PDA

View Full Version : Conservation group buys out hunting rights

IronNoggin
01-05-2024, 12:15 PM
Conservation group buys out hunting rights in B.C.'s Great Bear Rainforest to protect wildlife

A conservation group says its latest purchase of exclusive hunting rights in a British Columbia rainforest is a major step toward protecting the area's wildlife, but hunters say the move is an "abuse" of the licensing system.

The Raincoast Conservation Foundation, based in Sidney, B.C., said Thursday that it raised $1.92 million over two years to buy the rights from hunters that cover roughly a quarter, or 18,000 square kilometres, of the Great Bear Rainforest on the province's north and central coast.

Raincoast has been buying hunting rights in the province since 2005, after a 2001 moratorium on grizzly bear hunting approved by an NDP government was overturned when the Liberals were elected to government.

The province again brought in a ban on grizzly hunting in 2017 after the NDP returned to power, but Falconer said Raincoast will continue its efforts because there are many other species the group can protect by controlling hunting tenures.

"We are required to do hunts in order to maintain these territories at this point," Falconer said.

"We've been very unsuccessful at those hunts, and so the harvest rate has gone down to zero in those properties. We just have very, very poor hunters."

Hunting group calls purchase an abuse of licensing

Raincoast's purchases, however, have upset the group Hunters for B.C., which says the move amounts to abusing commercial licensing to stifle legal hunting activities.

The group's president Robin Unrau said the 2017 ban on grizzly hunting put several outfitters in a difficult financial situation, which gave conservation groups like Raincoast an opportunity to the buy tenures from hunters with the plan to not hunt.

"Whether they're taking them out hunting physically or whether it's just on paper to look good, it should be written better that a hunting tenure is for the purpose of hunting and not as we say just going through the motion on paper and using this propaganda," Unrau said.

Unrau said hunting, when done responsibly, is actually a key tool in maintaining biodiversity and balance in a given region, and Hunters for B.C. are members of the Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Coalition that play a role in conservation efforts.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/conservation-group-buys-out-hunting-rights-in-b-c-s-great-bear-rainforest-to-protect-wildlife-1.7075126

IronNoggin
01-05-2024, 12:44 PM
Robin Unrau is correct. This is nothing but a SCAM.
A scam supported by the current provincial government.
Hunting concessions in the Province mandate that the controlling interest offer and engage in actual hunts - or lose the concession.

The province is well aware of this, yet still support it.

Beyond SAD!

high horse Hal
01-05-2024, 12:58 PM
No teeth to the rules....for some of those people
Definition of g/o territory operations is so veiled its not even grey

not much different than folks buying trap lines for recreation benefits

IronNoggin
01-06-2024, 02:32 PM
Some of The Most Nonsensical Biased "reporting" you will ever see.
Watch the label tossing - heart string tugging video to see what I mean.

https://www.cheknews.ca/conservation-group-buys-out-hunting-rights-in-b-c-rainforest-to-protect-wildlife-1184545/

TheObserver
01-06-2024, 02:59 PM
Just one more small step/erosion of rights in the anti hunting agenda, this is just another part of how the state/gov and NGOs like the united nations are banning legal hunting without them actually outright telling you.

These fake BS dumbass conservation and animal rights groups are really just what the aforementioned are hiding behind (and own) so they can make it all seem legitimate to the ignorant and like they aren't responsible for the banning.

northernguy
01-06-2024, 05:48 PM
Legit question here; but did the local First Nations have to be consulted about the sale of the Guide Territory? It seems they have to be consulted on just about everything and I know they are factored into the quota decisions that affect the Outfitter, so I would like to know what their take on the sale is.

That should have been reported in the article.

Many of these eco groups are simply environmental-colonialists. They have been since the Clayquot Sound protests in the '90s.

carnivore
01-06-2024, 06:29 PM
Robin Unrau is correct. This is nothing but a SCAM.
A scam supported by the current provincial government.
Hunting concessions in the Province mandate that the controlling interest offer and engage in actual hunts - or lose the concession.

The province is well aware of this, yet still support it.

Beyond SAD!

Regarding the mandate that the controlling interest offer and engage in actual hunts, I read that one of the principals stated that they do/will offer hunts but to very poor hunters that don't harvest anything.:mad:

high horse Hal
01-06-2024, 11:01 PM
Legit question here; but did the local First Nations have to be consulted about the sale of the Guide Territory? It seems they have to be consulted on just about everything and I know they are factored into the quota decisions that affect the Outfitter, so I would like to know what their take on the sale is.

......Probably smiling feather to feather, groups trading hard cash for the rights to hunt, must be a real chuckle for them
One less user group can only make life easier

elimsprint
01-07-2024, 10:11 AM
I may be misreading this but BC citizens are still allowed to hunt these areas are they not?

elimsprint
01-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Wrong thread

N¡ck
01-07-2024, 04:00 PM
Lots of that kind of thing has been happening in the States for a long time. Down side of property rights and capitalism. Big money can buy out pretty much anything, farms, ranches, lands, etc, and block out the public. At least here residents are still allowed to go. For now...

Hunter gatherer
01-07-2024, 04:49 PM
I maybe misreading this but BC citizens are still allowed to hunt these areas are they not?
I thought the same,they bought the guiding part. I believe as a resident you can still hunt there. True or not?

N¡ck
01-07-2024, 09:11 PM
Of what I understand it's only guiding. Does not effect residents. The conservationist podcast talks about it on a recent show.

