PDA

View Full Version : Jasper Park Land - Hunting

4 point
10-17-2023, 06:42 AM
https://cfjctoday.com/2023/10/17/simpcw-first-nation-enters-hunting-agreement-within-its-grounds-on-jasper-national-park-land/

RackStar
10-17-2023, 07:01 AM
Nice, I wish them luck.

HarryToolips
10-17-2023, 07:03 AM
Why am I not surprised....I hope they focus on male segments of the ungulate populations only...are the majority of them true stewards of the land? Time will tell...

M1SF1T
10-17-2023, 08:47 AM
So a special interest group can take firearms into a National Park to assert their "rights" but the rest of us cannot bring a firearm into a National Park to assert our right of self preservation and protection from wildlife.

Husky7mm
10-17-2023, 09:08 AM
Jasper is such a nice place. There was way more game there when I was a kid though. I think the predator numbers must be at an all time high or they are culling game to keep the numbers down? When you see the lay of the land in jasper and throughout the year its very obvious that game would be plentiful there and hunting would have been common prior to it becoming a national park. I am sure that the park displaced whatever Indigenous people that lived there, or hunted there. Its a prime piece of real estate. I think this will open up a can of worms for other Indian bands that also want a claim to hunt there, and also every other park and protected area in Canada. Probably going to be a mess just like everything else with the government and the First Nations. How do you hold a turd by the clean end???

I think most us are mifted cause we are some what jealous of this special treatment and understandably, when have non indigenous people paused from hunting long enough that it would not also be part of our heritage and traditions????

Walking Buffalo
10-17-2023, 09:51 AM
The Simpcw first returned to hunt Jasper in 2017.
After a few years to let the resulting steam boil off, here we are with another hunt and an agreement to make it permanent.

Darksith
10-17-2023, 10:15 AM
Jasper is such a nice place. There was way more game there when I was a kid though. I think the predator numbers must be at an all time high or they are culling game to keep the numbers down? When you see the lay of the land in jasper and throughout the year its very obvious that game would be plentiful there and hunting would have been common prior to it becoming a national park. I am sure that the park displaced whatever Indigenous people that lived there, or hunted there. Its a prime piece of real estate. I think this will open up a can of worms for other Indian bands that also want a claim to hunt there, and also every other park and protected area in Canada. Probably going to be a mess just like everything else with the government and the First Nations. How do you hold a turd by the clean end???

I think most us are mifted cause we are some what jealous of this special treatment and understandably, when have non indigenous people paused from hunting long enough that it would not also be part of our heritage and traditions????

just like Banff Im sure that part of the reason for ungulate decline is the aging of the forest. Banff started doing semi controlled burns in the early 2000's to attempt to reset some of the forest growth cycle to keep animals around creating ideal habitat. Not sure how the mountain pine beetle has affected the parks since though as I am way out of that loop now/since.

Husky7mm
10-17-2023, 10:19 AM
The Simpcw first returned to hunt Jasper in 2017.
After a few years to let the resulting steam boil off, here we are with another hunt and an agreement to make it permanent.

Yes, I remember that, and if I recall correct it as labeled a one time deal for the reconciliation process….this new agreement will set a precedent….. what could go wrong ?
I guess we will find out….

MOOSE MILK
10-17-2023, 11:05 AM
What a bunch of bullshit, a double standard for sure.

IronNoggin
10-17-2023, 11:34 AM
Why am I not surprised....I hope they focus on male segments of the ungulate populations only...are the majority of them true stewards of the land? Time will tell...

Last time around their focus was directly on Trophy Sized Males ONLY.
Habituated, tame park Trophies that is...

Sad.

Darksith
10-17-2023, 11:38 AM

Sad.

Haven't you seen their IG .

Stone Sheep Steve
10-17-2023, 12:02 PM
Personally, I’d prefer to see harvest of animals coming out of an area that doesn’t get any resident pressure….especially when they are feeding elders and other non hunters from their band.
And taking older class males does nothing to the population. If they took those animals out of a general hunting area, people would still complain.

Just my opinion

SSS

warnniklz
10-17-2023, 12:22 PM
National Parks are just government funded user paid no hunting areas. We can develop ski hills in prime mountain goat habitat but cant hunt there...

