PDA

View Full Version : Pop-up Blinds

Stone Sheep Steve
12-14-2007, 12:31 PM
Thinking a pop-up blind might be handy to have. Would be good to stick the figety youngsters in and maybe use for archery as well.

Anyone use one?? Size?? Uses??

SSS

BCrams
12-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Build a strategic 'treehouse stand'. Kids love treehouses - just ask them if they want to go play in the treehouse when you want to go hunting. :)

daycort
12-14-2007, 01:59 PM
I bought a pop-up blind made by eastmans. it is a little larger than most I seen at the local stores. My kids look to be close to the same age as yours SSS. It is hard to keep them quiet. They're doing better all the time though. Lots of spring and summer deer scouting and a little walking/looking and they are starting to get the point that if they are being loud the critters run away. But they love the blind they think they are camping in a tent.

thatskindafunny
12-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Bought a pop up blind from Can Tire 3 years ago. Take it with me on my elk trips. Have a permenate blind for elk but it takes time to take down and put up if you want to sit in a different spot. Pop up blind is up in 3 to 4 minutes. Propane heater, swivel chair, thermose of coffee, suduko or crossword book and your set. Use it on the farm for blacktails also. Only 1 rule .... don't loose the instructions on how to take down until you master it. Heavy snow last year and it collapsed, broke one of the fiberglass rods but repaired and good as new. Totaly recomend them. Oh and don't forget to bring a bag of peanuts.

GoatGuy
12-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Build your own SSS.

Ours is 7X6X7 sits 3 easily, little propane heaters, couple chairs, deck of cards and you're hunting in white-tail heaven.

George Ackley
12-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Last couple years i been spending my days after deer snug in a blind with a heater,
I really can't see why i waited so long to use one. It's a great thing to hunt from dark to dark and without getting cold.
I got my blind from e-bay for 25 bucks new, roped and staked down it a sturdy little hide. i think it's made by Amerblind. also fir me and 2 youngsters.

Good luck

George

dawn2dusk
12-14-2007, 04:50 PM
THere good, i think it is important to stake them down so they dont flap in the wind. Nylon rubbing together must sound like humans to deer.

I was wondering about a propane heater......does that not give a funny scent out thay may spook game?

I like blind for the fact you dont have to keep as still

daycort
12-14-2007, 04:54 PM
I know some boys up north here that actually put a trailer and steel pilings 20 feet in the air. and everything works in the trailer. You know when you have to much money when...

George Ackley
12-14-2007, 05:05 PM
""does that not give a funny scent out they may spook game?""

Here in PA i haven't had any trouble with sent busting deer , the kid took some really close to the set up this year under 40 yard and the deer didn't have a clue we were there. I try and set up with the wind in are face though as much as i can , and to be 100% honest I cant really say if we busted deer that I didn't see , but we seen 14 deer the first day all within 75 yards.
I think the trick is to pre setup your blind,, I do think the deer know something is out of place if you hunting open county so I try to get my blind up `1 week before the opener.
I hunt a small hill ( on a power line) looking into hard woods and i have had them look right at us. but to late to help themhttp://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fa3/08 Also i find it good to wear a black shirt and mask in the blind .. i also hang hunters orange on the out side of it. lot of hunters here, better safe then sorry

GoatGuy
12-14-2007, 05:28 PM
THere good, i think it is important to stake them down so they dont flap in the wind. Nylon rubbing together must sound like humans to deer.

I was wondering about a propane heater......does that not give a funny scent out thay may spook game?

I like blind for the fact you dont have to keep as still

If the deer can smell the propane they can smell you and if that's the case it's too late.:smile:

knighthunter
12-14-2007, 05:31 PM
I've been deer hunting out of a blind for about 10 years now. I too use a propane heater. I've had deer about 30 yards from me and they weren't spooked at all. But if I don't have my heater burning as low as possible, they'll hear it and be gone. I cover the windows with burlap to mask any movements i make. I can still see thru it, but I lift it up to shoot.

Wild Will
12-14-2007, 05:41 PM
I have a hunting partner who tried one for whitetails using a crossbow. His was from Can. Tire. The deer had to be in exactly the right place for him to have a shot. He saw deer from the blind, but never had a chance for a shot. I read all these posts, but no one seems to have success from one. I have a tough time believing you can sit with buddies in a blind with a propane heater hissing away, playing cards and expect to get a shot at a game animal, especially with a bow.

