PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail hunters

RackStar
10-01-2023, 08:18 AM
What are the die hard whitetail hunters doing in preparation for the upcoming season? I’ve always been more of a mule deer hunter and just shot any whitetail buck I crossed paths with on luck.

living in AB now it’s harder to obtain mule deer tags so I’m targeting whitetail deer now, hoping to dial in some decent bucks.

Are you guys making mock scrapes? Trail cam lines from spring summer?

curious on your tactics for the consistent whitetail killers on here, tree stands? Blinds? Still hunting?

I will be targeting bush bucks no farm deer , freezers full so I’ll be holding onto my tag for a nice mature buck or nothing.

all input/ opinions / tactics welcome, I caught the bug good last year after a harvesting a half decent buck, but I want to zone in on these dark heavy northern bush bucks of Alberta.

Thanks

Husky7mm
10-01-2023, 10:02 AM
What did ya shoot?

I am no hardcore whitetail hunter but shoot half decent bucks most years. Their activity goes up 5x the amount for all of late October into early December with the peak being mid November. It can Happen ANY time of day so don’t stop hunting mid day. I like tracking them when the snow flies or still hunting ridges. Pushing them works ok too if you have a small team. I have a remote area with some good bucks in it this year, the buck to doe ratio is very high there. I am hoping that they will come into the horns.

The real hard cores sit all day everyday on a good trail, usually at a pinch point or a route to feeding.

Honesty rolling around in a truck or on an atv can work too, they just get stupid and make mistakes.

RackStar
10-01-2023, 01:02 PM
Just a rag horn 3pt elk, didn’t take much pics, Trophy is the meat for me. might share during winter. Back to the grind to get that money. I nailed one of those magical mornings when they’re going ape shit on sept 28, chased a herd bull around for 3 hours , he kept his distance but kept bugling. I got close and challenged him and he came in hot at 50y but to much brush in the way, already missed a big 6pt once shooting through brush 3 years ago. 5 mins later a little rag horn got in the middle of us, 1, 2,3 yup legal bang flop. Big bull kept bugling , couldn’t turn down enough elk meat to supplement my family’s red meat needs with the ridiculous price of beef these days.

Back to work and hopefully have some time to get another decent buck. Got my last one on the ridge of the Smokey. Got a couple nice bucks in the same area this year. I have a hard time sitting myself, I like still hunting but not sure it’s effective as posting up.

lovemywinchester
10-01-2023, 03:34 PM
From my experience the hardest part about hunting WT in AB was lack of public land. Farmers fields had moose, elk, MD and WT feeding at hay bales as you drove by. Trying to get access to private land would be the best bet I would think.

Norwestalta
10-01-2023, 03:39 PM
Not a die hard deer hunter by any means but I'm patiently waiting for the rut.

Husky7mm
10-01-2023, 04:33 PM
10-4 that about right these days. Elk hunting is a lot of work. A full freeze with organic red meat is a fine trophy.

jan.wi97
10-01-2023, 05:03 PM
Talk to Dave (Ourea) here