PDA

View Full Version : What do you think happened? (disturbing)

TheObserver
10-09-2023, 03:00 PM
I have a few hypotheses....

Was the first time I have found something like this that I believe was almost certainly shot and left.

Took a new guy out that was completely wet behind the ears yesterday, went for a day trip left at 4am, get there find Deer at first light do a stalk on a Buck but they made it to thick noisy cover before we got up to the shelf and got visibility. Then we go for a drive to another spot close by that has a lot of Deer, on the way there I notice a lot of ravens making a lot of different noises. So I said on the way back we should check that out.

Come back hours later and the ravens are still there, so we parked and started hiking down into there, it was 3pm no clouds sunny day and the wind was blowing right up hill to us. It reeked and I knew there was something down there. Got up to it and couldn't believe it.

Seems it was shot in the neck? Spike forks open in Nov so no Moose are open in this area unless someone has a draw, and as you can see it is a 3 point.

TheObserver
10-09-2023, 03:01 PM
https://i.imgur.com/QStKaFK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GmLByuc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/EG5Zp8U.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zHChuCx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Qzm4ImR.jpg

TheObserver
10-09-2023, 03:01 PM
https://i.imgur.com/qVVmoho.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4o6rdCj.jpg

Roboduck
10-09-2023, 03:10 PM
I bet shots got fired before someone checked the regs. Poor choose and unfortunate consequence.

MRP
10-09-2023, 03:18 PM
Shot and left or shot and walked out of sight. I've heard stories all my life," it walked away it was a clean miss". I've gone back on some of these supposed clean miss and find the tell tail signs that it wasn't, trees full of Ravens.

MichelD
10-09-2023, 03:29 PM
Found something like that only fresher and bigger with an admireable rack in Region 8-4 one time up Gold Creek in September. Lying almost right besde the road such that I spotted it out of the corner of my eye not even driving very slowly. No LEH at the time nor spike-fork opening.

Best I could figure it was a poacher who saw an easy target but once it was dead right beside the road realized that he'd be spotted for sure cutting it up and just left it to rot.

adriaticum
10-09-2023, 03:41 PM
Some, wet behind the ears, who didn't have someone to take them out and show them the ropes, shot the moose and realized it was not a deer.

Wentrot
10-09-2023, 07:11 PM
Damn shame.

j270wsm
10-09-2023, 09:54 PM
Wonder how much antler is on the other side.

SR80
10-10-2023, 04:56 AM
what a waste

LBM
10-10-2023, 05:56 AM
What did the COs have to say about it.

ElectricDyck
10-10-2023, 07:36 AM
Any chance it was an antler puncture hole? We've shot a moose with a deep wound in his rear quarters and bruising everywhere...guess he got beat up..

Livewire322
10-10-2023, 07:50 AM
It could’ve been shot by someone with an LEH authorization, but walked off and perished in a different spot than where it was shot.

high horse Hal
10-10-2023, 08:02 AM
Shot and lost is very plausible, a poor shot location like that doesn't look to involve the spine so a long slow drowning in blood takes time for an agonizing death to finally put him down very likely after some travel
We've heard the same story over and over, 'it was a clean miss' from someone that should be capable of a 2 or even 3 moa shot
This could also be a tough one to track if all the blood is leaking to the inside, being sucked in with each breath, struggling to breath gurgling, til he finally keels over

HarryToolips
10-10-2023, 08:07 AM
It could’ve been shot by someone with an LEH authorization, but walked off and perished in a different spot than where it was shot.
That's what I'm guessing as well...or poaching and left...is there any point to calling it in to RAPP? Hard to say...as was also stated above, Observer are you sure it was a bullet hole? I found a moose once that was almost dead, could tell it was wounded badly in a fight with another bull most likely...

TheObserver
10-10-2023, 08:45 AM
what a waste

First thing the new comer that was with me said

TheObserver
10-10-2023, 08:46 AM
What did the COs have to say about it.

He said they want to speak with you, something about your truck plates and fleeing the scene, and somethin else about being a prime suspect not sure what thats all about

TheObserver
10-10-2023, 08:54 AM
Any chance it was an antler puncture hole? We've shot a moose with a deep wound in his rear quarters and bruising everywhere...guess he got beat up..

That's what I'm guessing as well...or poaching and left...is there any point to calling it in to RAPP? Hard to say...as was also stated above, Observer are you sure it was a bullet hole? I found a moose once that was almost dead, could tell it was wounded badly in a fight with another bull most likely...

You guys could be right and all of the other suggestions from guys comments here I have thought about but for some reason didn't think of wounded in a fight. I guess it could have been, I am no expert on rotting carcasses, to me it looks like a bullet hole but could be a puncture wound from an antler.

I was going to call RAPP today

A couple km up the road we had a place we sat and waited for Deer with good visibility, Deer did come out but no Bucks we sat until dark then when we got to the vehicle and started driving within 30 seconds there was a huge dark thing standing in the middle of the road facing us (I thought it was cattle at first but don't think they free range around there anymore). It was another Bull healthy, young bull but was palmated he was bigger than the dead guy. There are good numbers there could have been a fight and got wounded and succumbed to the injuries. What do you guys think is that a bullet hole or could it be a puncture? I didn't see any other holes in him anywhere that I noticed

TheObserver
10-10-2023, 08:55 AM
Wonder how much antler is on the other side.

