PDA

View Full Version : Best < $500 Rifle Scope

blackford
11-29-2023, 04:41 PM
I have a Leupold Vx2 Scope on a gun that I hunted with and now looking to upgrade my scope on my 30-06. Not looking to spend a ton but looking for something with a great warranty protection AND a all around good scope.

Welcoming suggestions!

Fella
11-29-2023, 04:49 PM
Why not stay with the vx2? For sub-$500 you’re probably looking at a vortex and I’d avoid that to be honest.

sako79
11-29-2023, 04:49 PM
Imo for a 5 hundred dollar budget Do not gonna get anything much better than your current scope

SSG-man
11-29-2023, 05:09 PM
Keep the Leo

blackford
11-29-2023, 06:30 PM
To clarify the leu is staying in the other gun. I need a new scope on the 30-06. Ok.

LETS INCREASE THE BUDGET TO 800

RackStar
11-29-2023, 07:05 PM
Keep your scope in you’d be wasting 500. Better off going to the 800-1100 dollar range. Consider a vx3HD or a swaro z3

chris
11-29-2023, 07:38 PM
I have a burris fullfield e1 which I believe was around $500. For the price range it's a pretty nice scope and I would recommend it.

RackStar
11-29-2023, 07:41 PM
Sorry didn’t read your last post.

go vx3HD, all day.

high horse Hal
11-29-2023, 08:07 PM
what features are you after
or is the warranty the only sticker?

Beaufortranger
11-29-2023, 08:14 PM
I have a 3x9x50 mm Matte Var-X Freedom for sale only been mounted on gun for 12 days and taken back off. Paid 638 asking 560 its in the exchange forum. Good upgrade for a few bucks more and the same warranty you’re used to.

blackford
11-29-2023, 08:59 PM
I read some mixed reviews on the freedom

in regards to features. Just a good clear scope with good magnification, great warranty and just a overall good scope

FishandSticks
11-30-2023, 08:22 AM
I have the "3" Riton Primal 1 scopes I'm real happy with sub $500. You could step up to the X3 $950 at CT are cheaper elsewhere on line

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/riton-primal-hunting-rifle-scope-waterproof-and-shockproof-4-12x50mm-black-3751339p.3751339.html?rrecName=Similar%20Items%20&rrecReferrer=product&rrecProductId=3751339P&rrecProductSlot=4&rrecSchemeId=product1_rr&rrec=true

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/riton-x3-conquer-6-24x50-rifle-scope-black-3750610p.3750610.html?rrecName=Similar%20Items%20&rrecReferrer=product&rrecProductId=3750610P&rrecProductSlot=2&rrecSchemeId=product1_rr&rrec=true

kevingm1987
11-30-2023, 08:35 AM
I read some mixed reviews on the freedom

in regards to features. Just a good clear scope with good magnification, great warranty and just a overall good scope

Love the "great warranty" requirement. Great warranty just means poor product.

blackford
11-30-2023, 08:44 AM
Not always. Leupolds have a great warranty and so do other higher end brands

Even when it’s translated to other outdoor items. I have ran over sage fishing rods by mistake and got a new one… imo it’s a good feature

kevingm1987
11-30-2023, 08:56 AM
Not always. Leupolds have a great warranty and so do other higher end brands

Even when it’s translated to other outdoor items. I have ran over sage fishing rods by mistake and got a new one… imo it’s a good feature

Leupold and the other high end brands will warranty any workmanship issues for the life of the scope. None of them have the "Vortex" warranty that vortex users love. Vortex warranty only guarantees your getting a sub par product. Replacements are built into their price scheme.

lovemywinchester
11-30-2023, 09:20 AM
I have been happy with my Vortex Diamondback. It's on my 7mm 08 bush gun and its been great. Lots of abuse and rough hiking, some quading, snowmobiling with it and it's always bang on when I puta few down the pipe to check it. I had it replaced once with no questions. The warranty centre said I overtightened the rings and damaged the scope. That was 7? years ago and its been great ever since. $400 or so with tax iirc.

