PDA

View Full Version : Give a report on your 2023 Grouse season!

ekul246
09-19-2023, 10:09 AM
Thought I’d see what everyone’s assessment is for the grouse numbers this year.
Last year in R7 on our moose hunt we were seeing so many we stopped shooting them. Ridiculous numbers. It was fantastic.
Considering taking my little ones out in R2 to do some grouse hunting but I’ve rarely seen grouse in past years up places like East Harrison and Stave.
What are the numbers looking like here in 2 and elsewhere?

Rayne
09-19-2023, 10:26 AM
My grouse spot in region 2 was empty this year. But seen lots in 3

Harvest the Land
09-19-2023, 10:28 AM
Hunted 3-13, 3-19 and 3-30 so far this September and I've seen more grouse this year than I recall seeing in recent memory (lots more.snowshoe hare too). Haven't hunted reg 2 yet so don't know if the numbers are up there as well

mauser
09-19-2023, 10:49 AM
Hunted 3-13, 3-19 and 3-30 so far this September and I've seen more grouse this year than I recall seeing in recent memory (lots more.snowshoe hare too). Haven't hunted reg 2 yet so don't know if the numbers are up there as well

This is what i noticed as well through out region 3. Grouse and snowshoe hare are doing good.

Bernie O
09-19-2023, 11:10 AM
Reguon 8 24. Stopped shooting when we had enough for dinner. 4 people x3 each. this was before lunch. They are quite small this year.

caddisguy
09-19-2023, 11:20 AM
Seems like a really good year. Even better than last year which was also very good.

We saw about 20 on our drive to our hunting spot on Friday. Some were just too tempted so I had to stop a few times. Same deal on the way out on Sunday. Saw around 20 and figured might as well take a couple more.

As for East Harrison, they're around. You'll find them in pockets. I usually see them on some of those spur roads around 40km in (just guessing, it's been a while)

https://i.imgur.com/LaWYS5L.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/p1qnxuS.jpg

ekul246
09-19-2023, 12:03 PM
Seems like a really good year. Even better than last year which was also very good.

We saw about 20 on our drive to our hunting spot on Friday. Some were just too tempted so I had to stop a few times. Same deal on the way out on Sunday. Saw around 20 and figured might as well take a couple more.

As for East Harrison, they're around. You'll find them in pockets. I usually see them on some of those spur roads around 40km in (just guessing, it's been a while)

https://i.imgur.com/LaWYS5L.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/p1qnxuS.jpg
Looking good Caddis!

decker9
09-19-2023, 01:18 PM
This is by that the best year Iv ever seen locally (6-4), lots of second hatch ruff’s, haven’t noticed any second hatch spruce grouse though. My girls been ready since age 5, this year she’s finally 10. Was a pretty proud dad moment when she eyeballed her first spruce with a handed down old Brno grandpa give her. We took 4 home for dinner, soaked the couple spruce grouse in milk a couple hours then made strips. Think tomorrow we’ll go find dinner again.

https://i.postimg.cc/63hvwzd7/IMG-1572.jpg (https://postimg.cc/KkRzDPpF)

lovemywinchester
09-19-2023, 02:28 PM
2 drives and 10 grouse down with lots more passed on or they took off! Reg 3 north of Kammy. Good eats

Everett
09-19-2023, 02:48 PM
Epic amounts in my area in region 4

RKNN
09-19-2023, 04:12 PM
Probably see 10-30/day while out working in region 5. Took 1 ruffie and 6 spruce the other day on the drive back from work. It’s a great bird season!

caddisguy
09-19-2023, 04:24 PM
Probably see 10-30/day while out working in region 5. Took 1 ruffie and 6 spruce the other day on the drive back from work. It’s a great bird season!

Nicely done! Spruce are my absolute favourite.

Getbent
09-19-2023, 04:38 PM
Lots that I have seen and taken so far, mostly smaller second clutch of spruce, tender and mostly still white or creamy. A couple of darker meat birds as well.
Hares are doing well also.

