots.com) best boots I've ever owned.

ruttinbuck
12-17-2007, 06:28 PM
how much insulation does the lowas and the meindel have in them?
The canada pro which seems to be the prefered model for serious mtn country has none.I wear base and wool layered socks in mine and only get cold feet if I sit too long at temps below about -8'.
Cabelas has a similar meindl boot with 200gr of thinsulate on board,pricey though{import duty} until they open a store in Canada.RB

wrenchhead
12-18-2007, 05:58 PM
call Larry Fisher at Fishers hardware in vernon, they carry meindels and he knows his stuff, he will put you into the right boot for you, DD
i second larry fisher.
he knows carrys a good selection of meindels. iv bought several pairs from hin over the years and never had a complaint. there are several different ones he carries too right from casual shoes to a full insulated winter boot.

kennyj
01-01-2008, 12:00 AM
I bought a pair of Schnees 10'' hunter boots about 6 or 7 years ago and they're the only boot I'll ever own.They can resole them for a resonable price.Mine are finally worn out after 3 new soles.They're great in the mountains and in the swamps.I have wide feet also.
ken

BigSlapper
01-01-2008, 12:21 AM
... It doesn't get any better than Meindel !