PDA

View Full Version : Tips for backpacking in coastal winter

TheObserver
11-08-2023, 09:36 PM
Goin after some Blackies up high, going to be sh!++y and wet weather, any little tips first time winter backpacking

dakoda62
11-08-2023, 09:40 PM
polypropylene under layer, waterproof boots and gaitors.

Husky7mm
11-08-2023, 09:58 PM
My tip, don’t go. Hahaha

Husky7mm
11-08-2023, 10:00 PM
But if you must, I am not sure if anything is waterproof so you need changes of clothes. If you hike in rain gear you will be soaked regardless. Maybe you get lucky with the weather.

Bustercluck
11-08-2023, 10:10 PM
Get comfortable being uncomfortable

TheObserver
11-08-2023, 10:10 PM
My tip, don’t go. Hahaha

Lol I know this has ran through my mind a few times, but I must there is good stuff up there

TheObserver
11-08-2023, 10:11 PM
But if you must, I am not sure if anything is waterproof so you need changes of clothes. If you hike in rain gear you will be soaked regardless. Maybe you get lucky with the weather.

I will be going up in thick green helly hansen, will be sweating lots. But got extra sets of clothes to keep back at camp dry

TheObserver
11-08-2023, 10:13 PM
polypropylene under layer, waterproof boots and gaitors.

Brand new 800$ kenetreks and they are leaking, got good gaiters though

kitnayakwa77
11-08-2023, 10:19 PM
Spare Clothes/sleeping bag in waterproof bags of some kind in your backpack. Spare socks in ziplocks. Hot tent.

M1SF1T
11-08-2023, 11:08 PM
Are you base camping at your truck or backpack hunting with a tent? Either way I'd want a hot tent set up.

RackStar
11-09-2023, 06:32 AM
Brand new 800$ kenetreks and they are leaking, got good gaiters though
Shitty to hear about your boots. What a piss off , I’ve been going back and forth on those and Crispi for my next boot. I’ll be going Crispi after hearing this

Squamch
11-09-2023, 08:06 AM
Long John's suit to sleep in.
Insulated pad.
Foot and hand warmers
Lay your gaiters over your boots at night, they'll be frozen, but there won't be frost IN them

Husky7mm
11-09-2023, 08:23 AM
I will be going up in thick green helly hansen, will be sweating lots. But got extra sets of clothes to keep back at camp dry
That is probably the best gear at actually keeping the rain out but ya lots of sweating. I hear if you put hot paws in your boots at night they will dry your boots, but not if your soaked. In moose/ elk camp we bring a peet propane boot dryer. I also do a ton of hunting in Rubber boots. Even in the foot hills and we have big river valleys so some steep terrain, even cliffs. Rubber boots and bama socks. Seems goofy but feet stay dry. ( hiked over 20kms in rubber boots often) I don’t know if any hiking boot is waterproof anymore. Really disappointing, especially for the cost.
Years ago I had a pair of Irish setter elk trackers, I would melt snow seal into them with the blow dryer on the seems and especially around the sole. Then mink oil the rest. They were gortex IIRC, they lasted over 10 years but only used in the late season and not in the rocks. They were water tight. I have a new pair and they leak in grass that has dew on it. Pathetic.
I don’t know if snow seal is proper boot care for $800 boots but it worked for my $350 boots.

Jamesonm
11-09-2023, 09:47 AM
I used to use nikwax paste (can't find it anymore) and have switched to zamberlain paste which seems to work just as well on my +10 year old scarpa boots for waterproofing. They get a few treatments every year.

Staying off the cold ground is going to be a big one with the loss of heat. I like to use the thermarest z sol (closed cell foam) underneath my other thermarest for an added extra layer of insultation. A really solid sleeping bag is going to be your bestfriend to crawl into after you're cold and wet. Stuff your next day's clothes into your sleeping bag with you to keep them warm. The idea of putting your gaiters over your boots is a great idea to keep the frost out of them. Someone here also said (when packing your bag), take take of the ounces and you'll take care of the pounds -- or something to that effect -- really makes you debate what you're throwing on your back, whether you can live without a luxury item or not.

It's going to be hard to accomplish but try not to sweat too hard and soak yourself -- easy to get hypothermia that way, esp. in the high country after you stop moving. Slow is smooth -- smooth is fast. Using a layering system will be essential to moderate your body temp. I only wear wool under my rain gear (unless it's my puffy when I'm glassing from a vantage point). I will also bring two sets of gloves if I know I will be tromping around and getting really wet.

Leave a detailed itinerary with someone you trust where you're going, where the truck is parked, and when you should be returning. Having sat comms is super helpful to keep in touch, should something happen and you get hurt or require assistance.

Last but not least, try to enjoy it -- I love going out when it's gnarly.

Let us know how you make out.

MOOSE MILK
11-09-2023, 11:03 AM
I always swore by rendering down bear fat for waterproofing leather boots. (good for chapped hands too)
MM

Arctic Lake
11-09-2023, 11:23 AM
You probably know this already Observer ,stay away from cotton in winter Polypropylene ,wool , but not cotton it’s a killer in winter.
Arctic Lake

Redthies
11-10-2023, 04:15 AM
Merino is your friend. I have a ton of First Lite merino, and some times feel like a goof layering it all up, and knowing guys go out in sweat pants and a hoody and get big deer all the time…

BUT, in the words of Cypress Hill: “When the shit goes down, you better be ready!”