GoatGuy
12-14-2007, 06:12 PM
I have a hunting partner who tried one for whitetails using a crossbow. His was from Can. Tire. The deer had to be in exactly the right place for him to have a shot. He saw deer from the blind, but never had a chance for a shot. I read all these posts, but no one seems to have success from one. I have a tough time believing you can sit with buddies in a blind with a propane heater hissing away, playing cards and expect to get a shot at a game animal, especially with a bow.

Well the boys passed up 4 decent bucks (4pts and 5pts) in the last week, harvested one and missed a whopper. Hunting wasn't as good as normal cause there was no snow to push the deer right in.

In years passed we've passed up several bucks, shot plenty, had them come in grunting, rubbing, fighting and on and on. We called them into 10 yards before there was a blind setup just sitting under trees.

We play crib, poker, blackjack, sometimes do a bit of reading and generally relaxing mixed in with some calling.

It's all about where you set it up. If it's in an open spot with lots of vis the deer won't stand still and the big bucks will not come in at all. Stick to the timber and they'll mill about all day.

The Hermit
12-14-2007, 06:33 PM
I have a doghouse blind willing to sell for $80. Used once.

boxhitch
12-14-2007, 06:56 PM
I have a tough time believing you can sit with buddies in a blind with a propane heater hissing away, playing cards and expect to get a shot at a game animal, especially with a bow.So is it called 'blind hunting' or 'hunting blind' ? Maybe a good spot to set one up, would be a lake shore, and a guy could drown a hook trying for lunch, while killing time. Multi-tasking at its best.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Build your own SSS.

Ours is 7X6X7 sits 3 easily, little propane heaters, couple chairs, deck of cards and you're hunting in white-tail heaven.

I don't know how you can stand 3 guys crammed in there. I know no one that could last 10 mins with me in a tight space like that. Just ask Calvin:mrgreen:. Well, maybe Brambles with his fire fighting respirator on:roll:.

Price'o'plywood these days I could buy three pop up blinds:roll:.

SSS

sealevel
12-15-2007, 02:13 PM
They really work good on turkeys. Hunting turks with a bow there a must.

Alpine85
12-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Brent, I could get you as much 1x4 as you want, about 6 foot pieces. Its crating that comes on all the tubs/showers we buy. Every job it goes straight to the garbage, I plan on building one with it in the spring. Let me know if you want a truck load of it,free delivery for yah..

dawn2dusk
12-15-2007, 07:09 PM
I think when it comes down to it I prefer a natural ground blind. Find a stump facing a strategic point and move a few large old logs or whatever to break up your pattern and also use as gun rest. I like to find a hallow in a dark shaded spot out of the mainline of sight if possible.

But re point made earlier about wearing black in a blind is a very good point as the interior in most is black so no shadows.

GoatGuy
12-15-2007, 07:18 PM
I don't know how you can stand 3 guys crammed in there. I know no one that could last 10 mins with me in a tight space like that. Just ask Calvin:mrgreen:. Well, maybe Brambles with his fire fighting respirator on:roll:.

Price'o'plywood these days I could buy three pop up blinds:roll:.

SSS

With the propane heater you'd also be a fire hazard.

Duct tape around the ankles, cuffs and neck for you.

boxhitch
12-16-2007, 01:11 AM
Duct tape around the ankles, cuffs and neck for you.Sure, then he would look like the Michelin Man in no time. Wouldn't want to be near any flame when that balloon popped ! Notice the 'Luv Shack on Wheels' has bulged walls, and the door has a bungy for venting purposes ?

Stone Sheep Steve
12-16-2007, 06:13 AM
I should just put the Love Shack on a scissor-lift and be done with it.

Seriously, I just watched one of Calvin's videos and that's what Shockey does:???:.

SSS

Brambles
12-16-2007, 07:44 AM
I gotta build some blinds, I'll engineer it with an exhaust tube just incase SSS drops by. SSS you'll have to cut a hole in the seat of your pants for the exhaust tube to insert. And in the mean time practice on making it sound like deer grunts, one with bad breath of course:biggrin: