PDA

View Full Version : Alpine hunting in snow

dino
12-14-2007, 10:42 PM
A couple of other hunters I know go hunting in the alpine when theres 1.5 to 2 feet of snow on ground up there, they say thats how they shoot the larger bucks.Is there any truth to this because I would like to try it.Just like to hear your thoughts.

Ride
12-14-2007, 10:44 PM
I have seen large mule deer bucks winter up high in snow deeper than their chests for a whole winter. They seem to not be bothered by it sometimes.

hunter11
12-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Thawed mule deer. :biggrin:

BlacktailStalker
12-14-2007, 11:47 PM
General rule of thumb, the big boys are often in ankle-thigh deep snow when not with the does.
Follow the snow line like fish come in on a tide.

Wildfoot
12-15-2007, 01:25 AM
just watch for avalanche danger above treeline.

boxhitch
12-15-2007, 06:23 AM
I have seen large mule deer bucks winter up high in snow deeper than their chests for a whole winter. I've seen them high through the rut and shortly after, but when the going gets tough, they move down.
If they are up high, they must hole up under a single tree, as the sign/tracks sure disappear, down to the 1000 m level. YMMV

Orangethunder
12-16-2007, 09:36 AM
I think that it all depends on the area. I have heard of bucks staying up high until the snow is chest deep. I have also seen bucks that pack up and move down into the timber as soon as the first hard frost kills the succulent feed. Another situation is that the big guys come down for the rut and head right back up again.

It might take you a year or two to pattern them and find out when and where to hunt them but patience should pay off. At the very worst you should be in some awesome scenery. Good luck.