Don't know, I wanted to grab his antler and lift his head and check but didn't want to move/play with the scene and disturb the area

jlirot
10-10-2023, 09:40 AM
I found the bones of front quarter of a moose 4 days ago in 3-19. Someone had boned it all out. Looked like a pretty good job too. It was super fresh - probably dumped a couple hours before. I've got pix. It was gone by the next morning. Lots of bears and coyotes in the area.

It was within 20' of where I found the full skeleton of a mulie doe - also completely stripped. There is no season for mulie does.

Both dumped right next to the road.

HappyJack
10-10-2023, 09:53 AM
I found the bones of front quarter of a moose 4 days ago in 3-19. Someone had boned it all out. Looked like a pretty good job too. It was super fresh - probably dumped a couple hours before. I've got pix. It was gone by the next morning. Lots of bears and coyotes in the area.

It was within 20' of where I found the full skeleton of a mulie doe - also completely stripped. There is no season for mulie does.

No season for sustenance hunters, or poachers.

MRP
10-10-2023, 10:09 AM
No season for sustenance hunters, or poachers.

A poacher season..... I'm in, would that be GOS or LEH?

KodiakHntr
10-10-2023, 12:45 PM

Not possible it was shot some place else and just the bones dumped there?

jlirot
10-10-2023, 01:06 PM
Not possible it was shot some place else and just the bones dumped there?

Of course that's possible. Seems a bit improbable though. Lots of both moose and mulie does in the area. Super fresh kills. Seems unlikely that anyone lazy enough to drop carcasses in the ditch is the kind of person that hunted in a different area and then dumped carcasses on a back road in 3-19.

And, it could be from someone legally allowed to hunt those animals. But my uneducated guess is that is not the case.

moosinaround
10-10-2023, 01:39 PM
In my experience with moose, little fellas like that moose, do not stick around with a rutting bull, to fight for cows! Just saying! moosin

Darksith
10-10-2023, 02:05 PM
What region? Probably shot by LEH holder or FN and they thought they missed is probably the correct reason.

Too young a moose to get killed in a fight, hes not fight ready and probably knows it.

Could be poacher I guess and it walked off so not an easy score, but I tend to believe that doesn't happen as often as we think, but I could be dead wrong, just the optimist in me likes to think people follow the rules.

Lots of green hunters out there so I suspect LEH holder and miss

TheObserver
10-10-2023, 04:13 PM
In my experience with moose, little fellas like that moose, do not stick around with a rutting bull, to fight for cows! Just saying! moosin

What region? Probably shot by LEH holder or FN and they thought they missed is probably the correct reason.

Too young a moose to get killed in a fight, hes not fight ready and probably knows it.

Could be poacher I guess and it walked off so not an easy score, but I tend to believe that doesn't happen as often as we think, but I could be dead wrong, just the optimist in me likes to think people follow the rules.

Lots of green hunters out there so I suspect LEH holder and miss

Yeah I think it seems more like a bullet hole. This was region 8

Deer_Slayer
10-10-2023, 09:08 PM
Where was this found? Must be no grizz around. Surprised it wasn't fed on more heavily. I'd be lookin over my shoulder approaching something like that.

Dour
10-10-2023, 10:12 PM
Go to the kootanys. Lots of 5x5 laying around dead. Ground count :/ It’s hard to say what happened there maybe it was a small round 243 or something and it bolted. Or a big bull kicked it’s ass for hanging around it’s mom still. It happens.

Walking Buffalo
10-11-2023, 01:56 PM
No question yearling bulls receive serious injuries from other bulls.
More often it will be a tine up the Butt, but neck or shoulder punctures occur too.

blackbart
10-12-2023, 08:35 PM
Hard to follow up on shots when the shots happen at night..... Legal apparently for some!

butthead
11-02-2023, 05:58 AM
how many point on that other side

TheObserver
11-02-2023, 06:08 AM
how many point on that other side

Not sure, I didn't check

FishandSticks
11-03-2023, 09:42 AM
Well it was shot, everything else is a guess . Interesting that there is Flagging tape on the tree behind it was there logging by it?

TheObserver
11-03-2023, 10:19 PM
Well it was shot, everything else is a guess . Interesting that there is Flagging tape on the tree behind it was there logging by it?

I found it at tree line in a slash

j270wsm
11-04-2023, 09:23 AM
It’s almost been a month since you found the moose…….go back and see what’s on the other side.

firebird
11-06-2023, 01:18 PM
I saw a bull flip its head (in a way like he was shaking off bugs) at another bull and he had a long tine off the paddle that gutted the 2nd bull. Like it was nothing. One that got punctured walked off with its guts pushing out

TheObserver
11-06-2023, 08:59 PM
It’s almost been a month since you found the moose…….go back and see what’s on the other side.

Okay you going to foot the gas bill? Haha kiddin, nothin up there for me until the Spring, I will be back there then and update this thread

TheObserver
11-06-2023, 09:00 PM
I saw a bull flip its head (in a way like he was shaking off bugs) at another bull and he had a long tine off the paddle that gutted the 2nd bull. Like it was nothing. One that got punctured walked off with its guts pushing out

Thatd be crazy to see!