sako79
11-30-2023, 10:12 AM
Get an vx-3hd You just missed the price of $651.99 on them

high horse Hal
11-30-2023, 10:20 AM
Bushnell and Athlon have a lifetime transferable warranty
Have never used the service from either

Downwindtracker2
11-30-2023, 12:44 PM
When someone talks about how great the warranty is, understand that is not a good point. That is a warning. If he needed the warranty, the scope screwed up. It's only annoying at the range, on a hunt, the guy will swear off that brand, Forever. Never put a new scope on a new rifle , you won't know which one is at fault for those lousy groups. I've done that mistake, cost me a minor fortune in reloading components until I switched scopes . That Leupold , after repairs, came back OK. I try to have a spare working scope.

I'm fond of Bushnell, their 4000 series were tanks, and weighted like tanks,too. However, I picked up 1.5x6 used that came off a 375 H&H that I had to send in. But that is almost understandable.

Downwindtracker2
11-30-2023, 12:59 PM
I use Leupolds and Bushnells. I have a couple of Japanese Weavers on .22s as well. Bushnells in Canada are a good deal, about the same price as the States. Leupolds are Not. There was a large difference in price making smuggling them out of the States tempting. Of course you should not do that. Beside you may have questions with warranty.

I've used warranty on both Bushnell and Leupold. Leupold was three weeks where as Bushnell was three months.

Livewire322
11-30-2023, 01:42 PM
When someone talks about how great the warranty is, understand that is not a good point. That is a warning. If he needed the warranty, the scope screwed up. It's only annoying at the range, on a hunt, the guy will swear off that brand, Forever. Never put a new scope on a new rifle , you won't know which one is at fault for those lousy groups. I've done that mistake, cost me a minor fortune in reloading components until I switched scopes . That Leupold , after repairs, came back OK. I try to have a spare working scope.

I'm fond of Bushnell, their 4000 series were tanks, and weighted like tanks,too. However, I picked up 1.5x6 used that came off a 375 H&H that I had to send in. But that is almost understandable.

Not always. For example, I went ass over tea kettle down a slope last year and dinged the turret on my Razor LHT.
The scope bounced off rocks for a good tumble and is completely fine, save for the external marks - the turrets track fine and the glass shows no signs of issues. However, I have no doubt in my mind that I could send it to Vortex, and they’d send me a new scope, if something did go wrong.

Shit happens - Binoculars take tumbles and rifles fall. I’d rather have a brand that stands by their product, regardless of cause, than one that tells me to pound sand.

lovemywinchester
11-30-2023, 02:00 PM
When someone talks about how great the warranty is, understand that is not a good point. That is a warning. If he needed the warranty, the scope screwed up.

I respectfully disagree. A good warranty shows a company stands behind it's products and should be a factor when purchasing expensive items. If I am stuck deciding between which of two basically identical items to purchase, the best warranty would sway me into that companys product.

kevingm1987
11-30-2023, 02:06 PM
Not always. For example, I went ass over tea kettle down a slope last year and dinged the turret on my Razor LHT.
The scope bounced off rocks for a good tumble and is completely fine, save for the external marks - the turrets track fine and the glass shows no signs of issues. However, I have no doubt in my mind that I could send it to Vortex, and they’d send me a new scope, if something did go wrong.

Shit happens - Binoculars take tumbles and rifles fall. I’d rather have a brand that stands by their product, regardless of cause, than one that tells me to pound sand.

All big brands stand behind their products. If their products fail because of their workmanship, they will fix it.

If you drop your binos down a side a mountain, well thats on you. Shit does happen. But, $ for $, your "shit happens" warranty proof glass will be less superior to something in the same price class without a no fault warranty.

kevingm1987
11-30-2023, 02:08 PM
I respectfully disagree. A good warranty shows a company stands behind it's products and should be a factor when purchasing expensive items. If I am stuck deciding between which of two basically identical items to purchase, the best warranty would sway me into that companys product.

