PDA

View Full Version : Attention Road Hunters

Brett202
11-25-2023, 05:28 PM
The first time I posted about this I was trying to be polite. Now I’m pissed off.

Some of us live and work on forest service roads. If you drive on them at 10kph and refuse to let guys past, you are a selfish asshole and should be embarrassed to call yourself a woodsman.

Maybe I’ll come to Kamloops and crawl down the road looking at Christmas lights and not let you guys past. Is that any different?

Please pull over fellas, I promise I won’t shoot your grouse or your deer.

snowhater
11-25-2023, 06:21 PM
Same thing in 4-23 I have an active bull and the next day when I travel down a specific road I know where I am going. Get behind an ahole that in the dark will not let me by, road hunting in the dark!! Anyway, same guy stops for a piss hears me calling and interferes with me so close to calling in and harvesting a bull, he messes my hunt by constant cow calling, bull is comming but he is cow calling between us and screws the whole thing... Guess who. When confronted he says "well, you drove past us in the dark?? I did get that bull a month later.

Brett202
11-25-2023, 06:45 PM
Sucks to hear that. I try to give a wave and wish them good luck but man some guys make it hard.

Brett202
11-25-2023, 06:46 PM
Awesome you got the bull though!

jac
11-25-2023, 07:13 PM
I agree people driving like that are clowns

Wentrot
11-25-2023, 07:38 PM
Roll along behind them with your horn malfunctioning and I’m sure they would move over.

RackStar
11-25-2023, 07:39 PM
Nothing drives me more nuts then that, actually had a guy do that to us around Logan lake , we blew by him and he aggressively followed us, threatening to smash out our headlights for ruining his chance at a deer. All the aggression and threats with a 6 year old in the car. And we wonder why the cycle of shitty humans revolves.

CAC
11-25-2023, 10:13 PM
Quite sad the state of our society. I've run into this issue as well and many other instances of just pure lack of courtesy and thoughtfulness of others while out in the great outdoors regardless of hunting or other activity. The trend seems to be increasing as well. I try to get as far away from roads and other hunters as possible, but with seemingly every square inch or the province covered in roads it is difficult. They need to start ripping out resource roads that aren't actively being used.

Brett202
11-26-2023, 12:11 AM
Amen to that CAC! From what I see over prescribed road access has got to be the biggest issue facing ungulates. This year I saw a gross over harvest of moose by hunters who don’t need to worry about antler or sex restrictions. These are all killed from roads.

Brett202
11-26-2023, 12:23 AM
With many species under pressure, I believe the B.C. government will just continue to reduce the harvest allocation for the licensed hunter because they are powerless to use quantified harvest quotas to tackle the real reason for population declines. When these reductions don’t work they’ll just look to further redundant reductions until everything is closed.

I really believe reducing vehicle access is the only way to reduce the harvest in the current political environment.

Arctic Lake
11-26-2023, 09:28 AM
I hear ya Brett but as I get older I might not be able to do a pack out of a big game animal .I’m 67 now .
Arctic Lake
With many species under pressure, I believe the B.C. government will just continue to reduce the harvest allocation for the licensed hunter because they are powerless to use quantified harvest quotas to tackle the real reason for population declines. When these reductions don’t work they’ll just look to further redundant reductions until everything is closed.

I really believe reducing vehicle access is the only way to reduce the harvest in the current political environment.

Brett202
11-26-2023, 11:01 AM
Arctic Lake, I hear that too and I completely agree there should still be opportunities for guys to hunt that way, but as CAC said it’s getting hard( not impossible but more difficult) to find an area in the lower half of the province you can walk in without roads intersecting it every half mile. I would advocate for reduced access, not no access.

CAC
11-26-2023, 02:59 PM
Is also important to remember that to accommodate all ability levels to the same level of opportunity should never be done at the expense of wildlife populations. As we get older we should not expect to be able to do the same things we did when we were young. It sucks, I know, but that is literally life. It makes sense to provide opportunities for disabled people, but not disabled by father time. Otherwise we can start by giving assistance to those who are more out of shape or not as skilled, poorer gear, they have a quad then do I get a quad? the list goes on. That is equity not equality. As I get older I limit my outings, lighten my pack and when the opportunity arises get younger hunting partners to help with any heavy lifting.

TeeVee
11-26-2023, 11:03 PM
The first time I posted about this I was trying to be polite. Now I’m pissed off.

Some of us live and work on forest service roads. If you drive on them at 10kph and refuse to let guys past, you are a selfish asshole and should be embarrassed to call yourself a woodsman.

