PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic grouse yesr

ratherbefishin
10-03-2023, 07:38 AM
Never seen so many grouse as this year, not sure if this is a result of the long dry spring and summer .grouse on the roads every 100 yards

Lukebc86
10-03-2023, 08:26 AM
Yep been a fantastic year for Grouse where I've been this year.
Quite easy to hit a limit, and where i just came back from they we're all huge lol

ratherbefishin
10-03-2023, 09:05 AM
Happiness is a pocketful of 22 subsonics,great opportunity to get the kids out

elch jager
10-03-2023, 09:14 AM
Ditto. Moose early mornings and evenings with late morning grouse hunt for the dog...

He is getting excellent exposure to wild birds this year. Fine tuning his skills and I am improving my wing shooting.

Very enjoyable fall so far.

Gianni2507
10-07-2023, 09:27 PM
Happiness is a pocketful of 22 subsonics,great opportunity to get the kids out

I have the CCI Quiets and am amazed at how little sound they make, but I kind of had accuracy issues, not sure if it's the ammo or my old cooey just doesn't want to shoot straight anymore.. what's your experience with the subsonics?

horseman2
10-08-2023, 07:15 AM
Two comments:

Got two grouse and they were cooked on the BBQ. Toughest chew I have ever experienced!
were so tough that standing on the wings . . . the legs pulled off before the breast would break free. ended up skinning the breast out.

CCI Quiet need to be sighted in specifically for each rifle. They are not known for accuracy.
The powder charge is around 0.5 grains. At 50 yards they will print about three inches low versus stanard velocity

northof49
10-08-2023, 08:02 AM
Two comments:

Got two grouse and they were cooked on the BBQ. Toughest chew I have ever experienced!
were so tough that standing on the wings . . . the legs pulled off before the breast would break free. ended up skinning the breast out.

Just depends how you cook them. I always just slice into 1/2” thick pieces and fast fry in butter with slat and pepper. Always pretty tender and delicious that way. As for pulling the legs just grab further down right against the body and pull slow steady and shouldn’t have a problem.

ratherbefishin
10-11-2023, 07:25 AM
Sliced the breasts, dredged in shake and bake and sautéed very quickly in hot seasoned oil..absolutely delicious

ratherbefishin
10-12-2023, 07:32 AM
Saw a big covey of half grown birds, makes me wonder if this was a second hatch,which might account for the large numbers of grouse this year.We were hunting savana ,maybe the dry summer contributed to it

M1SF1T
10-12-2023, 09:22 AM
Walked on the Browns Main FSR near Mt. Washington yesterday evening, flushed up one bird, but didn't see anything else ..

Ron.C
10-12-2023, 09:29 AM
The couple times ive visited my island spot were same as always. A few birds, good sidebar trip if looking for deer/bear but not worth the drive just for birds.

Was in the EK last week and man, did I get spoiled for grouse. Had never seen so many birds. Took a few over the week for lunches and brought 5 home. But i was seeing dozens of birds a day. I was after elk so I left my dog at home but what a time she would of had!!!