SMH1990
09-19-2023, 05:44 PM
Region 7-a hard pressed to find a fsr without them . Lots of coveys of 3-6 birds at a time.

Bigdoggdon
09-19-2023, 06:05 PM
Got quite a few so far. Labour day weekend I limited on both the Saturday and the Monday. Haven't come home with less than 3 any time I've been out so far, even if it's just for an hour or 2.

kolofardos
09-19-2023, 06:14 PM
Looks like one of the best years in recent memory in region 3.

Redthies
09-19-2023, 10:05 PM
I’m in 8-15. My dogs put up a group of 14 one day and then a week later 12 in the same spot. Must have been a union meeting?

Of course the day they opened, none to be found. We have since found a good amount. Very tasty this year!

jac
09-20-2023, 06:00 AM
Above average in region 8!

HarryToolips
09-20-2023, 03:09 PM
Lots where I was hunting in R4, and where I am.in the North of R3 there's a tonne this year- dry spring created some good hatches and survival ..

dino
09-20-2023, 03:47 PM
I carry a little badger with me while deer hunting and luv it. I use the 500fps subsonics. Quieter than a pellet gun .
Lots of grouse this year.

Retiredguy
09-20-2023, 04:10 PM
Live in 6-4. Lots of grouse this year. Have not bothered to shoot any yet, but maybe a bit later in the season I will. Maybe. :)

boilerroom
09-20-2023, 09:40 PM
strangely wasn't seeing any in late July early August in a new area of Region 8 for me. Went hare hunting first week of Sept and had to stop the car to not run the Franklins over there were so many.

Jereky
09-20-2023, 11:13 PM
Never seen as many grouse as I have this year so far.

mastercaster
09-21-2023, 08:07 AM
A dry spring = lots of grouse! Last year it was such a wet spring in R 3 and 8 that numbers were down. The year before that we had a dry spring and it was the best year for grouse I had ever seen! Counted 103 birds the first day out.As mentioned, lots of birds this year. So far we've hunted a half dozen days either in R 3 or 8 and have shot a grand total of 66 birds with my 20 ga. O/U. Drove by countless others!Had a young hunter out last weekend in R 8 and he shot his first mulie buck and then followed it up with a limit of grouse,,,shot a second limit the next day!https://i.imgur.com/osF94v6.jpg

B-rad
09-21-2023, 08:32 AM
yup,,,another great year for birds,,,,fairly dry May-June,,,,,blue grouse populations exploded this year in reagion 3,,,great numbers of ruffies,,,,and spruce numbers well up in areas i havent seen em in few years,,,,,,last year was an average---too below average,,,lots of rain in June,,,,2021 seaon was fairly close to what this year looks like,,,,but once again depends on region,,,,im only talking about region 3,,,,,i hope everyone limits their harvest,,and not harvest their limit,,try not to shoot whole family flocks out,,we need some birds for broods next year,,,happy huntin all,,,,hope all have a great seaon,,,,, B-rad

Bullreaper
09-21-2023, 08:46 AM
4-23 has been a crazy good year. Grouse everywhere, not just average sized either, these are Boone and Crockett chickens.

Getbent
09-21-2023, 11:58 AM
yup,,,another great year for birds,,,,fairly dry May-June,,,,,blue grouse populations exploded this year in reagion 3,,,great numbers of ruffies,,,,and spruce numbers well up in areas i havent seen em in few years,,,,,,last year was an average---too below average,,,lots of rain in June,,,,2021 seaon was fairly close to what this year looks like,,,,but once again depends on region,,,,im only talking about region 3,,,,,i hope everyone limits their harvest,,and not harvest their limit,,try not to shoot whole family flocks out,,we need some birds for broods next year,,,happy huntin all,,,,hope all have a great seaon,,,,, B-rad
Agree with this �� I’ve taught my son to never take all the birds in a covey. Worst thing you can do.

