PDA

View Full Version : Light truck tires

Roboduck
09-24-2023, 04:39 PM
I’ve been running BFG AT KO2 for years and am on my 3rd set for my truck. They have never done me wrong but I feel like they may be wearing out relatively quickly 2-2.5 years of daily driving.
Truck is a 1 ton and sees mostly in town driving but I want the mountain/snowflake symbol to keep me legal when I need to reach family that’s in the interior year round.

I feel like I should just get another set of the same old but am oblivious to any better options out there.

Appreciate any opinion you have.

Son
09-24-2023, 04:42 PM
Toyo m55 !

sidney-hunter
09-24-2023, 04:43 PM
Goodyear Duratrac. Great in the snow.

Roboduck
09-24-2023, 04:58 PM

How are they for wear? I have heard they are fairly soft. I’m worried a 8000lb truck will destroy them the first summer.

Treed
09-24-2023, 05:04 PM
Toyo M-55 are super tough tires but terrible for winter highway driving. Maybe get a set of K02 for winter and run M-55 the rest of the year. My K02 seem to wear pretty fast too and I’m only running a tundra.

Sausage
09-24-2023, 05:07 PM
Mountain snowflake isnt required to be legal M&S is but i agree they do offer better traction . iI have been happy with Cooper made tires wear and traction on my one ton and SUV. https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/driving-and-cycling/traveller-information/seasonal/winter-driving/about-winter-tires
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/driving-and-cycling/traveller-information/seasonal/winter-driving
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/driving-and-cycling/traveller-information/seasonal/winter-driving/commercial

REMINGTON JIM
09-24-2023, 05:40 PM
Toyo open country at111 :-) rj

warnniklz
09-24-2023, 07:21 PM

And great in mud....

Trash on ice

sako79
09-24-2023, 07:42 PM
I hated the BFG Ko2s only lasted 45000km on m f150. I switched to Toyo CT and im at 115000km with 8/32 tread remaining

Brew
09-24-2023, 09:05 PM
The Toyo Open country’s are a great tire. I beat the piss out of mine in my work truck and they hold up real well. I have put 50,000km on mine this year. 1/4 of those Km’s are coastal bush roads. There’s still 60% tread on them. My treads are a bit chunked out from shotrock roads but I’m extremely happy with them. They are a quiet tire in my opinion as well

tri777
09-24-2023, 10:19 PM
The Toyo Open country’s are a great tire. I beat the piss out of mine in my work truck and they hold up real well. I have put 50,000km on mine this year. 1/4 of those Km’s are coastal bush roads. There’s still 60% tread on them. My treads are a bit chunked out from shotrock roads but I’m extremely happy with them. They are a quiet tire in my opinion as well
^^This!!
These are the 'only' tires that go on my chevy. Not cheap @$1800 for 4, but imo well worth it.

Onchy
09-25-2023, 05:34 AM
I switched from KO 2’s to Falken AT3’s last year. Excellent so far, especially in snow on the FSR. Much better than the KO’s.

KBC
09-25-2023, 05:55 AM
The duratracs are great traction-wise but I think too soft for wear. I’ve had many sets on a few 4x4s but they wear fast. I was going to switch to something else on my half ton this past spring but got a great deal on an almost new set that came with a brand new spare so I guess next set I only have to buy 3 next time. After that I will likely switch to something that lasts longer.

Ron.C
09-25-2023, 06:28 AM
Earlier in the year I switched from KO2's to Toyo Open Country AT3. Very happy with them so far. Been in all types of conditions except deep snow. Very happy with them so far, we'll see how they wear.

dodge456
09-25-2023, 07:04 AM
Another vote for the Toyo Open Country. I just replaced a set of the CT on my 3500 Cummins, 95k on the set. This time around I went with the AT3, I've only got about 15k on these so far but so far so good. I wasn't especially impressed with the wet traction of the CT which is why I went to the AT3 which definitely seems to be a big step up in that department. I don't expect to get the same treadlife with these but by the reviews I've seen they still hold up well.

fester
09-25-2023, 07:09 AM
I switched from KO 2’s to Falken AT3’s last year. Excellent so far, especially in snow on the FSR. Much better than the KO’s.

I did the same last year and am very happy with the AT3's. The KO2's did seem to wear quickly and I was not overly impressed. Went with the AT3's and really like them. This is on a Tundra

HappyJack
09-25-2023, 07:44 AM
My Nokian tires are wearing very well, and a great year round tire.

j270wsm
09-25-2023, 09:17 PM
My wife’s truck( 1/2ton Chevy ) has 96,000km on open country at II’s. Very likely that she could get another 20-25,000km out of them.

IslandWanderer
09-25-2023, 09:25 PM

I heard they can have sidewall damage issues.

TheObserver
09-25-2023, 11:12 PM
My duratracs have worn very fast, very fast!! Will not be buying another set. Also got a slit in the sidewall on 1 tire, didn't penetrate into wire but yeah there are way better tires.

That being said off road traction is pretty good but not worth the wear rate

I beat the right sh!+ out of these tires though every weekend

browningboy
09-26-2023, 05:14 AM
I have the Toyo RT’s in 37” on my diesel with 85,000 kms and still 15% left, just either getting new tires or new truck, put them on when new as well, fantastic tire

swampthing
09-26-2023, 07:12 AM
I buy tires for my fleet trucks which do mainly highway but plenty of off road utility right of way running. I have tried them all. My latest favorite is the mickey thompson baja boss at. This tire has been proving itself as being very well rounded as far as wear, highway noise, off road ability, snow and being half decent on the ice. Whatever tire you choose, getting them siped makes a great difference in both increased longevity and almost doubles traction! They are pricey though!

Darksith
09-26-2023, 08:19 AM
I’ve been running BFG AT KO2 for years and am on my 3rd set for my truck. They have never done me wrong but I feel like they may be wearing out relatively quickly 2-2.5 years of daily driving.
Truck is a 1 ton and sees mostly in town driving but I want the mountain/snowflake symbol to keep me legal when I need to reach family that’s in the interior year round.

I feel like I should just get another set of the same old but am oblivious to any better options out there.

Appreciate any opinion you have.

Im pretty sure the KO2 have the snowflake no?

Ive tried a few different tires on my 1 ton...if you can get 2.5 years on a tire thats a daily driver your doing about as good as you will get. Anything else thats softer you are gonna start replacing once a year. Im pretty sure my last set was the KO2 and I live in the interior and was legal.

You simply can't compare any tire running on a 1/2 ton to a 1 ton. They simply eat tires, 2.5 years is great. I have a fleet of trucks trust me I know.

REMINGTON JIM
09-26-2023, 08:56 AM
Im pretty sure the KO2 have the snowflake no?

Ive tried a few different tires on my 1 ton...if you can get 2.5 years on a tire thats a daily driver your doing about as good as you will get. Anything else thats softer you are gonna start replacing once a year. Im pretty sure my last set was the KO2 and I live in the interior and was legal.

You simply can't compare any tire running on a 1/2 ton to a 1 ton. They simply eat tires, 2.5 years is great. I have a fleet of trucks trust me I know.

yes They are !

Correct and totally Agree with you ! 3/4-1 ton trucks EAT tires compared to 1/2 tons and mid sized trucks . My Super Duty Diesel is hard on its tires especially the rears - So much torque -power they spin very easy even on dry pavement . All my 1/2 tons would get twice the mileage out of the same type tires . RJ

SMH1990
09-26-2023, 10:06 AM
Cooper discoverer AT3 4S or the discoverer rugged trek. Amazing tires and very durable.

fishhunt
09-27-2023, 10:04 PM
Nokian Rotiiva. I've had on a few trucks. A few other people I know have them as well. Everyone loves them. I've usually had Goodyears on trucks when I buy them. They either wear out fast or have issues (rock cut one open). Someone once said..Goodyears are Good for a Year!

Bullreaper
09-27-2023, 10:17 PM
Been running Cooper AT3 xlt on my Duramax. Load range F, so they are durable. Awesome all round tire, snow, gravel, quiet on pavement and wear evenly. The toy hauler weighs just over 16k lbs, tires have held up great pulling all that weight around. I usually cook off rears quick, but these seem to be lasting way better than others I’ve tried. Had duratracs, great traction out of them, but they are the only load range E tire I’ve ever blown a sidewall out on, and it happened twice, so never again.

drum_boy101
09-28-2023, 07:04 AM
Trying some Sumitomo Encounter AT's on my 3500 dually. Switching from KO2's which lasted about 2 years. Wish me luck.

Squamch
09-28-2023, 12:13 PM
On my second set of hankooks dynapro mt on my 8400lb f350. Last ones went about 65000km, hoping these do close to the same.

I had m55s, they were great...until the day they weren't. It was like a light switch going from great traction to crap.

I don't run all terrains anymore, the performance/longevity tradeoff is worth it for me.

savage10
09-28-2023, 02:35 PM
Another vote for falken wildpeak at3w. I beat the shit out of mine and they perform amazingly. 35k kms on them so far.

igojuone
09-28-2023, 05:25 PM
How are they for wear? I have heard they are fairly soft. I’m worried a 8000lb truck will destroy them the first summer.

I've been running them on a 95 Suburban packed with tools so probably hitting the scales a little of 5000 maybe 5500 with a full 160 litres in the tank. Daily driver the last 3 years and tires were put on about 6 years ago. Not a ton of driving first 3 years other than back and forth from the Kamloops to FSJ a few times a year.

browningboy
09-28-2023, 07:01 PM
Said it before, I ton F350, 90,000 kms and still 15% left, enough said… Toyo RT..strongest tire for sure, haven’t seen one post that matches on 1 ton

TyTy
09-28-2023, 07:20 PM
my experiences,

Toyo open country AT are great. The CT is a better for wear on gravel but not as great in snow.

Duratracs wear quickly.

BF seems to have harder rubber compounds. Tough tire but noisy on pavement and not as good as others in snow.

ACE
09-28-2023, 07:23 PM
I have the Toyo RT’s in 37” on my diesel with 85,000 kms and still 15% left, just either getting new tires or new truck, put them on when new as well, fantastic tire

Did you ever do the calculation to find out what your 'new' gear ratio is with those 37's ?

srthomas75
09-28-2023, 09:03 PM
I have toyo 35" CT's on my crewcab diesel f350. installed september 15, 2017 They are due for replacement for sure but have about 95-100k on them [ have to look at records to be sure ] I've been happy with them. I chose these over the RT's because they have the mountain/snowflake stamp. I'm considering the falken wildpeak as the new set depending on what I can source etc... I'd buy these again without hesitation. The set before these was toyo AT 3 extreme and they lasted 2-3 years. same truck, same driving habits.

I just looked at my notes. Current Toyo CT’s are at 114884 kms. I couldn’t find the install date for the AT3’s but I’d guess that they lasted 50-60km.

BigBanger
09-29-2023, 12:21 AM
I have toyo AT3s on my 4Runner and I’m really impressed with them.

browningboy
09-29-2023, 05:09 AM
Did you ever do the calculation to find out what your 'new' gear ratio is with those 37's ?

Mikeage would be 7% higher roughly, I’m stating what’s on the odometer, and they are R/T not A/T just to be clear.

Rieber
09-29-2023, 05:16 AM
I really like my Falken Wildpeak AT3 for year round daily driving. Proven to me to be the best tire on several trucks. Next set will be Wildpeak again.

ACE
09-29-2023, 10:32 AM
Mileage would be 7% higher roughly, I’m stating what’s on the odometer, and they are R/T not A/T just to be clear.

Try this using the info from your door sticker or options list.

www.tiresize.com/gear-ratio-calculator/

browningboy
09-29-2023, 11:32 AM
Try this using the info from your door sticker or options list.

www.tiresize.com/gear-ratio-calculator/ (http://www.tiresize.com/gear-ratio-calculator/)

Thanks I'll check it out!

REMINGTON JIM
10-21-2023, 05:40 PM
https://tire.yokohama.ca/tires/geolandar-a-t-xd

Real Nice looking New Tire :) RJ

john-brennan
10-21-2023, 06:19 PM
Cooper discoverer AT3 4S or the discoverer rugged trek. Amazing tires and very durable.

X2 they are great tires

Redthies
10-21-2023, 09:05 PM
https://tire.yokohama.ca/tires/geolandar-a-t-xd

Real Nice looking New Tire :) RJ

My hunting partner just put a set of these on his Tundra (35-12.50s). They are very similar in tread design to the Duratracs, but my god, are they NOISY in the pavement!! I run Toyo MTs, and they are about 25% of the noise of the new Yokos.

I have Toyo AT 2Xs on the Tundra, and Falken AT3s on the Sequoia. The Falkens came on it, and I would not have chosen them, but they wear really well, are quiet on pavement, and not terrible offroad.

Toyo has a new tire coming as well called the RT Trail. They look great!

https://www.toyotires.com/rttrail

Redthies
10-21-2023, 09:08 PM
X2 they are great tires

Yes, but you want the AT3 XLT if you are putting them on a truck or SUV. Coopers ST Maxx are a great tire too.

DStewart
10-23-2023, 07:40 AM
We have run KO2’s on all of our work trucks. As mentioned, you can not compare anybody’s experiences between 1/2 ton and 1ton trucks. We average 80,000 on our 1/2ton pickups, and closer to 60,000 on my 1 ton. I do notice them lose traction before measuring “worn”.

The duratracs are heavy, and have seen a noticeable decrease in fuel mileage compared to the KO2.

A “HD” version of the KO2 is supposed to become available in Canada (down in sates already), but is simply a KO2 with larger lugs, decreasing wear but also decreasing traction.

I will likely be looking into the cooper and/or Toyo for my next set.

Pacemaker
10-23-2023, 07:47 AM
Anyone have any experience with the Nokias Hakapelitta LT3’s on an F350 1 ton. I am looking at a set of factory studded for highway driving this winter. I have Toyo M55’s for the rest of the year…. Thanks

MRP
10-23-2023, 09:17 AM
Anyone have any experience with the Nokias Hakapelitta LT3’s on an F350 1 ton. I am looking at a set of factory studded for highway driving this winter. I have Toyo M55’s for the rest of the year…. Thanks

How much highway driving are you gonna be doing and at what speed? Your studs will disappear pretty fast if you’re going very far at 100k one winter maybe 2.

madcalfe
10-23-2023, 09:24 AM
I run the 37" Falken wildpeaks and had them studded. I'm on the 4th winter with them and there around 60% tread.
This is on a 2019 1 ton Duramax. I work in Alberta and live in PG so they've seen a lot of km's. truck has 165,000km currently
Id Highly recommend them for a bigger winter tire if your looking at a all terrain.
I don't know how they hold up in summer months though as they only get put on in October and taken off around April.

Pacemaker
10-23-2023, 10:00 AM
How much highway driving are you gonna be doing and at what speed? Your studs will disappear pretty fast if you’re going very far at 100k one winter maybe 2.

I’m not too concerned about how long the tires will last. What I am concerned with is their traction on snow and ice that I am likely to encounter on the road. The Toyo M55’s that I run for the rest of the year are great tires for most other purposes, but are lousy on the highway in the winter.

KodiakHntr
10-23-2023, 12:26 PM
I’ve worn out about 4 sets of Haka’s and as far as ice traction goes they are pretty good. They are soft though, and wear fast.

I’m running Venom Ice Hunters this year and last, and they still look as good as the day they went on the truck last fall. And they have been hands down the best winter tire I have ever used. By a very big margin. I don’t think I even engaged 4wd more than 3 times last winter.

Greenthumbed
10-23-2023, 07:16 PM
Trying some Sumitomo Encounter AT's on my 3500 dually. Switching from KO2's which lasted about 2 years. Wish me luck.
I just moved from the KO2’s to Sumitomo Encounter ATs as well. This is on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I liked the KO2, but I moved up to 31’s from 235/75R15. I couldn’t get the KO2s in 31’s. The Sumitomos were a far bit cheaper.

oddsix
02-09-2024, 07:02 AM
Anyone running the Wildpeak at3w year round on a 1 ton? Any complaints? Long term review?

Also has anyone ordered from Blackcircles? Are they legit?

Thanks

madcalfe
02-09-2024, 08:03 AM
Anyone running the Wildpeak at3w year round on a 1 ton? Any complaints? Long term review?

Thanks

well through winter #5 almost with 37" wildpeaks at3 on 1ton duramax. I'll probably use them all summer and buy a new pair come fall cause my nitto trails grapplers are pooched.
I ordered mine through 1010tires.com. There on sale right now 100$ off per tire

Buck
02-09-2024, 08:18 AM
Sumitomo Encounter A/T on my Dodge 1ton by far the best tire I have run on my truck . Wearing way better than all the other big name brands I’ve had before . Quiet on highway no complaints

Tyler660
02-09-2024, 09:11 AM
Cooper st max have them in 35s on my 1 ton ram just over 50k on them running them through the summer and still have close to 50% best tire I’ve ever had.

bcsteve
02-09-2024, 06:57 PM

Thanks
They just came out with the Wildpeak AT4W. Very similar thread with a few improvements.

notyalc
03-01-2024, 11:29 AM
I have a set of 37” Falken wildpeak at3s on my ‘17 Ram 3500 and they have been by far the best tires I’ve ever had. I drive up north quite a bit in the winter time and they have been awesome in the snow and slushy crap. I’m just looking to replace them with the new a/tw4s now and have just about 150,000kms on these tires, I could probably get by until the summer but they are pretty beat up and worn unevenly since my alignment was off.

Opinionated Ol Phart
03-02-2024, 06:11 PM
Lol !, ,,,,,,,,,,

Redthies
03-03-2024, 08:07 AM
I’m running the Falken AT3 on my Sequoia and feel “meh” about them. If anyone wants a 90% set in 275/70-18, hit me up. It might be a weight of vehicle thing? They ARE quiet and seem to wear like iron, but wife likes another brand, so I’ll happily sell these Falken things…

spreerider
03-03-2024, 10:22 AM
toyo open countries i get over 5 years of daily driving and lots of hunting out of them and they are decent in the snow and ice still.

kolofardos
03-03-2024, 10:41 AM

Thanks
I've been running them on an F250 for 2 years now, to replace Dura Tracs. They were great when new, quieter and better ride than the Dura Tracs, while still having excellent traction in the mud and snow. Now that they're about half worn they suck in the rain and are much louder. I've dealt with Black Circles and they are legit.

Squamch
03-04-2024, 07:17 AM
toyo open countries i get over 5 years of daily driving and lots of hunting out of them and they are decent in the snow and ice still.

Holy smokes! What kind of mileage is that, and on what kind of truck?!?!

I get 60,000 out of a set of tires on my 01 f350. Doesn't seem to really matter what they are. M55, Yokohama no terrains, hankook mts...60,000 and they're roached.

longwalk
03-04-2024, 09:53 AM
Don’t really want to say this out loud but….I recently put on a new set of E rated Certified Ridgetrek tires from Canadian Tire on my tundra. They are replacing a set of LT rated Michelin defenders. Truck is only used for part of the year and mostly in the bush for firewood and the price was right at $1100 out the door and I did my own mounting. They have a pretty chunky, aggressive tread and have the three peak snowflake rating.time will tell.
I have ran the Ko2’s, not that impressed with them, Yokohama Geolanders , I really liked and the Michelins, which were a long wearing tire on that truck and I liked. The truck is used mainly for hauling and towing but the prices for LT rated tires is crazy now.