PDA

View Full Version : My First 4 Point Muley

savage10
10-28-2023, 01:23 PM
Well it finally all came together. I’ve spent about 20 days in the field so far, passed on some smaller bucks during my elk hunt in region 4. Last week I even missed a buck clean in region 3. I wasn’t about to get discouraged though and kept on going, determined to make it happen.

So I set out in the morning of Oct 26th to an area I got my first buck last year in region 8. It was cold, about -10 and in the last 24-48hrs a considerable amount of snow had fallen. So I thought this should be great and the deer should be moving around.

I get to the FSR and without even making it to the 1km mark, I notice a semi-truck stopped on the hill ahead. I pulled over into a pullout and observed, noticed he was attempting to chain up on the hill. I sit and enjoy my hot coffee, a little frustrated as the sun is rising quick but oh well this is out of my control. Another couple hunters pull up next to me and we shoot the shit for a bit to pass the time. Eventually the rig gets chained up and unstuck and we all get on our way.

On my way to my first area I notice tracks all over the road in the snow. Great they’re definitely moving! I park in my first spot and get out and start hiking. Lots of tracks, lots of sign everything is looking promising. I find a nice area to sit for a bit and glass. After not seeing anything on the move for a while I decide to hike to a different spot and glass some more country. As I’m hiking out I notice I’m missing something…my GoPro!

I retraced my steps back and forth I don’t know how many times…getting frustrated and wasting time when I could be hunting. The snow was ankle deep and I couldn’t figure out where the damn thing had dropped. So it got to a point where I had to make a decision. Waste more time looking for this materialistic item worth hundreds of dollars, or do I just get on with my hunt knowing this is the last day I could get out during any buck season. I decide to cut my losses and get on with my day. So if anyone finds a GoPro in region 8 please message me hahaha.

It’s close to noon at this point so I make my way back to the truck and make myself a nice hot lunch. Coffee, Mr noodles and cheddar smokies. Once lunch is done I decide I’ll go for a little drive and explore some area I haven’t been to yet.

During my drive I’m still finding areas with lots of tracks on the road, crossing the road ect ect so I decide to pull over in some of these areas and hike the timber following the tracks hoping to bump into something. I do this a couple times, found some pretty cool spots and on one instance I almost walked face first into a nice big muley doe. Great now I’m on the board seeing deer.

Now I decide I’m going to park in the exact location I shot my buck last year, and hike the timber around there. So I pull up and park basically right where that Buck was standing. I hop out of the truck and something catches my eye….there’s a deer across the other side of the road, down the bank coming out of the timber. It was thick timber so I couldn’t see what it was at first but thought it was a doe because it hadn’t spooked and was just walking right out into a clearing in my direction.

I raise my binos up to get a look and couldn’t believe what I’m seeing, it’s a buck! I grab my rifle and load it up. At this point the buck breaks out into the clearing. I raise my binos again, holy shit it’s a 4x4! He didn’t seem to care at all that I was there and he was actually walking directly towards me. I raise my rifle and wait, he finally turns broadside and I let him have it. One shot from my 7mm rem mag shooting 155g terminal ascent and he was down, legs kicking in the air. He expired very quickly and I was shocked at what just transpired. I’m standing in the exact spot my buck was last year, and just shot a 4 point. You can’t make this stuff up.

I give him a bit of time just to make sure and then make my way down the bank to go check him out. Wow, could not believe it. My first 4 point muley.

It’s funny how things turn out, and how unfortunate events led me to getting this guy. Missing a smaller buck last week, getting stuck behind the semi and then losing my GoPro and wasting time trying to find it. All that led me to this beautiful buck falling into my lap.

Extremely grateful and going to be lots of good food with memories that will last forever. This is only my second ever buck and couldn’t be happier. Thanks for reading!

Here’s a little clip of me walking up to him.

https://youtube.com/shorts/fB7lKpJSlos?si=jqjCXInSodaRlSod

Pics: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy6SPWERW2A/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

bottles
10-28-2023, 02:30 PM
Sounds like you got yourself a good spot. Congrats on a great looking buck.

savage10
10-28-2023, 04:07 PM
Sounds like you got yourself a good spot. Congrats on a great looking buck.

Thank you! Might have found a little honey hole.

Bigdoggdon
10-28-2023, 05:41 PM
Nice looking buck, congratz.

4 point
10-28-2023, 06:03 PM
Way to go. Sometimes things like that happen.

BeerMan
10-28-2023, 06:20 PM
Nice work! Honey hole may be a perfect description of your spot!

Bugle M In
10-28-2023, 06:51 PM
Congrats……..

jimzuk
10-28-2023, 07:06 PM
Congrats that’s a great buck

TheObserver
10-28-2023, 07:14 PM
Heck of a second buck!! Thanks for taking time to share

Redthies
10-28-2023, 09:08 PM
Congratulations on a fine buck! Think about $20 per pound for organic meat, and that GoPro is cheap to replace! Which part of 8 were you in? I’m on the border of 8-15 and 4-9 and we don’t have that much snow here yet. Just a few flurries so far.

Getbent
10-28-2023, 09:43 PM
Yah congrats for sure and thanks for sharing

Stone Sheep Steve
10-29-2023, 05:41 AM
Right on!
Congrats!
I remember my first 4 pt like it was yesterday and I think was in 2000.

Thanks for taking the time to share

SSS

RICKADY
10-29-2023, 07:57 AM
Beauty, congrats,
Rickady

HarryToolips
10-29-2023, 09:12 AM
Way to go man, nice looking buck... nothing like hunting the snow, it tells a hunter so much... sounds like they're really starting to rut over there..

IronNoggin
10-29-2023, 10:36 AM
Congrats!

A fine read and a fine buck!!

Cheers

180grainer
10-29-2023, 10:51 AM
Nice looking buck. Congrats.

Arctic Lake
10-29-2023, 12:19 PM
Savage 10 that’s a great 4 point ! Yahoo for you . Looks like his neck is swollen up ? Maybe just the camera angle
Arctic Lake

Redthies
10-29-2023, 03:16 PM
Savage 10 that’s a great 4 point ! Yahoo for you . Looks like his neck is swollen up ? Maybe just the camera angle
Arctic Lake

There is some swelling going on… This one is in my brothers yard regularly:
https://i.postimg.cc/K8D8GhXS/F279-A6-CB-C4-CB-4052-9350-B949-C958-B197.jpg (https://postimg.cc/213DGJ82)

Arctic Lake
10-29-2023, 04:18 PM
Puffed out for sure !
Arctic Lakd
There is some swelling going on… This one is in my brothers yard regularly:
https://i.postimg.cc/K8D8GhXS/F279-A6-CB-C4-CB-4052-9350-B949-C958-B197.jpg (https://postimg.cc/213DGJ82)