PDA

View Full Version : Come Alongs

fogrady
11-23-2023, 02:50 PM
I have to buy a new come along for my F150. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what kind I should get?

wideopenthrottle
11-23-2023, 03:08 PM
If you are an old boyscout and rope rescue technician like me you might prefer a long rope, a rope grab (prussik) and a few pullies...way more versatile...but good luck on what ever you decide

fogrady
11-23-2023, 03:58 PM
I am going to look into that. I have the skills and the material. Thanks.

Downwindtracker2
11-23-2023, 04:07 PM
Tirfor Jack .That's what we called them in the construction industry. But instead of having to buy the genuine German ones, Princess Auto has what they call a cable puller ?. I think I saw one in the latest flyer. I never had one myself, just always wanted one. The ones you don't want are the barb wire fence stretchers so common. Better a chain come-a-long. For hauling moose out, a long heavy hemp rope and snatch block or two. Hemp ropes don't stretch, you just have to look after them.

A couple of hunting buddies, bought Lewis Winches, a chain saw winch. There are knock-offs around of them ,too.

Ferenc
11-23-2023, 06:31 PM
I like the “Lug All” brand .... nice light unit ... and will do the job ... little bit higher priced, but it works good.

Downwindtracker2
11-23-2023, 07:08 PM
I looked them up, it seems I already have one. I don't know if it's that brand, but it was made in the States . The nice thing about it, it fits, with shorted pipe handle, in a 5 gallon pail. We used them on the Site One dam construction. The main contractor was an American outfit. I guess that's why we got them. I much preferred Tirfor Jacks for long pulling and chain come-a-a longs for lifting and a lot of other work that didn't need distance. Both are much handier.

IronNoggin
11-24-2023, 11:19 AM
Tirfor Jack .

Been packing one with the 4 ton capacity for years.
Work very VERY Well!

https://images.globalindustrial.ca/images/pd/VEI_CP-15_A.jpg?t=1699552484000

Cheers

sparkes3
11-26-2023, 08:22 AM
I have both tirfor and a Lewis winch, both are awesome tools to have in your kit.
not much I can’t move when I need to.

Arctic Lake
11-26-2023, 09:07 AM
I know this is a bit more than a come a long but liking the idea of these below . I’m not a rigging expert but I would think doubling up with snatch blocks would increase the load pull with the basic model.

The moose we got this year we used a truck with ropes and pulleys and it was a lot because we could not do a straight pull where the machine below might have been a huge asset . I must say though I bought 100 feet of Bull Dog synthetic winch rope to take up hunting and used it in the rigging for the moose and it held up like a champ . Available at Lordco
https://www.portablewinch.ca/

Then theres these https://www.maasdam.com/rope-pullers.html

And these https://thearboriststore.com/products/morepower-puller-hand-winch-5-16-amsteel-blue

Anyone used any of the above please let me know .Thanks !
Arctic Lake

Planer99
11-26-2023, 09:52 AM
Tirfors work great…. Usually a real wrestling match to roll up the cable neatly though

Muledeercrazy2
11-26-2023, 11:04 AM
Lugalls are very good, just be careful the handles will fail if you overload them. I have rescue rope and pulleys, but it really starts getting to be alot of gear to set up a 5 or 6:1 reduction with 1-200’ of close to 1” diameter line and even then you need a small come a long to manage the weight of a truck. 5000# with a 5:1 reduction still needs 1000# of pull and your safety factor on the mainline is minimal

sparkes3
11-26-2023, 07:57 PM
Once I’m done with the tirfor I lay the cable out straight and starting at the end with the hook I twist it as I make the loops once all the loops are made and it’s almost all rolled up i put the cable through the loop 3-4 times and then tape it in a few places.
it may seem like a lot or a pain in the ass but it keeps the cable neat and tidy. Then the cable tirfor and handle goes into a duffle bag until next time.

knothead
11-27-2023, 12:14 PM
Nice thing about a tirfor is the cable length doesn’t have to be long. You can pull 10’ then reset and add a rope to the end if you need a longer reach.
If your pulling a stuck truck ten feet is often all you need.

wideopenthrottle
11-27-2023, 02:45 PM
you can get 9-1 with two 3:1 Z rigs and minimal rope doubled back...

Lugalls are very good, just be careful the handles will fail if you overload them. I have rescue rope and pulleys, but it really starts getting to be alot of gear to set up a 5 or 6:1 reduction with 1-200’ of close to 1” diameter line and even then you need a small come a long to manage the weight of a truck. 5000# with a 5:1 reduction still needs 1000# of pull and your safety factor on the mainline is minimal

mikeman20
11-27-2023, 06:04 PM
I've got one of these cable pullers:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/certified-hoist-puller-heavy-duty-2-ton-capacity-0618155p.0618155.html?rq=winch#srp

its falling apart now and needs to be replaced (you get what you pay for), but it's pulled my 1500 out of the shit a few times!

fogrady
11-28-2023, 08:02 AM
Gentlemen, Thank you for the information and suggestions. I learned a lot. Firstly I ditched my "fence puller" rather than repair it.
I ended up with a 3 ton CM Lever Chain Host. A Millwright friend had one he was not using so he gave it to me. I have played with it a bit
in my back yard. I am going to do a training scenario with it in the bush to make sure I know how to use it correctly (and safely).

Downwindtracker2
11-28-2023, 09:11 AM
There was a reason he didn't use it. Even the aluminum CM 3 ton is going to be heavy. When I millwrighted in sawmills, a 1/2 ton CM was always on my shoulder. The 1/2 tons had an overload slip clutch, which sometimes needed adjustment and should be keep half ass clean. Because 3 tons are heavy, so rarely used, it should be good.While CM is no longer around, there should be a manual on the net. 'ell with a 3 ton if you can't pull a p/u out, you can lift it out.

fogrady
11-28-2023, 05:14 PM
Downwindtracker2; I found a pdf manual on line, thanks. I will read up on it which will save me some grief down the road.