mastercaster
09-21-2023, 01:23 PM
Agree with this �� I’ve taught my son to never take all the birds in a covey. Worst thing you can do.The thing is if it's a relatively heavily hunted area it's bound to happen. Every time a hunter finds one or two birds to shoot at and likely kill he is shooting at what is left of a family grouping. There have been times I've thought between myself and others that we have completely decimated an area yet there they are the following year again in huge numbers.

kevingm1987
09-21-2023, 01:53 PM
The thing is if it's a relatively heavily hunted area it's bound to happen. Every time a hunter finds one or two birds to shoot at and likely kill he is shooting at what is left of a family grouping. There have been times I've thought between myself and others that we have completely decimated an area yet there they are the following year again in huge numbers.

Proven studies on grouse have said that hunting them doesn't even begin to make a dent on the population. Same studies say, anything hanging out on or near the road has been run out of the woods due to overcrowding.

Getbent
09-21-2023, 03:11 PM
The thing is if it's a relatively heavily hunted area it's bound to happen. Every time a hunter finds one or two birds to shoot at and likely kill he is shooting at what is left of a family grouping. There have been times I've thought between myself and others that we have completely decimated an area yet there they are the following year again in huge numbers.
Oh I agree with that, what I am saying though is when we roll up on a whole covey and we can take them all ( within our limits of course), we just don’t.

Retiredguy
09-21-2023, 04:37 PM
Best way to ensure you do not kill them all is to only shoot them on the wing. I like to walk the areas I know where there are a bunch of birds and have at them when they flush. Much more fun than murdering them on the ground. :) ;)

N¡ck
09-21-2023, 06:52 PM
I agree. Shooting them on the road should just be for kids.

Arctic Lake
09-22-2023, 08:05 AM
Yes to this
I have heard to not take all from a group
Arctic Lake
Best way to ensure you do not kill them all is to only shoot them on the wing. I like to walk the areas I know where there are a bunch of birds and have at them when they flush. Much more fun than murdering them on the ground. :) ;)

Arctic Lake
09-22-2023, 08:12 AM
I believe when you see grouse on the road they are trying to get to the other side !
Seriously though I think they need sand grit to aid in digestion
Arctic Lake
Proven studies on grouse have said that hunting them doesn't even begin to make a dent on the population. Same studies say, anything hanging out on or near the road has been run out of the woods due to overcrowding.

Arctic Lake
09-22-2023, 08:13 AM
How is region 7 for grouse this year ?
Arctic Lake

kevingm1987
09-22-2023, 09:13 AM
I believe when you see grouse on the road they are trying to get to the other side !
Seriously though I think they need sand grit to aid in digestion
Arctic Lake

What about the grouse that are 1,2,5,20,100km away from the closest road? There is rock, sand, grit, etc everywhere in this province.

A study from 2014 showed appx 5,000,000 ruffed grouse spread across BC. Hunters take on average between 60,000-125,000 a year or appx 1-2.5% of the available population. AKA the population living on or close to the roads.

Ubertuber
09-22-2023, 09:21 AM
I carry a little badger with me while deer hunting and luv it. I use the 500fps subsonics. Quieter than a pellet gun .
Lots of grouse this year.
I use a little badger and shoot subsonics as well. Great setup to carry while hunting big game.
Nice to see everyone is bagging grouse.

Retiredguy
09-22-2023, 03:37 PM
How is region 7 for grouse this year ?
Arctic Lake

Well it is a huge area, but the parts of Reg. 7 that I have been in so far this fall, have had lots of birds. In the last few weeks I have been east and west of PG and up in the Ft. Nelson area.

kevingm1987
09-22-2023, 04:39 PM
Well it is a huge area, but the parts of Reg. 7 that I have been in so far this fall, have had lots of birds. In the last few weeks I have been east and west of PG and up in the Ft. Nelson area.

Nice to be retired eh, retiredguy?

