PDA

View Full Version : Youth hunting

chola
09-01-2023, 05:34 PM
I know nothing about youth hunting here in BC.

I have heard they are allowed to use a rifle, can anyone enlighten me when ya get a chance please…., I keep cruising the regs but cannot find what I need to know....basically in region 4, sept 1-9 is an archery season and a youth season....just making sure youth are able to use a rifle during this time

oddsix
09-01-2023, 05:39 PM
There are youth Mule Deer seasons in various regions. Go to the region you will be hunting, read under Mule Deer towards the bottom. Generally from Sept 1-9. Rifle allowed. Study the regs.

chola
09-01-2023, 05:42 PM
Yep, saw all the youth stuff. Just wanted to know what they could use. Thanks for helping out….I know a few youngsters who are gonna be pumped up now

grantk
09-01-2023, 08:24 PM
Pg 6 of the regs has all the youth license info. Page 12 & 13 list the legal hunting methods for different game (doesn't matter if you're a youth or not, you must be able to ethically kill the animal). Anyone using a firearm without a PAL must be under close and direct supervision of a valid license holder.

HarryToolips
09-01-2023, 08:34 PM
What they said.... in many regions, there are youth seasons for whitetail bucks as well..good luck

Everett
09-02-2023, 10:35 AM
Bob rifles are allowed for the Kootenay September 1-9 youth season

bcsteve
09-02-2023, 01:29 PM
They also need a youth license.

Bigdoggdon
09-03-2023, 12:14 AM
OK so here's the question. You can purchase a Youth License on behalf of any youth between 10-18 years old. A youth hunter, until such time as they successfully complete the CORE program, with their Youth License are essentially a satellite of the supervising adult. Any game that the Youth harvests is included in the Adult Supervisors bag limit. If a youth harvests a deer for example, the Adult supervisor cuts the tag. So how does an Adult Supervisor cut a tag if the animal was harvested in a "Youth Only" season for with the adult supervisor is not eligible? Does that mean an Adult Supervisor can utilize their charges ability to harvest, say, a mule deer doe where he could not have done before?

I understand that once a youth has passed the CORE program they receive their hunter number and from then on can purchase their own resident hunting license with their own bag limits and are still eligible to participate in "youth only" seasons.

j270wsm
09-03-2023, 05:24 AM
^^^^ I understand what you’re getting at…..how would it look to a CO if they see than you, as an adult, have a tag cut during the youth season.
I had the same questions when my son was a youth hunter. When they look you up in the system, I’d hope that they would see that you have bought a youth licence and take your explanation at face value.
In your example, The adult supervisor can’t hunt mule deer but the youth can as long as there is a specific “ youth only” season for that region.