As Tommy boy once said:

Tommy:
Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a guarantee on a box? Hmm, very interesting.
Ted:
I'm listening.
Tommy:
Here's how I see it. A guy puts a guarantee on the box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
Ted:
Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy:
'Course it does. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter.
Ted:
What's your point?
Tommy:
The point is, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.
Ted:
But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?
Tommy:
Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me

Downwindtracker2
11-30-2023, 06:22 PM
I had a Bushnell Scopechief 3x9 on my canoe rifle. As luck have it, or more likely my canoeing skills, we dumped and the rifle bounced along the bottom on it's lanyard. The rifle a P-17 BSA sporter did fine, it's a trooper, but the scope crosshairs were laying in the bottom of the tube. I had another scope. Rifles are pretty reliable, but you can't say the same about scopes. Next time I'll remember targets. Bushnell sent me another scope , a 4x . Of roughly the same vintage, and a better scope.

When Leupold went from VariX II to VX2 we thought great, the 2x7 was about the same as the VX-3 2.5x8 at a good deal less. Click stops, just less coating. We had an "in", so we went together an bought some at very good price. I got only one, but my buddy got three. He shoots more than me, he found that after two boxes of bullets (a 100 shots) they would go for a chit. He sent them off then sold them. I would assume Leupold corrected the problem.

Cheap scopes like the VX2 are designed for the weekend warrior, a box of shells every couple of years.

Scope coating are light years ahead , now. And the CNC ground glass is better ,too. The 30mm tubes allow more room for the mechanism.

jlirot
11-30-2023, 06:27 PM
I've got a Nikon I really like. And I put a Leupold on my BLR and it's a nice scope so far too. I got a Vortex mounted but haven't shot with it yet.

Joel

TeeVee
12-03-2023, 09:50 AM
I have a burris fullfield e1 which I believe was around $500. For the price range it's a pretty nice scope and I would recommend it.

I might have to try one of these out. Looks like Stoeger has them on sale for $230 right now!

Jamesonm
12-05-2023, 09:44 AM
My Maven C-1 binos have been very good for their price point -- I would highly recommend their glass. However I don't have any experience withtheir scopes.

Greenthumbed
12-14-2023, 08:33 PM
I have a Bushnell 4500 2.5-10x40mm. It’s an excellent scope. I think I bought mine for under $400

Downwindtracker2
12-15-2023, 10:22 AM
The Bushnell 4000 series is the old Bauch & Lamb Balvar. They are built like tanks and weigh like tanks, too. I have some. Nippon light and Optic made good scopes.

Gianni2507
12-19-2023, 07:01 PM
As Tommy boy once said:

Tommy:
Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why do they put a guarantee on a box? Hmm, very interesting.
Ted:
I'm listening.
Tommy:
Here's how I see it. A guy puts a guarantee on the box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
Ted:
Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy:
'Course it does. Ya think if you leave that box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter.
Ted:
What's your point?
Tommy:
The point is, how do you know the Guarantee Fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, but we're not buying it. Next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times.
Ted:
But why do they put a guarantee on the box then?
Tommy:
Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is. Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for right now, for your sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality item from me

I read it 5 times and still don't understand. I think you were the one sniffing glue when you typed that answer? Maybe should hold off for a little while until you can think straight again :D

kevingm1987
12-20-2023, 08:29 AM
I read it 5 times and still don't understand. I think you were the one sniffing glue when you typed that answer? Maybe should hold off for a little while until you can think straight again :D

1) Have you ever seen Tommy boy? If not, its a must watch and may help with the quote

2) All the vortex guarantee is them selling you a "guaranteed piece of shit" per the quote.

Everyone feels warm and fuzzy about their guarantee but the only way they can factor these costs into their product is with supplying you a sub-par product. A business needs to make money to survive. Vortex isn't losing money even though over 40% of their glass gets returned at some point. This should tell you something about their quality...

high horse Hal
12-20-2023, 10:51 AM
40 % ? Really....

