PDA

View Full Version : Called in first coyote

Grandbois
12-10-2007, 08:27 PM
a bit of a story but not much, my friend and i were out trying to find some whiteys to fill our tags on the last day when we seen this guy a long ways off on the back edge of a farmers field, kept driving down the road and the farmers land ended about a hundred yards ahead and the road took a turn in the general direction, so we figured we would try to see if we could call him in, walked into the forest set up about 30 yrds apart and i let loose for about a minute on the distress call and we waited about 3 mins when i seen him about 100 yrds away running in the trees so i let loose again for about 15 secs and he turned and ran right at us and stopped about 30 yards away, the rest is history. man what a rush, im hooked.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff59/egrandbois/DSC05338.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff59/egrandbois/DSC05339.jpg

Mr. Dean
12-10-2007, 08:34 PM
What were you using as a call?

(I'm studying up on preds...)

bruin
12-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Good lookin yote. What did you hit him with, looks like he's been gutted?

Grandbois
12-10-2007, 08:40 PM
it was an old p.s olt fox coyote call of my dads, i tried it a couple times before but always after the dog had seen me, to try to get them to come back, those guys took off lol, it sounds an awful lot like a rabbit in distress, but there was no rabbit sign where we were hunting this afternoon

3kills
12-10-2007, 08:40 PM
thats awesome i really wanna get out and do some yote huntin i have tons of areas i think would produce nicely just never seem to have the time to get out there.. maybe this year...

Derek_Erickson
12-10-2007, 08:42 PM
I soon will do this aswell, awesome going man, it really does look like you spanked him with a cannon!

Will
Excellent ! Calling is really addicting.....almost drug like:shock:

Congrats :smile:

Grandbois
taken with .308, blew a huge hole in him, so i finished off the gutting before putting him in the back of the truck, planning on finishing the skinning probably tomorrow mornin, never have a smelled a smell so rank as coyote guts, almost made me puke

Mr. Dean
12-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Let us know how he tastes.

C'grats.

boonerbuck
12-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Good for you!!

Yeah, it really is easy to get hooked and it never seems to get boring during a long winter filling the gaps between big game seasons.

If you like to hunt, I don't see why people don't give it a try?:cool:

Archer
12-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Congrats on a first. In the first pic it looks like a pretty big yote. On a side note, I was out yesterday trying for an archery coyote, and on my first set called in a pack of five, but couldn't get a shot. Later in the day, I found a freshly-killed foal that had been dragged down by what I'm guessing was another pack of four or five yotes. I was surprised that they had the balls to go for a 120+ lb animal, but judging from the ripped out throat, and the missing ham, they took it from either end. A sight like that sure makes you see why ranchers hate them. :mad: Once again, congrats on yours.

LeverActionJunkie
12-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Way to go Grandbois. I too am gonna try an pop my yote callin cherry this year. I've shot em before but never called em in. Didn't manage to connect on my whitey so now it's go time on song dogs.

Gunner
12-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Hy Foxpro arrives tomorrow,now that deer are over look out yotes! Gunner

Chuck
12-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Strange but true....I've had people talk down to me regarding the calling of yotes. But it really is a gas....especially when you can get them to roar right up to within feet of you...and then the look on their face when they realize they've been duped. It's priceless.
Love to get out when the snow crust holds me up and the yotes are causing everything else trouble cuz they can go fast and everywhere.

George Ackley
12-11-2007, 06:51 PM
hooked,,

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!

thats one big looking coyote pal congrats.
It can get really exiting really fast
welcome to the world of hunting the hunter