PDA

View Full Version : Setting up blinds for whitetails - Strategies?

Woodchuck Dan
10-31-2023, 10:31 PM
So I am quite excited for my first whitetail season and November is right around the corner. I was wondering if people would be willing to share their strategies for where they set up blinds/stands.

So far I am combing the woods looking for places where I can find fresh sign, that coincides with access to water and/or food. I have found one such place I am going to sit this weekend.

Another area that seems promising has many game trails that seem to be funneling deer on the boundary between a forested area and a wetland.

Any other strategies you folks use when deciding where to set up shop?

wingmaster
11-01-2023, 12:32 AM
Find those spots, set up blinds with cams on bait 2 weeks ago… profit in next 0-30days

ghost
11-01-2023, 06:47 AM
Wind will be a factor,so place your blind or stand with that in mind. Tree stands can be cold,be prepared for that. I have been stand hunting for a couple of years and like it a lot. See more animals than I thought I would see. It’s amazing how they show up out of nowhere. Good luck

fearnodeer
11-01-2023, 07:18 AM
I set up in a private field surrounded by forest, one side of the field we sit in a permanent tree stand that seats 4 and the other side I use a ground blind out in the open, have not had a problem hunting either side, like mentioned prior smells can be a giveaway, noise for sure as well.

HarryToolips
11-01-2023, 07:20 AM
Wind will be a factor,so place your blind or stand with that in mind. Tree stands can be cold,be prepared for that. I have been stand hunting for a couple of years and like it a lot. See more animals than I thought I would see. It’s amazing how they show up out of nowhere. Good luck
Indeed it is truly amazing how they show up out of nowhere....

As for the OP's question, I don't use blinds but I'd find the most active intersecting trail system and start there...trails to and from bedding areas...I find WT's really like to start wintering in old growth fir stands come November..and in those stands in particular, I find they really like bedding in the groups of young bright green fir trees, it gives them lots of cover and security...

high horse Hal
11-01-2023, 01:49 PM
there are always varied opinions on how to set up with the wind and air currents in mind
two strategies, calling vs watching a known trail/travel area
-wind in the face vs wind running down the view/shooting lane?
-pollute the 30? 40? degree angle down wind , very possibly but not always the direction a buck would head into on approach?
-travel to the stand via shooting lane, keeping the scent angle narrow?

fun and games playing the wind

Woodchuck Dan
11-02-2023, 07:37 PM
Thank you for all the responses guys this is all quite helpful. I'm hunting in the kootenays (4-16) so there is a bait ban on here. As well I'm definitely late on my scouting and don't have the money for cameras -

My strategy is to sit a blind for 2 - 4 hours, spend a portion of the day scouting in a separate area, spend the rest of the day slowly stalking an area.

I have two blinds and I am trying to piggy back their placement so each blind is brushed up and has a week to cool off before I sit in it.

Weekend 1: hunt blind A - scout and set up blind B
Weekend 2: Hunt blind B - scout and set up blind A
Etc.

In hindsight I wish I spent considerably more time preseason understanding deer movement and creating a system of blinds for changing weather patterns. It's incredible how much public land there is in BC.

I'm trying to find funnel areas outside of where the deer are bedding to hunt in stands right now - As we progress farther into November I am going to try setting up much closer to the bedding areas.

Going to try to be out for 2 full days and several partial days for the rest of November - Always appreciate any input to what I am doing here