PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Season Harvest Rates among HBC members

Redthies
11-30-2023, 10:34 AM
I know there were a lot of people not seeing animals last year, and I’m the only one I know personally who got anything last year. Most of my hunting friends are far more experienced than I am, so that was a bit shocking.

How did your season go this year? Did you see more animals than last year, and did you cut any tags?

(Add photos if you’ve got any).

M1SF1T
11-30-2023, 10:54 AM
No animals seen for me. Mid Vancouver Island. I don't have a spot, but I spent time in a few areas, all back pack hunting.

I found one dead animal that I assumed was a black tail pulled apart by predators.

Saw some deer tracks, plus bear track, wolf track, cat tracks... I ran into some loggers as I was walking out one day that told me they saw a buck back 100 or so yards... I went looking but couldn't find anything.

My neighbour brought home two bucks this season off a private farm, shotgun only area in I think Merville.

I was out yesterday, but it was foggy where I was and I wasn't seeing much. Maybe with some fresh snow today at higher elevations today I'll head up to one of my areas and try my luck tomorrow. Not much time left to cut my first tag. ..

wifigary
11-30-2023, 11:01 AM
Saw lots up here in region 8, filled all my tags and helped 3 other people fill some more. Combination of WT and Muleys, didn't see any bears but was not looking for them either.

Darksith
11-30-2023, 11:06 AM
I know there were a lot of people not seeing animals last year, and I’m the only one I know personally who got anything last year. Most of my hunting friends are far more experienced than I am, so that was a bit shocking.

How did your season go this year? Did you see more animals than last year, and did you cut any tags?

(Add photos if you’ve got any).

In the words of Eazy-E "It ain't over motherf*&^er" haha

Didn't get anything last year? I don't see much difference out there from last to this year other than social media sites sure are putting up some big mule deer and it seems like way more than ever before. I really think some of these region specific fb pages are horrible and will only drive the LM guys to these area's which can't be good for the environment or the populations. We need hunters to spread out not concentrate in certain areas or regions.

This year me and my direct group have taken a bou, a whitetail, 2 black bears and 2 moose. We are still searching for the right MD buck

Livewire322
11-30-2023, 11:32 AM
For big game, I’ve taken a bear and a deer this year. I’ve taken a few ducks and grouse to top it all off.

Actual game sighting numbers are down for me this year, but I attribute that to weather more than anything else (too damn sunny).

https://i.postimg.cc/cLRgVQxH/2-F98516-B-8-B68-486-C-91-E8-B54-CDEEAF0-DD.jpg (https://postimg.cc/75LZzJT8)
https://i.postimg.cc/3w9ywYDQ/F914-C7-A1-DFC7-480-B-BF97-E7-B18-D0-C6-CA1.jpg (https://postimg.cc/HJcWZG26)

Everett
11-30-2023, 12:35 PM
I saw lots of critters this year and tagged a Elk, Mule deer and a WT but didn't get my moose.

dakoda62
11-30-2023, 01:12 PM
Saw quite a few doe's both Whitey and Muley only a few bucks, cut a tag on a moose though region 4

savage10
11-30-2023, 01:37 PM
Saw more animals this year than my first couple years. Cut 1 muley tag.

Spy
11-30-2023, 01:57 PM
I’ve seen a lot of backtails on FB looks like it was a good year on the island.

carnivore
11-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Saw more deer then usual this year including 3 Mule Deer bucks, one of which is now in my freezer:lol:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_2146.jpg

Rayne
11-30-2023, 02:35 PM
Hunted a fair bit this season. Didn’t see much for deer. Got a bear and shot a nice blacktail on Saturday.

Ron.C
11-30-2023, 02:55 PM
Duplicate post

Ron.C
11-30-2023, 02:58 PM
I got a VI spring bear (about the easiest tag to fiil). Did a week of elk in the EK end Sept. Was only into a handful of elk (one 5x5)and unable to connect with anything legal. I did count 121 whitetail does, 2 whitetail bucks in 6 days. Shot the 2nd buck on the last afternoon of my hunt.

During my elk hunt, saw a pile of goats (2 nice billy's). I've hunted them before in this particular zone and ran into a guy with an LEH tag and told him the best way to get up to them. Hope he scored.

Arctic Lake
11-30-2023, 03:05 PM
Nice thing of you to do Ron !
Arctic Lake
I got a VI spring bear (about the easiest tag to fiil). Did a week of elk in the EK end Sept. Was only into a handful of elk (one 5x5)and unable to connect with anything legal. I did count 121 whitetail does, 2 whitetail bucks in 6 days. Shot the 2nd buck on the last afternoon of my hunt.

