PDA

View Full Version : Bad luck or bad area?

geo guy
11-10-2023, 02:59 PM
Over the last 20 odd years we have been searching out areas for Muley's near our cabin. As I was in school, then university and now working I've never had as much time as I would like to got hunting. As such we would normally go for any buck. We found a spot that we think is pretty good and we got 6 bucks in 3 years including a nice 3x3. However the last couple years I've had more vacation time and we decided to hunt 4 pt season, as its both of our goal to get a nice 4x4 muley.

Last year we spent somewhere between 15 and 20 days in mid November through December 10th. We would see what we think is a decent amount of deer, 40 a day in Mid-November and over 100 a day in Late November/Early December, with a good mix of bucks in there. Probably 1 buck for every 8 or so does. Lots of rubs as well.

We have seen some massive 3pts, I've got a picture of 2 large 3x3's hanging out together and dozens of other nice 3pts. I saw a group of 13 bucks last year. But we have never seen a 4 pt. (apart from 2 we have seen other people had shot in the general area, not our exact spot).

This year we decided to try a little earlier to see if that made a difference. In 5 days we have seen 4 different 3pts and lots of spikes and 2pts, but still no 4pt.

Are we just having bad luck in this area or should we be looking for a new spot to go for 4pt season next year?

Darksith
11-10-2023, 03:19 PM
whats your definition of a nice 3 point? Is it a mature buck or a strong genetic 2 or 3 year old?

If there are deer in the area and there are bucks in the area I would say you just have to keep at it. Whether theres a big old mature buck around or maybe pressure has him nocturnal or gone who knows, but if your seeing bucks you should find a mature one eventually. The older they get the more their habits will keep them away from you

warnniklz
11-10-2023, 04:10 PM
It's been warm and no snow in the high country to push them down... however, I've noticed a lot of nocturnal bucks out chasing tail

geo guy
11-10-2023, 04:18 PM
whats your definition of a nice 3 point? Is it a mature buck or a strong genetic 2 or 3 year old?

If there are deer in the area and there are bucks in the area I would say you just have to keep at it. Whether theres a big old mature buck around or maybe pressure has him nocturnal or gone who knows, but if your seeing bucks you should find a mature one eventually. The older they get the more their habits will keep them away from you

From what we have seen most likely a strong genetic 3 year old as they are fairly wide and decently tall, but not heavy. Like out past the ears and at least 4 inches after the second fork on the back or front beam.

I never really thought about them going mostly nocturnal during the rut. Always assumed they would be chasing does regardless. But have definitely noticed the larger ones in much thicker cover and steeper terrain.