REMINGTON JIM
12-20-2023, 11:25 AM
Buddy had 2 VORTEX Golden Eagles in a row that would not track ! $2800 POS !:mad: he went to a NIGHTFORCE Comp and Loves it ! I Know "Any and All manufactures can have problems " !:razz: RJ

kevingm1987
12-20-2023, 01:44 PM
40 % ? Really....

This is what I had read. Will see if I can find the article again.

Remember, they have the no fault warranty, not just the workmanship. One would have to assume some percentage of replacements are due to user error. Dropping and breaking, burning up in a fire, ran over by a vehicle, damaged on purpose by the user to get a new updated model.

The rate of return at Vortex is very high.

All manufactures will have their lemons at times but most only cover their workmanship. They would go broke with a no fault style warranty.

kevingm1987
12-20-2023, 01:45 PM
Buddy had 2 VORTEX Golden Eagles in a row that would not track ! $2800 POS !:mad: he went to a NIGHTFORCE Comp and Loves it ! I Know "Any and All manufactures can have problems " !:razz: RJ

Heard another common issue is the cross hairs falling apart in the scope. Focus stops working on spotting scopes. The list goes on.

Gianni2507
12-20-2023, 09:32 PM
1) Have you ever seen Tommy boy? If not, its a must watch and may help with the quote

2) All the vortex guarantee is them selling you a "guaranteed piece of shit" per the quote.

Everyone feels warm and fuzzy about their guarantee but the only way they can factor these costs into their product is with supplying you a sub-par product. A business needs to make money to survive. Vortex isn't losing money even though over 40% of their glass gets returned at some point. This should tell you something about their quality...

lol I might have to look into that then! It's too bad, I was going to get some Binos from Vortex, but I might have to do some more research then..

high horse Hal
12-21-2023, 09:34 AM
..........The rate of return at Vortex is very high.

All manufactures will have their lemons at times but most only cover their workmanship. They would go broke with a no fault style warranty.Vortex seems to have no trouble tossing its money around, they sponsor lots
To the point a consumer wonders what his purchase funds really go to.

RackStar
12-21-2023, 12:01 PM
This is what I had read. Will see if I can find the article again.

Remember, they have the no fault warranty, not just the workmanship. One would have to assume some percentage of replacements are due to user error. Dropping and breaking, burning up in a fire, ran over by a vehicle, damaged on purpose by the user to get a new updated model.

The rate of return at Vortex is very high.

All manufactures will have their lemons at times but most only cover their workmanship. They would go broke with a no fault style warranty.

so wait… all i need to do to upgrade my old razor spotter is huck it off a cliff?

kevingm1987
12-21-2023, 12:05 PM
Vortex seems to have no trouble tossing its money around, they sponsor lots
To the point a consumer wonders what his purchase funds really go to.

they’re a marketing machine, that’s about all they do good

kevingm1987
12-21-2023, 12:06 PM
so wait… all i need to do to upgrade my old razor spotter is huck it off a cliff?

Yup, or run it over with the truck! Maybe accidentally shoot it with a .22. The options are really endless!

Redthies
12-23-2023, 09:07 PM
I've got a Nikon I really like. And I put a Leupold on my BLR and it's a nice scope so far too. I got a Vortex mounted but haven't shot with it yet.

Joel

All my rifles but 1 wear Nikons. Thayer are amazing. Yes, you’re looking at used now, but see what’s out there on CGN or Gunpost in your budget…

ratherbefishin
04-19-2024, 05:39 PM
I suggest a lot depends on the type of shooting/ hunting and ranges you are dealing with..almost all my hunting shots are within 100 yards and my leupold fixed 4 X does me just fine, mainly because I need a scope for my aging eyes .If I was routinely hunting open country or target shooting and shooting 250 yards, which is the farthest I can shoot accurately anyway I would get a scope that could handle that..my 22 ‘grouse gun’has a bushnell 4x that has put all the grouse I need in the pot .