Retiredguy
09-22-2023, 04:48 PM
Nice to be retired eh, retiredguy?

Yes it is, but the price of fuel sucks. :)

Arctic Lake
09-22-2023, 04:54 PM
Thanks Retiredguy
Arctic LakeMaybe I should have been more specific 7-25

caddisguy
09-24-2023, 05:04 PM
Saw 25 or so over the weekend but only 3 gave me a chances (and not easy ones) to shoot.

I don't buy into the whole deal about not shooting ground birds. In most or Region 2 and some of Region 3, they're pretty skittish. More times than not, you don't even come close to getting a shot off before they've run into the thick stuff, deeked left and fly onto the next time zone. Can't think of time I've got to shoot at more than 1 grouse in a covey. The rest don't hang around in my neck of the woods.

I have hunted quite a bit in Region 5 though and yeah that's a whole different ball game. The skittish ones seem few and far between. On average they act more like street pigeons in downtown Vancouver and they don't even flinch while the bird you shot right next to them is twitching. I could see how "wing only" or "dont shoot the whole covey" could apply to make it more sporty or as a feel-good thing, but I doubt that it makes much difference in population.

B-rad
09-24-2023, 05:40 PM
Saw 25 or so over the weekend but only 3 gave me a chances (and not easy ones) to shoot.

I don't buy into the whole deal about not shooting ground birds. In most or Region 2 and some of Region 3, they're pretty skittish. More times than not, you don't even come close to getting a shot off before they've run into the thick stuff, deeked left and fly onto the next time zone. Can't think of time I've got to shoot at more than 1 grouse in a covey. The rest don't hang around in my neck of the woods.

I have hunted quite a bit in Region 5 though and yeah that's a whole different ball game. The skittish ones seem few and far between. On average they act more like street pigeons in downtown Vancouver and they don't even flinch while the bird you shot right next to them is twitching. I could see how "wing only" or "dont shoot the whole covey" could apply to make it more sporty or as a feel-good thing, but I doubt that it makes much difference in population. i do agree with you on that,,,,the closer you get to the mainland the more challenging it is,,,grouse are not dumb birds,,,,,once bitten twice shy,,,,im blessed with hunting around Kamloops,,,and its a 50/50 shoot on the birds,,,,,half fly/run at 50-60 yards and half sit there for a minute at 15-20 yards (usually 1st year birds),,,,the farther north you go,,,you can literally throw rocks at them,,,,,last year i took a few with sling shot around Kamloops very close to opening day,,,2 weeks later,,,,,had to dump that idea,,,and even leave .22 at home,,,,,was bound by a total 30-50 yard 12 gauge hunt,,,with a fixed full choke

TheObserver
09-24-2023, 11:30 PM
They are everywhere, letting me get real close too. Last year was really good as well.

Harvest the Land
09-25-2023, 09:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=W0KyKL-fxsg

moosinaround
09-25-2023, 09:40 AM
12 confirmed kills in the last 2 days! My daughter in law got her core this summer, and now has 2 kills under her belt! Proficient head shots with the 10/22!!! I myself have knocked notched another 5, and my son the rest! Mostly ruffed grouse, with a few spruce mixed in! moosin

sdpy1
09-26-2023, 08:45 AM
Lots of birds in my honey hole spots in region 8, but there always have been since most folks are only going after deer or moose. Saw more than 20 in a half kilometer stretch of road, and a dozen more in the surrounding area. Seems like they were sticking to lower elevations than normal and also covying up pretty early in the year. Lynx and coyotes seem to be enjoying the easy snacks too as they have made a big reappearance with the snowshoe hair cycle.

FishandSticks
11-28-2023, 11:20 AM
Grouse 16 - Me 4

Got out a few times, Reg 3 and 8, did not start till late Nov. For the most part the ones I found were very skitterish. Was only able to get 7 shots away they rest made a bee line for the bush before I could get sited in.