PDA

View Full Version : Upper Stave Stolen canoe!!

TroyM
12-31-2023, 02:17 PM
Hello,

i recently had my 16 ft frontiersman white in colour fibreglass canoe STOLEN approx 8km on the UPPER STAVE area. Some time between OCT 20,2023 and now.

the canoe was marked with my first and last name on both ends of the canoe and it took a bit of effort for me to get it to where it was. If anybody was up there hunting for LEH elk this past fall and saw someone moving a canoe around, please reach out to
me via private message or give me a call 604 306 2750.

Its very unsettling to know that another hunter may have knowingly taken my property in a fairly hard to logistically reach area and i am not happy about it. You need a boat and an atv or truck to have moved a canoe that long. i have attached a picture of my canoe when i brought it up there.

thanks

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9166&stc=1

RICKADY
01-01-2024, 01:54 PM
I hope you get it back, i hate people that steal, been ripped off enough time's.
The felling never change's no matter how many time's it happen's.

Rickady

Archive
01-01-2024, 03:01 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9167&stc=1http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9168&stc=1

Arctic Lake
01-01-2024, 04:21 PM
Sorry for your loss Troy ! When I was very young I took something that wasn’t mine ,it was my stepfathers .
He found out and I was dealt an unforgettable amount of lashings to my bare ass with a leather belt .That learned me , I never stole again !
Arctic Lake

hawk-i
01-01-2024, 06:01 PM
I had a quad stolen from my garage so I know what it feels like to lose an expensive toy...I think leaving a canoe in the bush for an extended period of time is very trusting in human behavior. Hope you get it back.

180grainer
01-01-2024, 06:12 PM
Hello,

i recently had my 16 ft frontiersman white in colour fibreglass canoe STOLEN approx 8km on the UPPER STAVE area. Some time between OCT 20,2023 and now.

the canoe was marked with my first and last name on both ends of the canoe and it took a bit of effort for me to get it to where it was. If anybody was up there hunting for LEH elk this past fall and saw someone moving a canoe around, please reach out to
me via private message or give me a call 604 306 2750.

Its very unsettling to know that another hunter may have knowingly taken my property in a fairly hard to logistically reach area and i am not happy about it. You need a boat and an atv or truck to have moved a canoe that long. i have attached a picture of my canoe when i brought it up there.

thanks

You might want to inform the police of that as those would be your first suspects. Long shot for sure, but remote area with hunters in the area? Wonder how many tags were given out?

srupp
01-01-2024, 06:20 PM
SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS grrrrrrrr thiefs really piss me off...when i watched the poor unfortunate native THIEF leave my garage with my new generator...burned my ass...sort of feel your justified anger

hope you get your property back....undamaged.

Steven

brian
01-02-2024, 02:46 PM
Is there any chance that they thought it was salvage or abandoned?

Downwindtracker2
01-02-2024, 02:51 PM
Much.Much more the hassle of getting it up there, then the value of that canoe. That @$$hole.

FishandSticks
01-02-2024, 03:14 PM

^ This is possible, if you did not have it chained?

But if it was in the bush a bit should not have been touched.

Sorry to hear though, sucks!!

I have come accross a few unattended boats up on shore of lakes during my travels.

islandhunter
01-02-2024, 03:39 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9167&stc=1http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9168&stc=1

Haha, you think a sasquatch stole it?!?
Bummer on losing it, I too have had most things I stashed in the bush taken. That is what you have to expect

BeerMan
01-02-2024, 05:55 PM
There is way to much crap being left in the bush these days. sorry about your canoe , but almost every little secret lake I go to these days, has multiple HIDDEN boats.

TroyM
01-03-2024, 09:57 AM

that would be fair to say, but it was marked with my name on both ends and was in great shape, no damage and clearly been just placed there. Not strewn about or covered in moss etc.

Much.Much more the hassle of getting it up there, then the value of that canoe. That @$$hole.

yes the value is in the location

^ This is possible, if you did not have it chained?

But if it was in the bush a bit should not have been touched.

Sorry to hear though, sucks!!

