PDA

View Full Version : A better day on the water

Marc
10-21-2023, 10:55 AM
Once did all the necessary maintenance on the motor after losing it in the drink last week I decided I needed to dust myself off and get back up on the saddle and do it all over again but more cautions and making sure I had everything I needed with me.

It was a super slow day, the rain from the previous couple of days had created puddles and the ducks were now hanging out in the flooded corn and grass field. At one point it got so warm I was starting to sweat and had to unzip my jacket while I was laid out. I had closed my eyes a couple of times as the sun was beating down on me. Every once in a while I would have a look over the decoys to make sure nothing snuck in while I was half dozing off.

At one point I look over my left shoulder and here is a widgeon swimming amongst my decoys at about 10 yards out I had to wait for the duck to be looking away from me to make my move or I wouldn't have time to sit up and aim before it would jump and fly off. the duck finally turned and face away from me, I sit up, shoulder the gun and at the same time the duck takes flight. We are in tight quarters so I wait for the duck to be 20 yards out before I pull the trigger. Dog goes out does his thing and we set back up waiting on the next birds.

Next it's a pair of ducks that come into the decoys. Strangely enough it's a Drake mallard and a hen widgeon. I sit up, take aim, the drake launches itself in the air and I pull the trigger and the drake falls to the water and the dog does it's thing. I decide to pass on the hen widgeon as I already had a bird in the water and wanted to focus on that bird (having flashbacks of chasing cripples).

Over the span of the 9 hours the dog and I were out there we pick up another 2 widgeon for a total of five birds for the day. Not every day is an easy limit and there is more to waterfowling then shooting limits.

All birds are plucked and have been soaking in a salt and honey brine overnight. I have someone trying wild duck for the first time this weekend so I wanted to make sure they were super tasty.

This is my 9 month old pup doing the quality taste test to see if they past inspection.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_8510.jpg

Spy
10-21-2023, 11:30 AM
Good stuff:-)

silveragent
10-23-2023, 07:49 PM
well done .. I am finding it slow to start .. meaning to try it on the water this season again .. so far just sitting on my bum on the foreshore

Marc
10-28-2023, 01:24 PM
well done .. I am finding it slow to start .. meaning to try it on the water this season again .. so far just sitting on my bum on the foreshore

It's still pretty slow out there here as well. I've seen some new birds come in but it's all divers at the moment. Saw a flock of about 70-100 common mergansers and two flocks of about a dozen each of buffleheads that weren't around the week before. It usually starts to pick up around remembrance day.