PDA

View Full Version : Long term weather forecast?

MichelD
09-10-2023, 02:28 PM
Boy, I have been planning on getting my wall tent ready to take the stove I just bought for a trip to Region 3 in October, but looking at the long term dry weather, I wouldn't be surprised if there will still be a campfire ban on in Region 3 into October. The 14-day forecast for Clinton shows one day of cloudy with showers in the next two weeks ( on Sept. 23 ) and sunny again Sept. 24.

If there is a campfire ban I'd be nervous about using a stove in my tent even with a spark arrestor.

I don't want to be "That guy."

Ron.C
09-10-2023, 02:39 PM
Boy, I have been planning on getting my wall tent ready to take the stove I just bought, but looking at the long term dry weather, I wouldn't be surprised if there will still be a campfire ban on in Region 3 into October. The 14-day forecast for Clinton shows one day of cloudy with showers in the next two weeks ( on Sept. 23 ) and sunny again Sept. 24.

If there is a campfire ban I'd be nervous about using a stove in my tent even with a spark arrestor.

I don't want to be "That guy."

This subject was debated on HBC a couple years ago. My read is that wood fired tent stoves like we all use in our wall tents are not permitted during fire ban. I base this on the key word being "buidling" and my tent is not a building. Interpret as you will.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/public-safety-and-emergency-services/wildfire-status/fire-bans-and-restrictions/2018_burning_01_stovescampfires_web.pdf

An outdoor stove is “any device that burns fuel for cooking”. The only outdoor stoves that may be used during a campfire prohibition are those that use liquid fuel, gaseous fuel or briquettes, and are CSA-approved or ULC-approved.Using stoves that burn wood is prohibited when a campfire prohibition is in effect, unless the stove is incorporated in a building and vented through a flue.

MichelD
09-10-2023, 02:43 PM
Just after I posted that I see that the campfire ban was rescinded Sept. 7.

" Category 1 fire, or campfire, is defined as an open fire that burns piled material no larger than 0.5 metres high and 0.5 metres wide. The following precautions must be in place when lighting or making use of a campfire:

There is ready access to a shovel or at least eight litres of water the entirety of the time the campfire is lit.
There is a fuel break around the campfire, free of any debris or combustible materials.
The fire is fully extinguished and the ashes are cold to the touch before leaving the campfire for any length of time."

Getbent
09-12-2023, 03:29 PM
Just after I posted that I see that the campfire ban was rescinded Sept. 7.

" Category 1 fire, or campfire, is defined as an open fire that burns piled material no larger than 0.5 metres high and 0.5 metres wide. The following precautions must be in place when lighting or making use of a campfire:

There is ready access to a shovel or at least eight litres of water the entirety of the time the campfire is lit.
There is a fuel break around the campfire, free of any debris or combustible materials.
The fire is fully extinguished and the ashes are cold to the touch before leaving the campfire for any length of time."

Where are you seeing that the ban has been lifted?
the highway signs all still read that the ban is in place as well as the Gov sites.
I found one reference to October 13 with a potential lifting at that time.

Ron.C
09-12-2023, 03:35 PM
SE fire center has lifted its campfire ban

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status/prevention/fire-bans-and-restrictions

https://blog.gov.bc.ca/bcwildfire/category-1-campfire-prohibition-to-be-rescinded-in-the-southeast/

Forks
09-12-2023, 03:49 PM
Just got back from the Bowron Lake Circuit. The first 3 days there was a fire ban in place, but at "shelters" the use of the wood burning stoves was permitted. More like large gazebos almost.
I guess these shelters could classify more as a building but a couple did not have full walls. definitely larger than a wall tent though, maybe not by much. Food for thought? I would not want to be 'that guy' as well and would err on the side of caution. Just seems to be a lot of grey areas with regulations (of all sorts)! I am sure a lot of us would appreciate clear and concise.

Hopefully the fire bans will lift though. We were not expecting them to on the Circuit but when the park ranger came by in their boat informing us that the fires could be had the next day starting at noon, it was a pleasant surprise.

Getbent
09-12-2023, 05:27 PM
SE fire center has lifted its campfire ban

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status/prevention/fire-bans-and-restrictions

https://blog.gov.bc.ca/bcwildfire/category-1-campfire-prohibition-to-be-rescinded-in-the-southeast/
Kamloops has not.

Arctic Lake
09-12-2023, 06:50 PM
Gonna suck for keeping harvested game in camp if it’s too hot !
Arctic Lake

Redthies
09-12-2023, 09:49 PM
Gonna suck for keeping harvested game in camp if it’s too hot !
Arctic Lake

Sept is for the birds. Literally. I spend most of the month running my dogs. 25* + is too hot for big game in my world.