PDA

View Full Version : Missing moose

kolofardos
09-29-2023, 08:41 AM
We just got back from our LEH hunt in 5-15C and were surprised by the lack of moose. Lots of miles on the truck and the boots and calling in areas that were good in the past. 1 cow moose sighted in 6 days of hard hunting and no bulls. Very little sign anywhere. Was there a bad winter there? Could be bear predation, but that area has always been thick with bears.

Drillbit
09-29-2023, 09:39 AM
Bears are eating most of the calves.

Wolves are getting the rest.

Haven't seen a calf in years now in region 5

jkraus
09-29-2023, 10:36 AM
Bears are eating most of the calves.

Wolves are getting the rest.

Haven't seen a calf in years now in region 5

Ya ya bears and wolves are causing the decline whatever you want to believe!

kolofardos
09-29-2023, 11:49 AM
Ya ya bears and wolves are causing the decline whatever you want to believe! That sounds like you don't believe it. What would you say the problem is?

huntcoop
09-29-2023, 12:53 PM
Stewards of the land overharvesting. Ask the Government to see the Compulsory Inspection data, oh right, the Stewards don't have to report.

kolofardos
09-29-2023, 01:07 PM
Stewards of the land overharvesting. Ask the Government to see the Compulsory Inspection data, oh right, the Stewards don't have to report.I've heard that they generally don't go into this area but stay toward the Chilcotin side

huntcoop
09-29-2023, 01:23 PM
I've heard that they generally don't go into this area but stay toward the Chilcotin side

Don't believe everything you hear.

Retiredguy
09-29-2023, 07:36 PM
I've heard that they generally don't go into this area but stay toward the Chilcotin side

Oh brother.....who ever told you that is full of it.

Bustercluck
09-29-2023, 08:03 PM
I’m running into the same problem in my regular area right now too. There’s a few places I always see moose sign and this year there’s zero. I picked up a few caribou and two black bears on my trail cams. I’ve never seen any caribou sign up there in the ten years I’ve been hunting the same area. About 3-4 years ago I started seeing more wolves in the area that moved down south from where they normally hung out, but I didn’t see any wolf sign this trip either. There was a fire slightly to the north this past summer, so I’m wondering if that had something to do with it. It was warm when I was up there last week, but I usually see tracks during the summer months too, so I dont know.

I’m heading back up in a few days and I’m going to keep travelling until I see some indication of a moose nearby and then setup camp.

Bustercluck
09-29-2023, 08:05 PM
As far as predators go. I think everything is cyclic and if there’s lots of food around than the animals(wolves/bears) will multiply until the food source dwindles and then the predators will decline and ungulates will repopulate.

I don’t mind hunting around wolves, that just means there’s food around.

Treed
09-29-2023, 11:32 PM
I have cams up the unit I hunt in region 3 and have a lot of boots on the ground time. At least 6 bulls within 3km of each other and a lot more cows. There are more moose here now than I’ve seen in a long time. Hunting success is a poor predictor of population. Dumb as they can seem, they can be crafty.

jamfarm
09-29-2023, 11:41 PM
PM incoming

MRP
09-30-2023, 07:20 AM
Moose numbers continue to go down in most areas, there is the odd place maybe they are holding their own and maybe going up a bit. I know there are those that the stars align and run into a number of them while others see nothing, I've been that guy on occasion. But wether you drive, quad or hike and you don't see poop that's not years old, sine of feeding, winter feeding, rubs, tracks that don't have grass or trees growing in them. Even if you don't see a moose these things have to be there thay can't hide or walk away, if these things are not there, moose are not there.

Getbent
09-30-2023, 02:50 PM
I have cams up the unit I hunt in region 3 and have a lot of boots on the ground time. At least 6 bulls within 3km of each other and a lot more cows. There are more moose here now than I’ve seen in a long time. Hunting success is a poor predictor of population. Dumb as they can seem, they can be crafty.
Agreed. I am seeing heaps of bulls and cows in my region 3 area. Watched them all summer and now into the fall.

Downtown
09-30-2023, 07:24 PM
No Wolf Tracks means no Moose and the few Cows which get away during the Winter have there Calves taken by Bears during Calving time.

Since it became mandatory to remove the Meat from a shot Black Bear, the hunting of Black Bears has slowed down considerably.

Nothing but nothing will rectify the situation until massive Predator control programs have been implemented a few years in a row but I know that is wishful thinking given the massive misguided attitudes and relentless misinformation by so called Environmentalists. Perhaps the only one which could move the Government on Predator control programs are the first Nations, they are the only one with a Stick.

Cheers and good luck on your Moose hunts !

Rotorwash
09-30-2023, 07:47 PM
Also maybe more people should be upset that we are spraying the shit out of the woods with glysophate.

That can't be good for any animals that eat it.

HappyJack
10-01-2023, 07:52 AM
Also maybe more people should be upset that we are spraying the shit out of the woods with glysophate.

That can't be good for any animals that eat it.

That stuff is pure poison!!

In our hunting area the moose were near water sources in higher elevations, where we hunted elk over a three week span and only saw one cow and calf moose other than that no moose or sign. And a first, we never heard a single wolf howl over the whole hunt, so apparently they moved along or got taken out at some time.

I've often wondered if the moose herds are migrating further south?

338edgehunter
10-03-2023, 05:22 AM
Same happens up here in fsj I know of at least 3 stewards that take 3-4 moose each every year they really need to enforce same rules for every one not 1 set for 1 group and another set for the rest.

HappyJack
10-03-2023, 06:44 AM
Same happens up here in fsj I know of at least 3 stewards that take 3-4 moose each every year they really need to enforce same rules for every one not 1 set for 1 group and another set for the rest.

Depends on what they are doing with 3-4 moose per year. I was in the supermarket in WL and the cashier said she got half a moose "courtesy of the Halfway FN", now I don't have an issue with hunting for their own FN community, but sending meat that far down south is a bit of a stretch don't you think? And I kind of agree with you, we should be able to hunt moose for our grandparents and extended family too. I'd shoot 3-4 moose and deer every season to keep everyone fed.

huntcoop
10-03-2023, 07:36 AM
Depends on what they are doing with 3-4 moose per year. I was in the supermarket in WL and the cashier said she got half a moose "courtesy of the Halfway FN", now I don't have an issue with hunting for their own FN community, but sending meat that far down south is a bit of a stretch don't you think? And I kind of agree with you, we should be able to hunt moose for our grandparents and extended family too. I'd shoot 3-4 moose and deer every season to keep everyone fed.

or shoot 1 like the rest of the licensed population and go to Save on Foods for the rest. The need for sustenance hunting in the 21st century in nonsense.

Bustercluck
10-03-2023, 07:43 AM
My partners just put this one down 10 mins ago. Looks like I have some work to do

https://images2.imgbox.com/a7/24/bjpPZpaz_o.jpeg (https://imgbox.com/bjpPZpaz)

bullish
10-03-2023, 08:29 AM
congrats decent bull for sure. Did they call him in? slash looks not too bad for the drag out.

HappyJack
10-03-2023, 08:36 AM
or shoot 1 like the rest of the licensed population and go to Save on Foods for the rest. The need for sustenance hunting in the 21st century in nonsense.

It may be nonsense but it's legal under the law here, some people would argue there is no need for hunting at all when you can afford to just go to Save on Foods like the majority of people?

Bustercluck
10-03-2023, 08:45 PM
congrats decent bull for sure. Did they call him in? slash looks not too bad for the drag out.
We were calling really close to there yesterday morning. The boys were on their way out this morning and he was standing on the side of the quad trail. So, kind of calling, but not really. Lol

We drove the side by side right up to him and loaded him in the back in four pieces.

It was a first moose for both of the guys who were hunting together so they were pretty stoked. The guy who shot and tagged it is a really new hunter and today was his first day ever moose hunting. He showed up in our camp last night and woke up and shot a moose before he finished his coffee.

Bustercluck
10-03-2023, 08:55 PM
https://images2.imgbox.com/03/ce/8pBwcl93_o.jpeg (https://imgbox.com/8pBwcl93)

kolofardos
10-03-2023, 10:09 PM
Nice!!!!!!