PDA

View Full Version : Got my doe

jlirot
10-18-2023, 09:53 PM
Posting pix sucks. I try to post from a file and I get a message about the size being too big?

Hiked 7 miles. 1.5 of them hauling out a deer. I cut off the rear quarters - put them in my backpack and hiked 3/4 of a mile to the truck. Picked up a sled and sledded the rest back.

I finally made it to a spot I've been drooling over for a couple of years. Its crown land but all the FSRs go through ranches so no access. New logging made it a shorter hike so I went exploring.

It looked so good that I'm surprised I only saw 2 does. After hiking all over the place I sat down on a hill to watch as the sun was dropping. 2 does popped out at 4-500 yards. A quick scoot back down the hill and around to some trees allowed me to get within 150 yards.

Should have been an easy shot but somehow I didn't hit her clean. I don't know if she moved or if my scope was off. She was quartering towards me - I got both rear legs and she couldn't run so I had to go finish the deal. I need to get to the range and check the rifle. All's well that end's well - but I haven't had a bad shot in a long time and it's not how I like to play. Good reminder that this is a blood sport.

I've got a lot of work to do tomorrow. I'm kind of embarrassed by how it looks with the rear quarters hacked off so I'm too ashamed to take it to the butcher. :-)