I have come accross a few unattended boats up on shore of lakes during my travels.

not chained but clearly marked as my property and 7-8km from the nearest lake shore in the bush.

i know i wont get it back but there is a chance who ever took it may be reading this. Either way the word is spread. Dont steal stuff from me in the bush, it is messing with my adventure plans and not appreciated the slightest. I am confident it was someone hunting because of the time frame it was taken. Its not a popular area to go that late in the season unless your hunting a particular species.

thank you for the replies everyone.

Dirty
01-03-2024, 01:18 PM
I’m not justifying theft, but in my opinion there is a disconnect between expectations and common sense. In today’s day and age you are expecting something left on crown land to be there when you get back? Firstly, as far as I am aware it is not lawful to store things on crown land and perhaps somebody took offence to the junk laying around? Have you tried calling the COs?

TroyM
01-03-2024, 02:44 PM
I’m not justifying theft, but in my opinion there is a disconnect between expectations and common sense. In today’s day and age you are expecting something left on crown land to be there when you get back? Firstly, as far as I am aware it is not lawful to store things on crown land and perhaps somebody took offence to the junk laying around? Have you tried calling the COs?

looking for who stole my canoe. Not your opinion on this or that. I later found out there has been other items stolen from other people they had stored up there as well. This is somebody who is stealing things because theres no one around to say otherwise and its not ok. Over 800 people have viewed this thread already. Someone or someones buddy knows something about stealing my stuff and the other persons stuff as well.

Ron.C
01-03-2024, 02:52 PM
Shitty to loose your stuff. Have had a few items stolen now while on public land (treestands, trail cameras) and a couple years ago had a treestand and pack alarm taken from beside my basecamp while I was out elk hunting.

Pretty certain all were taken by other hunters as there was really no reason for non hunters to be were any of it was located.

There is no justifying some low life taking someone else's shit, I don't care where it is.
Hope you find out who it was.

Darksith
01-03-2024, 03:11 PM
I doubt it was a hunter, isn't the season done around Oct 20?

TroyM
01-03-2024, 04:49 PM
I doubt it was a hunter, isn't the season done around Oct 20?
For non native hunters, yes. Keep in mind there is FN hunters that go up there and i believe their season extends into the end of November.

moosinaround
01-03-2024, 05:09 PM
Sucks, leave shit alone if its not yours! Saying this, if you cant afford to lose it, don't leave it, no matter how remote! Sucks, its a hard lesson learned!! moosin

brian
01-03-2024, 10:11 PM
Over 800 people have viewed this thread already. Someone or someones buddy knows something about stealing my stuff and the other persons stuff as well.

I remember way back in jr high school somebody stole the mag wheels off of my bmx outside of school. I later found out half the school knew who did it, but nobody told me who it was. Even some of my friends knew and didn’t say a word. It’s misplaced loyalty to an asshat. I still don’t know who ended up stealing them.

Redthies
01-03-2024, 10:33 PM
Troy, I feel for you, and would be pissed too. That said, the attitude of most idiots is finders keepers if you leave something in the bush. It is totally wrong, but the number of stories on here about people moving in to wall tents left unattended for a couple of days etc makes me never want to leave anything other than my truck (locked up tight!) on crown land.

I hope you get your canoe back.

Treed
01-03-2024, 10:58 PM

You may not be interested in opinions but Dirty is right. You can’t leave anything in your garage let alone in the bush and not expect it to be stolen. Every time I hang a game cam, I expect it to be gone. I leave my truck, I expect it to be vandalized. You leave a canoe in the bush and it gets stolen… there are too many shit rats in the woods these days and not enough retribution. Sorry about the canoe, I know upper Stave is a little remote (I’ve worked up there and there are shit rats that live up there in the bush), but you should have expected the worst. It’s really disappointing, but I don’t thing it’s really ever been any other way. A certain percentage of humans are shit rats, always have been and always will be. Govern yourself accordingly or be disappointed.

I hope you get it back though and I’ll keep my eyes open. Nothing would make me happier than a shit
rat getting it’s due.