Redthies
01-10-2024, 12:21 AM
We should all go hunt there next year, since there will be no excellent guides taking out the big animals!:mrgreen:

.330 Dakota
01-10-2024, 07:10 AM
I may be misreading this but BC citizens are still allowed to hunt these areas are they not?

Yes residents can still hunt there, also the tags allocated for the outfitter(s) in these territories revert back to the residents pool if not hunted the following year. So if there was still a griz hunt, those tags would be allotted back into the LEH system

Ed George
01-10-2024, 08:29 AM
The only measure of whether the guide is using their allocation is cut tags. How many hunts successful or not the guide sells is the guides business, they can sell one tag as many times as they want to. When a guide sells a hunt they sell it based on success rates.

According to the provincial allocation policy if a guide is not using, cutting tags, their allocation will roll back into the resident hunters allocation and that is for all species under allocation.

358mag
01-11-2024, 08:48 AM
We should all go hunt there next year, since there will be no excellent guides taking out the big animals!:mrgreen:
full your boots not a lot of game up there other than few goats and bears .
no access other than boat or plane . Good luck

358mag
01-11-2024, 08:49 AM
Remember that the Federation is a partner with Rainforest.

Redthies
01-11-2024, 09:35 AM
full your boots not a lot of game up there other than few goats and bears .
no access other than boat or plane . Good luck

The big green grinning thing denotes a joke.

Darksith
01-11-2024, 10:12 AM
Yes residents can still hunt there, also the tags allocated for the outfitter(s) in these territories revert back to the residents pool if not hunted the following year. So if there was still a griz hunt, those tags would be allotted back into the LEH system

Hunted or harvested?

Lets say a GO gets 100 grizzly tags, but they only consistently harvest 10, would their quota eventually get shrunk and the resident quota go up? That would fix a lot of this issue. Hunted is BS, a GO with 10 tag quota could do the hunt 100 times as long as hes not shooting more than 10. I know some GO's oversell sheep hunts knowing they only have a 70% success rate and they just limit if required the # of hunts the last year of their quota

high horse Hal
01-11-2024, 01:13 PM
Remember that the Federation is a partner with Rainforest.partner? in what context?
Rainforest does good things for BC hunters too, whether intentional or not

high horse Hal
01-11-2024, 01:15 PM
Hunted or harvested?

Lets say a GO gets 100 grizzly tags, but they only consistently harvest 10, would their quota eventually get shrunk and the resident quota go up? That would fix a lot of this issue. Hunted is BS, a GO with 10 tag quota could do the hunt 100 times as long as hes not shooting more than 10. I know some GO's oversell sheep hunts knowing they only have a 70% success rate and they just limit if required the # of hunts the last year of their quotathe very reason quotas are over a period of time, allows for seasonal fluctuations in harvest. Nothing hinges on a single year

Darksith
01-11-2024, 09:04 PM
the very reason quotas are over a period of time, allows for seasonal fluctuations in harvest. Nothing hinges on a single year

of course and thats fine as long as harvests are happening. If an outfitter or even IMO a trap line owner isn't actually harvesting/trapping and has 0 over their full 5 year stretch they should go into probation and be at risk of losing their trap line.

hawk-i
01-11-2024, 09:46 PM
BC residents can hunt the area as normal as long as there is a open season...a bonus for us actually.

2chodi
01-11-2024, 10:22 PM
the very reason quotas are over a period of time, allows for seasonal fluctuations in harvest. Nothing hinges on a single year

Actually, quotas are annual, are based on an annual allowable harvest (AAH) and resident/guided hunter split, are fixed (i.e. quota is a guarantee to an outfitter once issued) and are appealable. It is the five-year allocation that is "notional" and can be changed during the allocation period. Quota is generally 1/5 of the five-year allocation plus administrative guidelines and small quota considerations in some cases. An outfitter can usually take up to 30% of their five year allocation in a single year as long as the overall five year allocation is not exceeded. If the AAH changes during the a five-year allocation period, that throws a monkey wrench into things.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/natural-resource-stewardship/laws-policies-standards-guidance/environmental-guidance-and-policy/wildlife-policy

358mag
01-12-2024, 10:05 AM
partner? in what context?
Rainforest does good things for BC hunters too, whether intentional or not
Like cancel the grizzly bear hunt ?
please advise us on what good Rainforest does for us .

2chodi
01-12-2024, 10:13 AM
Of greater interest is Raincoast's admittance, true or not, on Mike Smyth's show on CKNW/Global that they guide trophy hunters. https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/anti-hunting-group-buys-up-hunting-licences/id1513208574?i=1000641211349

"we haven't killed any bears"

"we have a very specific clientele that is very very fussy - they are looking for Boone and Crockett world records and we haven't been able to provide that and they decide to shoot them with cameras instead"

358mag
01-12-2024, 10:22 PM
Of greater interest is Raincoast's admittance, true or not, on Mike Smyth's show on CKNW/Global that they guide trophy hunters. https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/anti-hunting-group-buys-up-hunting-licences/id1513208574?i=1000641211349

"we haven't killed any bears"

"we have a very specific clientele that is very very fussy - they are looking for Boone and Crockett world records and we haven't been able to provide that and they decide to shoot them with cameras instead"

and if you by that line of bullshit you must believe in the words of Justin Trudeau and Jagmeet Singh