Maybe I’ll come to Kamloops and crawl down the road looking at Christmas lights and not let you guys past. Is that any different?

Please pull over fellas, I promise I won’t shoot your grouse or your deer.

yes please pull over. Couple years ago I was meeting a helicopter at a certain time north of Kamloops and some dick was putting along and tons of dust so hard to see, tried to pass by and the asshole swerved so I couldn't. I was thinking of doing the pit maneuver to get him the **** out of the way. At $1900 an hour for this machine waiting I was at my breaking point to do something that would not have ended well.

Brett202
11-26-2023, 11:53 PM
Perfect example TeeVee.

Treed
11-27-2023, 10:39 PM
Yes, I’ve had guys driving 15k an hour in front of me and refusing to let me pass when I’ve been trying to do my job. So frustrating, especially when I’m on a fixed price contract and wasting my time behind some dude who obviously has no idea people actually work in the bush. I’ve had colleagues parked on block roads who’ve had shots pass over them - if there is a truck parked on a road farc off and hunt somewhere else. I was working with a woman forester in Quesnel and her husband drove a logging truck. Coming down a mainline one day, he got radiod that there was a pickup with both doors open at xx km. Two ‘hunters’’ had bailed out to chase something, leaving their rig and two open doors in the middle of a mainline. He took off one door to get by and his buddy took of the other a few minutes later going the opposite way. Good luck hunting but remember everyone working in the bush has right of way.

Redthies
11-27-2023, 11:00 PM
Everyone working in the bush has right of way.

Not true. Just because you are working, does not LEGALLY give you right of way on a road, but MORALLY it should. Some people are just dicks though.

REMINGTON JIM
11-27-2023, 11:17 PM

QUOTE=Brett202;2426349]Amen to that CAC! From what I see over prescribed road access has got to be the biggest issue facing ungulates. This year I saw a gross over harvest of moose by hunters who don’t need to worry about antler or sex restrictions. These are all killed from roads.[/QUOTE]

YUP ! RJ

Downwindtracker2
11-28-2023, 09:22 AM
When road hunting is done right, you're moving at a brisk walking pace.

ratherbefishin
11-28-2023, 10:39 AM
Or get up early and hike in quietly on a dead end road only to have a couple of motor cycles blast by you

Ron.C
11-28-2023, 10:55 AM
Or get up early and hike in quietly on a dead end road only to have a couple of motor cycles blast by you

Lol. Been there and it sucks but chance you take if you are going to hunt a road/trail accessible by motorized vehicles. Maybe the guy has a stand and parks at roads end and walks from there?

I don't block anyone from accessing any road or get shitty when someone wants to drive past me if I'm on a road trail in my truck/on my quad or on foot.

I have some sweet old roads of various state of repair I like to walk in and hunt but I don't expect to be left alone when I chose to hunt on or within sight of roads or trails.

MRP
11-28-2023, 12:24 PM
The speed limit is 80 k on resource roads unless otherwise proposed. If you’re not doing the limit and someone is behind you get out of the way. The working man in my opinion always has the right away.

CAC
11-28-2023, 12:35 PM
Regardless of your speed or the speed limit or your reason for being on the road if someone comes up behind you, pull over when safe and let them by. It's safest for everyone. Shouldn't need to be said.

Downwindtracker2
11-28-2023, 01:01 PM
It's a good hunting as well. Animals will run across after a vehicle passes.

Squamch
11-28-2023, 01:23 PM

Sorry about that, we had places to be though, about 2 hours past the end of the road.

FishandSticks
11-28-2023, 01:40 PM
Well the first line from the BCFSR guide is

"EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED" :lol:

https://www2.bcforestsafe.org/files/ps_ResourceRoadUserSafetyGuideBrochure.pdf

dino
11-28-2023, 01:42 PM
Road "hunting" lol. Like it's a skill... but I bet there's a book on it.

Livewire322
11-28-2023, 02:40 PM
Road "hunting" lol. Like it's a skill... but I bet there's a book on it.

Why do you feel the need to shit on road hunting? Physical ability, available time, scouting new area, etc… there’s plenty of reasons people might choose to hunt from a vehicle. There’s no need to throw shade on people who hunt within the law.

Let’s be real, it’s not like you’re taking down deer in hand-to-hand combat - at best, you’re taking your rifle for a hike and shooting an animal at distance - so why don’t you dismount that elevated steed.

mrdoog
11-28-2023, 03:29 PM
Why do you feel the need to shit on road hunting? Physical ability, available time, scouting new area, etc… there’s plenty of reasons people might choose to hunt from a vehicle. There’s no need to throw shade on people who hunt within the law.