Sausage
01-04-2024, 05:54 PM
It is really crappy it went missing and i feel your pain as I have had stuff not there when I went back also . Aside from someone stealing it It could have been anybody and for a number of legitimate reasons why the canoe is no longer there . Worker at the power station who has seen it untouched for over fourteen days , A biologist sick of people leaving stuff up there , even someone from one of the many enforcement agencies . Might be an idea to contact them just in case they have any knowledge of it . Perhaps it wasn't stolen and it was simply removed ? if thats the case then hopefully you can get it back . if someone did play finder keepers especially if it has been left for more than a couple of weeks perhaps putting this up on local FB pages might get results.

In a nutshell you cant just leave stuff on crown land or waterways . Trail cams (investigative activities instrument ) get a year in one spot. camps 14 days things like blinds tree stands etc dont get any real protection if its left on crown land between uses.
Unless your on private property its pretty risky to leave anything .
Vessels (boats ) have even more regulations for them and you could actually be billed for its removal depending on situation.

The only way people are going to be able to legally leave stuff on crown land for extended periods and it not be legally removed is if it gets specific rules protecting it and that probably also means identification on the item and registration of some sort for it or the activity . On top of that even if it is legal S#$% rats are out there so even if it is legal it is still a very big risk . Its not illegal to leave your car doors unlocked (unless you are in Quebec) but I dont think very many people leave them unlocked when they are unattended and parked somewhere .

https://portal.nrs.gov.bc.ca/web/client/-/access-crown-land

7.2 Appropriate UseThe Permission requires the public to abide by the following conditions:
• Activities must abide by and comply with all applicable laws, regulations and by-laws.• Activities are undertaken in a safe and healthy manner;
• No permanent structures or buildings are allowed on the land;
• Campfires are undertaken in a safe manner as per the “Guide to Campfires andOutdoor Stoves”;EFFECTIVE DATE: May 16, 2014 FILE: 11000-00/PERMAMENDMENT:

• Activities must be undertaken in manner which does not negatively impact the environment and wildlife, including the removal of all garbage and materials broughtonto the land as part of those activities; and• The enjoyment of other Crown land users is respected.Certain activities may be subject to additional conditions as per Appendices 2-5.8.

ACTIVITIES AUTHORIZED UNDER THE PERMISSION This Permission does not authorize activities which are prohibited under otherlegislation, such as Wildlife Act or Forest Range and Practices Act, Forest Act, Water Sustainability Act, Heritage Conservation Act, Environmental Management Act,Transportation Act, Park Act, Wildfire Act, Off-Road Vehicle Act and other legislation or regulations as applicable. Only the following activities are authorized, subject to the requirements set out in

Section7:8.1 Transitory Activities on Crown Land
Any person may use Crown land (including aquatic Crown land) for transitory activitiessuch as hiking, rock climbing, boating, water skiing, swimming, snow skiing, noncommercial filming/photography (location scouting is acceptable), bird watching, horseback riding, caving, and snowmobiling, as well as dirt biking, biking, use of all-terrain vehicles, landing of aircraft and other similar activities.This Permission authorizes use of Crown land for hunting, fishing and recreational or amateur fossil collecting, which are regulated separately from the access to Crown land.Information on these activities can be located at the following links:
• Hunting & Trapping Regulations Synopsis;
• BC Recreational Freshwater Fishing Licence; and
• Fossil Collection and Use.

8.2 Camping on Crown Land
Any person may camp on Crown land for up to 14 consecutive calendar days.For the purposes of calculating 14 consecutive days, a period of consecutive days iscumulative unless the person and their vehicle and equipment, as the case may be, arenot present on the site for a period of at least 72 consecutive hours

.8.3 Investigative Activities on Crown LandAny person may use Crown land (including aquatic Crown land) for data collection andinvestigative activities including stream gauges, wildlife and habitat inventories, weatherstations, non-mechanized soil sampling, investigations in/over the water and othersimilar activities. Any instruments required for investigative activities may only be placedon the land for a maximum of one year. Investigations involving mechanized drilling,such as water test wells and geotechnical assessments, require an Authorization.

walks with deer
01-09-2024, 09:13 AM
I would agree the amount of canopies broken cars boats with holes in them littering the mountains somebody probably thought it was litter.