PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Scope Issue! Please share your knowledge and experience

HarryToolips
11-05-2023, 02:14 PM
Hey folks,Yesterday while out hiking with my son I slipped on an icy trail and landed rifle first to the ground, hitting my scope badly.. scope rings etc feel tight, scope doesn't appear to move. Checked my dials, they didn't move (I mark their correct location after sight in with a black marker pen)..checked today, rifle is shooting way off to the left..but, the 2 shots grouped closely, although now way off... so, in theory, should I be able to ensure my rings and bases are tight, then re-sight it in, or is there most likely an issue with my scope and even though it seems to shoot consistently, it may act erratic ?Thanks in advance for sharing any insight and experience everyone..

HarryToolips
11-05-2023, 02:21 PM
I should also mention that the scope looks totally normal when looking through it... I knocked a scope out years ago on a different rifle, and when looking through it, it was easy to tell that it was knocked out...

Weatherby Fan
11-05-2023, 02:41 PM
Adjust it to your zero and shoot a group, if it shoots ok carry on, if not you know what to do !

horshur
11-05-2023, 02:49 PM
I wouldn't trust it but it may be fine. Only time will tell. This happened too me years ago and it all seemed good after adjusting it back but it fogged up inside later on..

Weatherby Fan
11-05-2023, 03:21 PM
You never did say what brand of scope it was ?

wallz
11-05-2023, 04:33 PM
Readjust your zero and carry on, until there is a problem.

high horse Hal
11-05-2023, 05:10 PM
If the erector set is knocked out, is should bounce back to where the adjuster screws hold
re zero but keep notes of your adjustments, you may wind up back at the starting point as recoil settles things into place

rings and bases may feel tight to the hand but may be out of torq spec too, moving under recoil
If super critical to be perfect, I would re-install bases and rings and scope

or like suggested, bang away until a problem shows, if it does

RackStar
11-05-2023, 05:14 PM
Had same thing happen. Had to re zero I was 7” left. Holding fine so far through elk season and into deer season

horseman2
11-05-2023, 06:57 PM
Since you did not mention the manufacturer, some have excellent replacement policies.
If it is out of kilter you have eight months to get a replacement.
Bushnl replaced one that was driven over by a truck. Their ad on TV shows a kid throw a scope into the fireplace . . . "We will replace that too"!

HarryToolips
11-05-2023, 07:44 PM
You never did say what brand of scope it was ?It is a Luopold scope, 3-9 zoom... thanks for the replies!

HarryToolips
11-05-2023, 07:47 PM
Appreciate the replies guys, cheers!

Gateholio
11-05-2023, 07:51 PM
If it just shifted the windage and no elevation change, and it doesn't shoot an erratic group, I would look at the rings and bases first. They may have been knocked to one side, a screw failed, whatever. So remove scope, remount, re- zero. Then check for POI changes.

Of course this depends on how much time you have, too. If I was on a hunt and realized my scope had been knocked sideways I would probably just rezero and go for the time being.

KodiakHntr
11-05-2023, 09:38 PM
Personally, I would pull the glass off and check your rings and bases for a sheared screw or cracked base/ring just in case.
Put it back on and re-zero. If you are getting round groups then call it good for the season, but being a Leupold I would be checking it constantly to see if it’s staying put. After the season is over send it to Korth and tell
them it didn’t hold zero.
I also wouldn’t be surprised if you had to chase zero to get back to where you want it though.

HarryToolips
11-05-2023, 09:40 PM
If it just shifted the windage and no elevation change, and it doesn't shoot an erratic group, I would look at the rings and bases first. They may have been knocked to one side, a screw failed, whatever. So remove scope, remount, re- zero. Then check for POI changes. Of course this depends on how much time you have, too. If I was on a hunt and realized my scope had been knocked sideways I would probably just rezero and go for the time being.Sounds good, I believe I'll remount it then...fortunately I have more rifles so I'm not impeding any hunts by taking it out of service for awhile.

HarryToolips
11-05-2023, 09:42 PM
Personally, I would pull the glass off and check your rings and bases for a sheared screw or cracked base/ring just in case. Put it back on and re-zero. If you are getting round groups then call it good for the season, but being a Leupold I would be checking it constantly to see if it’s staying put. After the season is over send it to Korth and tellthem it didn’t hold zero. I also wouldn’t be surprised if you had to chase zero to get back to where you want it though.OK good to know, thanks man.. cheers

oddsix
11-06-2023, 08:26 AM
Not sure if this will help or not but here's a review on a Leupold scope that talks about rifle drops, not holding zero etc.

Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10x40mm CDS-ZL Field Evaluation | Rokslide Forum (https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/leupold-vx-3hd-3-5-10x40mm-cds-zl-field-evaluation.314762/)

huntingfamily
11-06-2023, 08:59 AM
Not sure if this will help or not but here's a review on a Leupold scope that talks about rifle drops, not holding zero etc.

Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10x40mm CDS-ZL Field Evaluation | Rokslide Forum (https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/leupold-vx-3hd-3-5-10x40mm-cds-zl-field-evaluation.314762/)

Thanks for sharing this evaluation. I recently bought this scope and put it on a Sako 7mm Rem Mag. I'm thinking I should have increased my budget.