Let’s be real, it’s not like you’re taking down deer in hand-to-hand combat - at best, you’re taking your rifle for a hike and shooting an animal at distance - so why don’t you dismount that elevated steed.

-wouldn't it be hand to hoof combat?

SSG-man
11-28-2023, 03:37 PM
Kinda like saying go fishing without a boat.
Quit trolling.
Ya, get out and swim around a bit...the farther the better.
;)

boilerroom
11-28-2023, 04:01 PM
Kinda like saying go fishing without a boat.
Quit trolling.
Ya, get out and swim around a bit...the farther the better.
;)

HBC - always good for a devolving thread chuckle

Downwindtracker2
11-28-2023, 05:53 PM
Road hunting properly done is more tiring than a pleasant walk down an old logging road. If it isn't, you're doing it wrong.

Redthies
11-28-2023, 07:28 PM
Regardless of your speed or the speed limit or your reason for being on the road if someone comes up behind you, pull over when safe and let them by. It's safest for everyone. Shouldn't need to be said.

You are 100% correct. If someone wants to get past you, let them by…

carnivore
11-28-2023, 08:27 PM
Round hunting the proper way, without impeding traffic.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Roadhunter.jpg

j270wsm
11-28-2023, 08:43 PM
When road hunting is done right, you're moving at a brisk walking pace.

road hunting should be done at a pace so that by the time the animal hears you it’s too late…..

Redthies
11-28-2023, 10:17 PM
Round hunting the proper way, without impeding traffic.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Roadhunter.jpg

Why don’t we have a “like” button on here?? Not sure what the thing on the sign that’s supposed to be crossing is. Looks like Gary Larson drew it!

carnivore
12-03-2023, 02:24 PM
Successful road hunting requires the proper equipment, especially for those fleet footed white-tails that like to bolt across the road.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Road_Hunting_Special.jpg

MRP
12-03-2023, 03:52 PM
Wolves lookout. ^^^^^^

CAC
12-03-2023, 04:13 PM
How do you score a road in B&C? Where do you place your shot to ensure a clean ethical kill? Is there a road Grand Slam? So many questions.

stoneramhunter
12-03-2023, 05:17 PM

I agree with you many reasons for hunting the back roads. Even though I'm a seasoned hunter in the backcountry i also enjoy hunting forest service roads. Seasons Greatings and all the best next hunting season

dino
12-03-2023, 06:34 PM

Lol.
I have taken my youngest for the last two years road hopeing. I'm not against it clearly. The reality is that when most humans think of hunting they think of someone on a hike with a rifle. The truth is that most road hunters can hike but they won't and the complaint from the OP is about road hunters that think they own the road. It's a lazy man's way of getting meat that is usually from a very young animal. Go ahead and call it what you want but shooting a deer/elk/moose from the hood of your truck is not hunting to me. It's hopeing to get lucky if you cover enough area.
I agree with the OP. Get out of the way.

stoneramhunter
12-03-2023, 09:21 PM
Lol.
I have taken my youngest for the last two years road hopeing. I'm not against it clearly. The reality is that when most humans think of hunting they think of someone on a hike with a rifle. The truth is that most road hunters can hike but they won't and the complaint from the OP is about road hunters that think they own the road. It's a lazy man's way of getting meat that is usually from a very young animal. Go ahead and call it what you want but shooting a deer/elk/moose from the hood of your truck is not hunting to me. It's hopeing to get lucky if you cover enough area.
I agree with the OP. Get out of the way.

" a lazy mans way of getting meat that is usually from a very young animal" what the hell have you been smoking. I have shot some monster deer on service roads deer will go where they want as will other animals. Does that mean that Deer and Elk that i shot on my ranch from a tree stand or on my walking the fields is not hunting as well? and to have the balls to suggest someone road hunting is not hunting is utter b.s.

Ferenc
12-03-2023, 09:29 PM
“Unlock the secrets to road hunting” .... Western Hunter
Fer a read

dino
12-03-2023, 10:22 PM
" a lazy mans way of getting meat that is usually from a very young animal" what the hell have you been smoking. I have shot some monster deer on service roads deer will go where they want as will other animals. Does that mean that Deer and Elk that i shot on my ranch from a tree stand or on my walking the fields is not hunting as well? and to have the balls to suggest someone road hunting is not hunting is utter b.s.

To many boosters are getting to you. Yes the odd slightly more mature animals will make a rut induced mistake by venturing out but almost all mature deer won't. It's not my first rodeo there bud.
I was part of a group for the youth opener. 25 bucks taken road hopeing, largest buck was a small 5x4. Nice try.