It's Quaternary Park without fences...

Brambo
10-17-2023, 09:02 PM
I sure don’t

.330 Dakota
10-18-2023, 06:19 AM
Personally, I’d prefer to see harvest of animals coming out of an area that doesn’t get any resident pressure….especially when they are feeding elders and other non hunters from their band.
And taking older class males does nothing to the population. If they took those animals out of a general hunting area, people would still complain.

Just my opinion

SSS
personally Id like to see them buy some beef cattle and lift the pressure off our game

HarryToolips
10-18-2023, 07:29 AM

Sad.
Well that is sad...like you said, not adjusted to hunting pressure....still better than harvesting females though, assuming the male:female ratios are fine...

IronNoggin
10-18-2023, 01:00 PM
Bulletins

Jasper National Park

Effective October 23: Area closure — Indigenous hunting of wildlife in progress, active firearm use in Jasper National Park

Issued: October 17, 2023

Ends: November 13, 2023

Effective dates

October 23, 2023 until November 13, 2023
What:

Pursuant to subsection 36(1) of the National Parks General Regulations, the following areas are closed to all traffic and travel by order of the Superintendent: Prohibited Access to Snaring and Lower Snake Indian Areas.
Where:

In Jasper National Park, north of the Snaring Campground, west of the Trans Mountain Pipeline, south of Devona (Snake Indian CNR Bridge) and the Shale Banks Campground. The southwest boundary follows the De Smet Mountain range back to the Snaring Campground (see map for details).
Why:

Indigenous hunting in progress.
Penalty:

Violators may be charged under the Canada National Parks Act: maximum penalty $25 000.

https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/bulletins/A55A6EC2-B757-4F47-B162-F3211D731800

eatram
10-18-2023, 01:19 PM
I wonder how many hunters you would see if you went during daylight hours.

IronNoggin
10-28-2023, 10:27 AM
WSFAB COMMENTS ON JASPER NATIONAL PARK HUNT

RE: Simpcw and Stoney First Nation Hunt – Jasper National Park

We, the Wild Sheep Foundation of Alberta (“WSFAB”, or “we”), are writing Parks Canada to express our grave concerns with the announcement that Parks Canada has worked out a deal with the Simpcw and Stoney first nations to allow for hunting in Jasper National Park (“Jasper”). Sections of the park are scheduled to be closed October 23, 2023 to November 13, 2023.

http://wsfab.org/wsfab-comments-on-jasper-national-park-hunt/

tadpole
10-29-2023, 10:11 AM
What kind of national park is this, that hunting is allowed. Bull!

Arctic Lake
10-29-2023, 10:25 AM
We are all the same ! “ This land is my land this land is your land “ ! We need to find a solution !
Arctic Lake

Husky7mm
10-29-2023, 10:26 AM
The FN of Grande Cache Alberta claim to have jasper as their traditional territory. They are one of the only bands in Alberta to not have a recognized treaty area iirc.

Who are the Aseniwuche Winewak ᐊᓯᓂᐊᐧᒋ ᐃᐧᓂᐊᐧᐠ?

Our Elders tell us we have lived in the mountains for a long time. Our Ancestors were exceptional horse people with intimate knowledge of the land. In 1907, Jasper National Park was created and our Ancestors were forced to leave their homes in the Jasper Valley. Some families took their livestock and farm machinery on a two-year journey to join relatives already settled in the Grande Cache and Smoky River area.

https://www.aseniwuche.ca/

Mark my words the Federal Government has opened up a huge can of worms with this special treatment of the other bands. And a national park will not mean shit any more. This will set a precedent and provide case law for all provincial and national parks to allow Indigenous hunting.
I am not necessarily against some type of harvest as obviously Indigenous people hunted and lived in these areas prior to the government creation of the park but its going to be an impossible situation to find a solution to.

IronNoggin
11-01-2023, 03:53 PM
3rd First Nation group wants use of Jasper National Park, saying they were evicted in 1911A third First Nation wants Parks Canada to give its members increased access, including limited hunting rights, to Jasper National Park, saying they were evicted when it was created in western Alberta.