During my elk hunt, saw a pile of goats (2 nice billy's). I've hunted them before in this particular zone and ran into a guy with an LEH tag and told him the best way to get up to them. Hope he scored.

dapesche
11-30-2023, 03:06 PM
Couple awesome animals for us this season. Only problem was that our season pretty much wrapped up on Sept 10th.

a nice 7x7 shot at approx 10yds.

https://i.imgur.com/nD0K5Cj.jpg

epic stone sheep hunt ended with this 9 yr old broomed ram down on day 5. Shot at just under 600 yds.

https://i.imgur.com/bc2Seqm.jpg

Arctic Lake
11-30-2023, 03:09 PM
Got an LEH Bull Moose this year and real happy about that good fortune ! Saw others taken in various locations and then spent a day driving around the region and saw more game than I ever have . It was really to see those animals !
Arctic Lake

HarryToolips
11-30-2023, 04:21 PM
Shot a 4 point muley and a wolf for big game, and shot some grouse, and got my son onto hunting, he shot his first grouse this year now that he's old enough to hunt.. called in elk but nothing legal... have probably seen less deer this year but in my elk area the wolves have moved in, where I reside I know the deer are doing fine... still going to apply some time towards whitetails and helping buddies fill tags..

dru88
11-30-2023, 05:59 PM
My hunting partner shot a 3 pt mulie buck this October, saw a decent amount of does as well. My blacktail hunting hasn't been going very well this season, I have been out for 2 weekends and not seen a single blacktail where I normaly see at least some does or bucks moving around. I did see the back end of a black bear a couple of weeks ago never to be seen again.

j270wsm
11-30-2023, 08:46 PM
Got back into bear hunting this yr and shot a bear in may and stumbled upon a decent 5x4 whitetail at the end of October. Spent 8 days learning a few new elk hunting areas during the beginning of Sept but couldn’t get in bow range then couldn’t find a 6pt.

Redthies
11-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Good to see so much success! We have 3 more weeks of archery for WT here, and I picked up a big mineral lick at the outfitters down in Spokane today. My neighbor has 37 acres backed on to crown, so we will set up a blind near that and see if we can fill another tag or three;)

warnniklz
11-30-2023, 09:24 PM
Bear, wolf and antlerless mulie so far

HarryToolips
11-30-2023, 09:46 PM
Couple awesome animals for us this season. Only problem was that our season pretty much wrapped up on Sept 10th.a nice 7x7 shot at approx 10yds.https://i.imgur.com/nD0K5Cj.jpgepic stone sheep hunt ended with this 9 yr old broomed ram down on day 5. Shot at just under 600 yds.https://i.imgur.com/bc2Seqm.jpgWow congrats on successful season, that Bull elk is a tank!

dapesche
11-30-2023, 11:18 PM
thanks HT. Will be a very tough bull to top....but we'll try.

Bigdoggdon
12-01-2023, 12:20 AM
Tag soup on big game for me. Small game 40ish grouse and about 20 Snowshoes. Next up, fill the freezer with rainbows and brookies if the lakes ever freeze.

HarryToolips
12-01-2023, 08:06 AM
thanks HT. Will be a very tough bull to top....but we'll try.
You're welcome...if ya ever need a partner who can call in elk pretty good and can pack meat out long hauls, let me know...my spot is now infested with wolves unfortunately, has changed the elk dynamics...and I'm sure I could learn a lot from a guy like you...

KodiakHntr
12-01-2023, 08:15 AM
Myself and my 3 hunting buddies did about the same as normal, a wild hog/2 bull elk/2 bull moose/some bears, couple whitetails and a muley, and a stone ram.

ian745
12-01-2023, 09:01 AM
sweet f*ck all so far this year, gonna go out for a few more days and see whats moving on the island

whitespringer
12-01-2023, 09:44 AM
Shot a 4 point muley and a wolf for big game, and shot some grouse, and got my son onto hunting, he shot his first grouse this year now that he's old enough to hunt.. called in elk but nothing legal... have probably seen less deer this year but in my elk area the wolves have moved in, where I reside I know the deer are doing fine... still going to apply some time towards whitetails and helping buddies fill tags..
That’s the best result a guy could have Harry. Your kids as hunting partners…PRICELESS

cuervosail
12-01-2023, 09:49 AM
New to mid-Island. Still getting a lay of the land and finding where I can walk into and get away from road hunters. Starting to get some areas figured out. I've only seen a single doe and a few deer on a trail cam. Still some days left to get it done. Saw plenty of sheep, moose, caribou and grizzly bears on a mountain hunt in September but came back with an empty cooler.

Mark-R
12-02-2023, 01:22 PM
Got a spring bear but got skunked again this fall on muleys. I've moved to the 5-2 region a couple of years ago and been busy working on the homestead so hunting hasn't been as much of a priority.

boilerroom
12-02-2023, 05:56 PM
First year in a new region. Learned a ton with summer scouting. Ended up with a whitetail doe, about 15 grouse, 15 hares.

mikeman20
12-02-2023, 10:10 PM
I didn't have a long season this year, but I helped a buddy get his first deer so that was great.
I passed on two small mulie bucks, and almost had a big 4 point two separate times, but he was too sick getting away.

HarryToolips
12-02-2023, 10:58 PM
That’s the best result a guy could have Harry. Your kids as hunting partners…PRICELESSThanks buddy, you are indeed right.....cheers...