PDA

View Full Version : South OK gun clubs

Fella
12-31-2023, 10:18 AM
I’m moving to Penticton in the coming months and looking for a gun club to join. I see there’s the Summerland rod and gun club and the South Ok club, are they both prettt similar as far as facilities? Is one more welcoming of newcomers than the other? Summerland will be a bit closer but I don’t mind driving a bit to SOSA.

huntingfamily
12-31-2023, 10:43 AM
https://bcwf.bc.ca/our-clubs/

high horse Hal
12-31-2023, 01:09 PM
have shot at Penticton Shooting Sports
location is a bit restrictive but they do a good job

BC4Bowhunter
12-31-2023, 04:37 PM
There is the Keremeos Cawstons Sprortsmen Association in Keremeos they have a nice facility and not much further than SOSA.

Redthies
12-31-2023, 07:09 PM
Congrats on getting off the rock! There is good hunting around your new area.

Fella
12-31-2023, 08:04 PM
Congrats on getting off the rock! There is good hunting around your new area.
Yes I’m very excited about it, going to take some time getting used to the amount of accessible country compared to
the island!

Redthies
01-01-2024, 07:48 AM
Yes I’m very excited about it, going to take some time getting used to the amount of accessible country compared to
the island!

I love the island and have lived there three times (Mill Bay, Saanich and Metchosin), but never made it more than a year each time. My wife has been talking about wanting a place around Fanny Bay, but after our recent five day trip to Victoria over Christmas, she said she was “cured” of her island desires again. :lol:

The climate and ocean access are draws, but the drivers, ferries and lack of back country access are deal breakers.

Feel free to PM me and I’ll give you some ideas on where to start looking around for hunting spots close to P-town.

Fella
01-01-2024, 09:30 AM
Hey that would be great!

mike31154
01-01-2024, 01:11 PM
the island!

Accessible yes, so don't be surprised if you have a good amount of company. Yes there's a huge network of FSRs, none gated that I know of other than ranchers. As long as you respect the cattleguards & close them back up you're golden. The Okanagan Falls FSR is a major artery that will take you from it's namesake town all the way to Hwy33 just south of Big White resort. Not sure if you can hook up to it from Penticton, I always accessed it going up from OK Falls on the road past the landfill.

Fella
01-02-2024, 08:44 AM
Accessible yes, so don't be surprised if you have a good amount of company. Yes there's a huge network of FSRs, none gated that I know of other than ranchers. As long as you respect the cattleguards & close them back up you're golden. The Okanagan Falls FSR is a major artery that will take you from its namesake town all the way to Hwy33 just south of Big White resort. Not sure if you can hook up to it from Penticton, I always accessed it going up from OK Falls on the road past the landfill.

Thanks for the info! I’m not worried about crowds, the gates on the island always concentrated hunters in one area so I am good at finding quiet pockets of woods!

mike31154
01-02-2024, 12:59 PM
Bighorn sheep country down there too. And if you keep your eyes peeled when driving between Peachland & Summerland you may catch a glimpse of a Mountain Goat or 2. Maybe they're the ones causing all the slides haha.

Redthies
01-03-2024, 10:38 PM
Accessible yes, so don't be surprised if you have a good amount of company. Yes there's a huge network of FSRs, none gated that I know of other than ranchers. As long as you respect the cattleguards & close them back up you're golden. The Okanagan Falls FSR is a major artery that will take you from it's namesake town all the way to Hwy33 just south of Big White resort. Not sure if you can hook up to it from Penticton, I always accessed it going up from OK Falls on the road past the landfill.

The 201 runs from Penticton (up the top of Carmi Ave) to McCulloch Lake area. Your access from Ok Falls (Shuttleworth Creek Rd) becomes the 201 when it meets the road coming up from Penticton. It’s the route they use when the goats push the Mtn down on 97.