PDA

View Full Version : Any good moose hunting courses or info you recommend?

KBC
09-18-2023, 10:21 AM
Anything out there like elk101 you might recommend?
Anyone try the PDF from all-about-moose.com?
Finally drew a tag in 5-1 for the second half of October after 8 years of trying. I don’t know much about moose. I did a bit of scouting in the summer beginning of august and Labour Day long weekend. We’ll be starting around Bridge lake if you have any tips.
Thanks!

wos
09-18-2023, 01:39 PM
You have a great draw. The moose will be going into the second rut in the last half of your hunt. Absolutely great draw to have. I cut my teeth hunting moose in that area. Put in your time and the effort and you will get your moose. The numbers have been down for tge last 10 or so years but it's still a productive area. I wish I had the draw!

KBC
09-18-2023, 03:06 PM
Yeah I’m looking forward to it. Fortunately my hunting partner is far more experienced than I am. I did get a cow and calf on one of the cameras I put up but unfortunately I’m out of town so won’t be able to get back up until the tag is good.

GROOTSKY
09-19-2023, 08:43 AM
During the second rut-late October will bulls still be responsive to calling or is the action much more subdued?

Arctic Lake
09-19-2023, 08:50 AM
Yes and there is absolutely nothing to loose by trying ! Practice ,Practice ,your calling . You Tube is your friend
Arctic Lake
During the second rut-late October will bulls still be responsive to calling or is the action much more subdued?

Arctic Lake
09-19-2023, 08:53 AM
Good Luck to you ! Hope you harvest an animal ! Lots of moose gurus on HBC who I’m sure will chime in .
Arctic Lake
Finally drew a tag in 5-1 for the second half of October after 8 years of trying. I don’t know much about moose. I did a bit of scouting in the summer beginning of august and Labour Day long weekend. We’ll be starting around Bridge lake if you have any tips.
Thanks!

Getbent
09-19-2023, 04:43 PM
I’ve been seeing and watching moose all summer and since September 1st.
3 bulls that responded to calls ( stopping and turning around) as well as a couple of cows and calves.
One day had a cow turn and come right up to me with her calve to about 30 yards. Once I stretched out my arms and hands and bull grunted the calf beat the feet immediately and the cow was hot on its heels. Super cool.
Late season bulls that haven’t had a chance to lay pipe will especially come in looking for
a piece of tail. I’m hoping for a spike fork that’s looking for action!

HappyJack
09-20-2023, 08:35 AM
Thanks!

Moose are fairly easy to hunt, #1 they like water so hunt near water sources, lakes, rivers even little hidden pot holes. #2 moose like to feed on red willow, areas with water and red willow is where you will find them hanging out. #3 moose can't fly, they leave tracks, learn the difference between bull and cow moose tracks and then hunt those previously mentioned areas where you find fresh bull moose tracks. #4 moose will often come out into large cuts [with water/feed] in the dark and bed down, if you can find a good spot to glass an appropriate area go there just before daylight and glass for a moose getting out of it's bedding site. They sometimes will stay there until the sun is well into the sky and warming things up, like 11am or so, so don't give up early, sit and watch and make some mournful cow moose calls to entertain them.

Good luck on your leh hunt.

KBC
09-20-2023, 09:49 AM
Moose are fairly easy to hunt, #1 they like water so hunt near water sources, lakes, rivers even little hidden pot holes. #2 moose like to feed on red willow, areas with water and red willow is where you will find them hanging out. #3 moose can't fly, they leave tracks, learn the difference between bull and cow moose tracks and then hunt those previously mentioned areas where you find fresh bull moose tracks. #4 moose will often come out into large cuts [with water/feed] in the dark and bed down, if you can find a good spot to glass an appropriate area go there just before daylight and glass for a moose getting out of it's bedding site. They sometimes will stay there until the sun is well into the sky and warming things up, like 11am or so, so don't give up early, sit and watch and make some mournful cow moose calls to entertain them.

Good luck on your leh hunt.

Thanks for the tips! Any good YouTube references for calling?

Arctic Lake
09-20-2023, 10:23 AM
Not sure if he’s on YouTube Ken Capling (sp) from Ontario World Champion .
Arctic Lake

drum_boy101
09-20-2023, 02:06 PM
Thanks for this post OP & for the tips Posters! Won the draw in 3-42 for November.

KBC
09-25-2023, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the tips guys.
ive seen it here and on YouTube now a bit, guys hanging tampons with moose piss on them. Where do you guys get it and any brands you recommend?

HappyJack
09-25-2023, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the tips guys.
ive seen it here and on YouTube now a bit, guys hanging tampons with moose piss on them. Where do you guys get it and any brands you recommend?

Never tried tampons.....we did try some of those elk incense sticks, they didn't work on the elk but twice we had bull moose come to check them out.

Arctic Lake
09-25-2023, 10:05 AM
Going to be my first year trying tampons . Steven Rupp swears by them.I used to just put scent on paper towel .
Arctic Lake
Never tried tampons.....we did try some of those elk incense sticks, they didn't work on the elk but twice we had bull moose come to check them out.

thompie505
09-28-2023, 01:08 PM
Will the moose urine work post rut? Oct 15-? Any brands people would recommend? What elk insense sticks were you using HappyJack?

HappyJack
09-28-2023, 04:05 PM
Will the moose urine work post rut? Oct 15-? Any brands people would recommend? What elk insense sticks were you using HappyJack?

Not sure what brand they were, I just noted that bull moose found them pretty interesting on more than one occasion.

KBC
10-09-2023, 10:21 AM
Any good tips other than shoot one close to the truck if you’re solo? Unfortunately I might have to go on this hunt alone.

HappyJack
10-09-2023, 10:26 AM
Any good tips other than shoot one close to the truck if you’re solo? Unfortunately I might have to go on this hunt alone.

Going alone would suck. Have several sharp knives, and a good bone saw...and heavy rope/ pullies, and game bags, with how warm it's been the blow flies might still be an issue.

srupp
10-09-2023, 01:23 PM
hmmm with broken a rm /shouulder typing is painful/slow

call me i will help....BUCK EXPERT works best your time still rut call

steven

KBC
10-09-2023, 01:51 PM
hmmm with broken a rm /shouulder typing is painful/slow

call me i will help....BUCK EXPERT works best your time still rut call

steven

Cool thanks. I’m in the US right now for work but get home Thursday. I believe I have your number in a pm from a few years ago. Thanks!

ryanonthevedder
10-11-2023, 12:35 PM
Guthro's Moose Madness series is a very valuable set of dvds to watch.