“Aseniwuche Winewak calls on Parks Canada to immediately enter into negotiations … restore our access to the park and to prioritize our involvement in the co-management of Jasper both as the park’s current neighbouring Indigenous Peoples and its former inhabitants,” said an Oct. 27 letter from the band to Jasper National Park superintendent Alan Fehr.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10061446/jasper-national-park-hunting-aseniwuche-winewak-nation/

And the beat goes on...

walks with deer
11-01-2023, 08:52 PM
Well I have spoken to and have been freinds with displaced people from jasper in both western alberta and kamloops harvesting some old animals from the park hurts nothing... these people need to put there feet on the land for there own sanity and peace.

IronNoggin
11-02-2023, 10:31 AM
these people need to put there feet on the land for there own sanity and peace.

Bull$hit.
They do this to knock down trophy sized park animals to inflate their already excessive egos.
Period.

jan.wi97
11-02-2023, 10:33 AM
Bull$hit.
They do this to knock down trophy sized park animals to inflate their already excessive egos.
Period.

Matt, saying it like it is

Husky7mm
11-02-2023, 02:14 PM
Bull$hit.
Period.

I used to have a somewhat similar school of thought until I had long, repeated conversations with a variety of first nations people, especially the elders and the spiritual ones. Its best not to paint everyone with the same brush. Its a messy situation cause by a faulty, and failing system. I don’t see how they will ever come to a fair solution for ALL indigenous and non-indigenous user groups.

It is without question that indigenous people lived and hunted in Jasper and were given the boot. Without question they they were booted from prime farmland and given reservations in less desirable areas, often swamps or muskeg. It is without question that the crown killed off all the buffalo so they would have no reliable food source and be forced to move to said reserve and rely on the crown….. without question that many generations were taken from the homes and forced to attend catholic church run residential schools, and be subjected to some abuse from that cult too.
I don’t know how “normal” any of us would be if that was our experience either??

For what it is worth many of the indigenous I have met don’t hunt or fish anymore, or never did, and the ones that do, they share it with those that don’t or can’t so I don’t see them waisting it.

I don’t think for most members that a trophy is the main goal, the draw of the park would be the population itself, probably like fishing in a barrel.
Anyways like I mention way back the trophies and numbers there are not what they used to be. Either the park is culling to keep the population in check or the unchecked predators population is taking its toll. Jasper is not what it was when I was a kid.

The jealousy and frustration that non indigenous people feel is somewhat understandable. When have we paused or stopped hunting long enough that it was not part of our heritage or traditions? But that said there is more going on than that…. “I didn't like my shoes, and then I met a man that had no feet”

dakoda62
11-02-2023, 02:18 PM
It will be a wholesale slaughter, cow's calves,anything that breathes.

IronNoggin
11-02-2023, 02:53 PM
I don’t think for most members that a trophy is the main goal, the draw of the park would be the population itself, probably like fishing in a barrel.

The absolute main focus of their first foray into Jasper was TROPHIES to share on Facebook, Instagram etc.

I see no difference in their stance this time.

Pathetic.

RackStar
11-02-2023, 03:13 PM
Well I have spoken to and have been freinds with displaced people from jasper in both western alberta and kamloops harvesting some old animals from the park hurts nothing... these people need to put there feet on the land for there own sanity and peace.

I hear ya, sure lots of crusty kitties on here.

walks with deer
11-02-2023, 03:14 PM

Sad.

Actually i know two of the harvesters that partake in this hunt... They use it as training for meat handling team building.. they make stuff with the sinew the hides the guts.. i have seen them doing it.. and talked to them at length. Again killing the super young and super old stock isnt a problem... bioligist are envolved...

I Also know some of the displaced people and there children and grand children are great buisness people today.

The two elders in paticular i know that partake in the hunt are great guys and a wealth of knowledge..

walks with deer
11-02-2023, 03:15 PM
Getting youth on the land rather than the streets.

RackStar
11-02-2023, 04:47 PM
I expect crickets after those facts thrown , too many quick to judge based on race / jealousy. The comments above about buying beef instead../ pretty pathetic mindset. This sites turned into a shit hole.

IronNoggin
11-02-2023, 05:20 PM
Actually i know two of the harvesters that partake in this hunt...

Explain the Instagram & Facebook gloating then.
I'll dig up those pics & comments if you wish.

Nauseous regardless of what you and your fanboy imply...