PDA

View Full Version : The bow hunt results are in

caddisguy
09-03-2023, 06:13 PM
I was really after the fork but the 5x5 (it is 5x5 but you can only see 4x3 in the pic) wouldn't get out of the way so I just passed on the whole deal and walked away

https://i.imgur.com/DHzMSIb.png

Jokes aside. I bumped into this buck a few times within bow range during our Spring bear hunt (video on the youtube) and figured I'd go have a look and see if he's still around.

Good news is that he is. Bad news is this stalk was over before it even started. I blame myself for not putting my hat on to prevent the rays reflecting from the shiny bald noggin.

He was with the same fork he was hanging out with in the Spring, but a doe added to the mix this time. They were walking towards me and she blew me out at around 60 yards. Bounced about 15 yards up the hill. The 5x5 was flicking his tail "naww it's all good, follow me" ... doe doesn't follow and keeps up with the hissy fit, then started walking away and they followed.

I tried the whole "neutral body language" thing... pretending I was itching myself and browsing. It worked for me on a blacktail bow hunt once. I did the whole act for a good while, "bedding down" 10-15 yards from the doe, got up after half an hour and walked right up to her (about 5 yards away) and put an arrow through the buck. She didn't even get up. Sat there with her for about a half hour after and she's totally chill. Well, this doe wasn't buying my BS.

Inspiring though. Maybe he'll still be there in a couple weeks.

grantk
09-03-2023, 07:15 PM
Nice buck, good luck! I saw a beauty 4x4 this morning while out scouting, hoping he's sticking around until next weekend.

HarryToolips
09-03-2023, 09:54 PM
Man that's a beauty buck, I hope you get him..

jamfarm
09-04-2023, 05:34 AM
Cool, do you have a link to your YouTube video?

Redthies
09-04-2023, 07:09 AM
Beauty buck CG! Next Sunday you won’t have to get as close!

browningboy
09-04-2023, 07:48 AM
Beauty buck there! ^^

TheObserver
09-04-2023, 09:13 AM
Nice Buck!! I came so close to sealing the deal on a 4 point this weekend, but didn't happen. Seen him again later in the day but didn't attempt the stalk and didn't see him the next day regret it now.