As said before, try and move a little slower so you don’t sweat as much. You will stay drier in that Helly gear by going slow. As a bonus, you’ll see more deer that way too!

FishandSticks
11-10-2023, 08:25 AM
^ This

Light weight everything ( specifically designed for backpacking), as you back pack will most likely be 42-55. Air mattress for insulation

Also the lightweight Orange and silver emergency blankets work for under tent and as a tarp and are light.

TyTy
11-11-2023, 11:03 AM
Extra base layers of merino, forget polypropylene. Wool gloves, lots of pairs. Neck warmer, quick and easy to regulate temperature. Hiking poles and head lamps

Coyote
11-11-2023, 05:04 PM
How long are you going for? On the coast in winter wool is your friend. I used rubber boots and bama socks for years. The bama socks will keep your feet warm and dry. Keep an eye on the weather. It can snow unuf at elevation to collapse your tent overnite and make getting out difficult.

RackStar
11-11-2023, 05:41 PM
Definitely would want a hot tent myself , it can sure friggin piss down there. Definitely don’t miss the rain, I love them coastal mountains though. Never did get a blacktail i wish I was serious about them when I lived there. Amazing species of deer, I totally get how you’re hooked on them.

a plane old tent and wet clothes just sounds down right miserable

TheObserver
11-11-2023, 08:03 PM
Spent two nights up there, started to snow as soon as I hit the first high shelf and man did it start barfing and it didn't stop still going when I left. Woke up to a foot first day then this morning was 2 on its way to 4!! Didn't see a single track up in that part, all the activity was about ~500-700ft lower where it was only a couple inches, only takes 3.5 hours to get to that spot so i'm just going to start the hike at 3am just for the day lightweight goin commando hopin to get me a big Buck.

Rain gear is pvc not rubber.

Was brutal truggin through that snow with a heavy pack on the way out, thanks for the replies, I was actually super warm both nights had a couple gear failures but the sleeping was probably the best part

TheObserver
11-11-2023, 08:06 PM
I got the kenetrek mountain guides NI, and they are good but leak sending them back. I've had wet feet for 4 days straight sucks when you go to put them on in the morning for that kind of money I do so much hiking year round figured I was getting top notch.

Only problem with heavy oils and fats is it can delaminate the rubber rand on these boots. Horrible break in, but everything else is very good, just leak, for that kind of money would never recommend them or buy that brand again.

TheObserver
11-11-2023, 08:24 PM
I'll check out those bama socks forsure, had lots of wool and a thermarest pad.

I know there are large bucks there, on the waydown found lots of rounded big tracks with fresh rubs shavings on the fresh snow, got the next two days let you guys know how I make out. Had a shot on a young 3X2 on way up but after last years f**k up really givin it my all for a big guy

mike31154
11-12-2023, 12:05 PM
I was wondering how high you were planning on going. If I've learned anything about the mountains over the years is that weather can be unprediictable. Altitude is a game changer. I'm in the interior but I don't think it matters much other than it's drier than the coast during the summer. Quite a number of years ago I decided to venture up higher late November for a hunt. Good access via FSR to above Mabel Lake. I knew there would be plenty of snow so brought along my ski touring gear. No ungulate tracks, plenty of bunny tracks. A beautiful day for a little ski tour with the 30-06.

It was just a day trip, no camping. You might want to consider bringing along a light set of snowshoes for your next hike. ;)

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?resid=A0157E1B64909474%2114942&authkey=%21AC9ES2Wig48XoZI&width=1024

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?resid=A0157E1B64909474%2114945&authkey=%21AP14QkhWXDyaYIc&width=1024

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?resid=A0157E1B64909474%2114938&authkey=%21AFeuizsXjG6IBrU&width=1024

Mark-R
11-12-2023, 12:42 PM
Like others have said, hot tent. I have a couple of deer that are directly because I had a Seek Outside tipi + stove waiting for me back at camp.
Total game changer when it's 4pm getting dark, you've hiked/still hunted all day, you're tired, wet, cold, hungry and you have a hot stove waiting for you.
There's a lot more time spent inside the tent this time of year.
Nothing better than lying on your sleeping bag in your undies as if you're at the beach, eating a Peak Refuel, looking at maps, drying things out, while it's -10C outside and do it all again the next day.

Mark-R
11-12-2023, 12:50 PM
Also microspikes for your boots are invaluable in steep snowy terrain. I have the Kahtoola from Valhalla, work great.

Arctic Lake
11-12-2023, 02:29 PM
I have not really done much hunting in snow and icy conditions but hiked quite a bit in snowy icy conditions .
Micro spikes are the cats ass as mentioned above . In snow snow shoes are a great way to get around .
Arctic Lake

Downwindtracker2
11-13-2023, 07:40 PM
Hot tent, now that's funny.You have to be very fit to pack more than 40# up. On the coast, I've gotten wet and cold in the summer time up high, I know how unpleasant that can be. A lightweight tent with good high tub and fly that goes to the ground . At least then you'll get a dry night's sleep. MEC use to have some decent backpacking tents made.A bit on the heavy side though. In 2013 I bought from them a Big Agnes tent for camping with the Jeep. It didn't have a tub.Which in this country should be a crime. Maybe check REI now, they are based in Seattle so they should know what they are doing. It pretty tough even in summer to go solo, a pair can split the packing of gear. Polyester will dry out where as wool will hold water. Commercial fishermen long ago switched from wool to polyester.