PDA

View Full Version : So so season continues at Boundary Bay

silveragent
11-05-2023, 08:24 AM
Got soaked yesterday insisting on hunting the storm in Boundary Bay. While the rain was predictable from the forecast it was more the randomness of the opportunities we had for the majority of the morning we spent waiting for the tide to benefit our floaters while battling the icy showers and wind. That and losing birds to the deceptively flat foreshore and spending too long looking for them.

The day started out with some excitement as cackler and Canadas rose with the morning light from the bay and started streaming inland. After a month of people shooting at them, though, it seemed very random where they would go. The group next to us benefited by having Canadas overfly them within reasonable shooting distance and got at least one. In the same hour, my hunting friend himself tagged a cackler but unfortunately crippled it. He marched out to find it and the longer it went on without his return I knew it was a bad sign. Although guided by some nearer group, after almost forty minutes he gave up. (I had my own nearly frustrating search later in the morning.)

https://i.imgur.com/GvZ9WtI.jpg

By the time the tide benefited our decoys, the weather became too nice and the birds had settled into their loafing pattern. After only random, unsuccessful flyby opportunities we decided the weather meant it was not going to get any better and started talking about quitting. But wouldn't you know, the moment you start packing up you get gimmes. One unwary wigey made a direct pass from the bay right when I was stuffing my bags and I winged him. However, this lead to another long search in deceptively flat ground. I grid searched where I thought I would find the bird for fifteen minutes before I almost stepped on it and chased it down.

Then a few minutes after returning, a second wigey cupped right into our decoys and I took it down. Although crippled it started paddling for the bay so I had to charge down the beach and then chase it underwater after it swam around my ankles for a bit before snagging it, saving my morning.

https://i.imgur.com/LfBVcbR.jpg

The day's follies didn't end even after we truly packed up. While we were dragging out loads along the dyke, still scanning the foreshore from above to see if we could spot the missing cackler, we heard rustling in the bush and my friend spotted a crippled wigey trying to hide. He dispatched it, thankful for having something to bring home.

Gears are drying out now and I need to replace my base layer by something more fleecy. Brrr

It has been a so-so season for me so far in Boundary despite doing the same things. A combination of more competition, to rusty shooting and maybe a little overall weariness. My back and shoulder hurt. It has felt like a grind without the success I am used to. Maybe I need to shake it up and commit to getting on a boat? Not sure, but this season feels like a transition year. I've also lost two good members of my crew to the worsening economic climate - they moved out of LML and it makes me wonder about my future here as well. Still, I did have a better day on Thursday, bringing back four birds. Combining that with the two I got today and my wife is already agitating for me to clear them out.

HarryToolips
11-05-2023, 09:08 AM
Great work and pics, thanks for sharing....

Marc
11-14-2023, 11:23 AM
Not sure how I missed this post but good write up. I agree the season is starting off slow compared to last season. I'm hoping it picks up soon.

Tide timing makes a big difference I'm learning the cycles with the tides and when the ducks begin to move and now avoid the slower then normal periods on the salt water.

I'm still getting out there and coming home with a meal or two in the process helps a lot to keep me motivated to head out again. Not sure what your living quarters are like but a dog makes a world off a difference for recovery of birds and overall experience. If I didn't have my dog with me I'm sure I would pack things in a lot sooner then I would if i didn't have her there.

Keep at it, it will get better! If anything its good for your mental health if nothing else.

silveragent
11-14-2023, 12:45 PM
thanks Marc. Unfortunately, although my wife and I do have a bigger place than before, it will be a slow process to convince her we can get a retriever. She is allergic to most dogs which means it would have to be a poodle variety - we have doggysat a jackapoo with no issues. So no surprising her with a puppy. Still would be my dream.

FishandSticks
11-14-2023, 01:23 PM
Thanks for sharing, there is hope for us newbies thinking of trying with-out a dog

silveragent
11-14-2023, 01:53 PM
Nine years hunting without a dog. Undoubtedly have lost birds along the way but if you are conservative and choose your spot, you can increase your chances of retrieval. This is why I like to shoot the shore. Harder to miss a bird when it splashes down on the open beach or in the water.

webley
11-15-2023, 05:38 AM
Nice pictures and well done, I can smell that shore Line now. Steve!

mastercaster
11-21-2023, 09:20 AM
thanks Marc. Unfortunately, although my wife and I do have a bigger place than before, it will be a slow process to convince her we can get a retriever. She is allergic to most dogs which means it would have to be a poodle variety - we have doggysat a jackapoo with no issues. So no surprising her with a puppy. Still would be my dream.

Not necessarily. I'd suggest checking out one of the more hypoallergenic bird dogs like a wirehaired pointing griffon or a pudelpointer. They're both double coated dogs that can handle cold weather hunting conditions. Don't think I've seen any of the doodley/poodley mutts with a strong prey drive before,,,,,it's all bred out of them so finding one that hunts is likely a crap shoot.

Also,,,, get yourself a good Gortex rain jacket. You can stay out all day with one over waders and never get wet! Makes those miserable wet, windy days far more enjoyable!

silveragent
11-21-2023, 12:22 PM
mastercaster, thanks for those suggestions. I was aware there were other hypo breeds just haven't had time to research them.

I did have an older First Lite jacket that I knew I had to replace this season. Unhappily for my credit card, I ordered a Sitka Hudson jacket this week anticipating being out in the crap all winter.

mastercaster
11-21-2023, 12:39 PM
mastercaster, thanks for those suggestions. I was aware there were other hypo breeds just haven't had time to research them.

I did have an older First Lite jacket that I knew I had to replace this season. Unhappily for my credit card, I ordered a Sitka Hudson jacket this week anticipating being out in the crap all winter.

FYI,,,,, there are no dog breeds out there that are 100% hypoallergenic and while some are better when it comes to people's sensitivity like a poodle there are other dogs out there that people with allergies can live with.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjf2ouq6tWCAxWlEDQIHRFQBmcQFnoECAgQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.akc.org%2Fdog-breeds%2Fhypoallergenic-dogs%2F&usg=AOvVaw016k1fO12BWsSvabrPEWec&opi=89978449

I had people with allergies who really wanted a bird dog meet my griff out in the field and they didn't react and then they sat in my truck for 10 minutes and still didn't react so my griff would have been good for them but I have heard of other lineages of griffs where people with allergies had a allergic reaction so in your wife's case it would be best to meet both parents of a litter of pups just to see how she fares if you ever decide to get tyourself a bird dog..