PDA

View Full Version : Game Bags

Arctic Lake
09-01-2023, 07:28 AM
Fellas I have always used cheese cloth on dressed game .I was at the store yesterday and noticed a bunch of alternatives . Do use any of them , if so what ones and are there any advantages ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake

grantk
09-01-2023, 08:10 AM
I've been using some Allen Backcountry bags the last few years, basically glorified pillow cases. Advantages are they're strong & hang-able and keeps insects and debris completely off of the meat, you can machine wash and re-use relatively easily. Disadvantage is cost compared to cheese-cloth styles.

Harvest the Land
09-01-2023, 08:25 AM
Probably in the minority here but I like 100% cotton bags. They're heavier but I like the fact that my meat isn't sitting in plastic (and whatever other chemicals like pfas that the synthetic bags might contain). And if we're lucky enough to harvest more than one animal in a weekend we use old pillow cases as backup.

Anyone else stuck at work counting down the hours? Can't wait to get into my blind!

Arctic Lake
09-01-2023, 08:30 AM
Yes for sure no plastic especially garbage bags ,can’t believe people actually put meat in them !
Arctic Lake

wallz
09-01-2023, 08:34 AM
I've used a set of these for the last 4 or 5 years. A few minor tears now from broken bones going through, but they have held up well. Wash, dry, fold into carry bag, repeat.
https://www.amazon.ca/Elk-Moose-6pc-Game-Bag/dp/B0040DIF0A/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=Game+Bags&qid=1693582215&sr=8-19

I did get some amazon laundry hamper bags last year. They are larger, and look as sturdy, and were cheaper. Hopefully this year I get to try them out.

I used to use cheese cloth years back, and moved away from them, and haven't looked back. Way less grunge from the ground on the meat, and less likely hood of flies getting on the meat.

kevingm1987
09-01-2023, 08:36 AM
Game bags have come along way for sure. I have a mix of allan and kuiu ones, both synthetic. Stronger, lighter, re-usable, more durable. Well worth the investment in my opinion. Tighter weaves on the bags keep more junk out. Ran the alaska game bags for the first first years of hunting, they worked but prefer synthetic. Black ovis make some quality looking game bags as well.

TheObserver
09-01-2023, 08:52 AM
For hunting out of a camp, sewn cotton bedsheets work good. For backpacking Elk I just picked up some Argali large meat on bone set, going to grab there high country set for backpacking Deer hunts when i'm back from my Elk hunt.

horseman2
09-01-2023, 09:32 AM
Once a year buy some new sheet and replace the old ones.
Recycle the old ones into game bags by folding over and double sewing to close off the open end and side.
For deer I have wrapped the carcass and also dropped it in to the open end.

Everyone appreciates new sheets!

srupp
09-01-2023, 02:07 PM
lol used the bedsheet plan..however I HAVE been using YUKON GAME BAGS good quality good size good price.
steven

Citori54
09-01-2023, 02:13 PM
We use the butcher's cloth that we buy in a large roll. A roll lasts several years and you can wash and re-use. It will stretch enough to do full moose and elk quarters.

kevingm1987
09-01-2023, 02:15 PM
Once a year buy some new sheet and replace the old ones.
Recycle the old ones into game bags by folding over and double sewing to close off the open end and side.
For deer I have wrapped the carcass and also dropped it in to the open end.

Everyone appreciates new sheets!

Even though they get washed, this just sounds dirty to me.

Salix
09-01-2023, 04:51 PM
I used a set of Huto game bags last year on my elk. Worked well. It’s a BC company based out of Vernon. Bags are reusable. Washed up well. Hopefully will put another animal in them in a couple weeks.

savage10
09-01-2023, 04:53 PM
I used a set of Huto game bags last year on my elk. Worked well. It’s a BC company based out of Vernon. Bags are reusable. Washed up well. Hopefully will put another animal in them in a couple weeks.

I’ll be using Huto’s this year as well. Nice to be able to support a local guy putting out quality gear. Hopefully I put them to good use!

Ron.C
09-01-2023, 05:07 PM
I use synthetic caribou bags now. Just the brand I selected at the time, sure there are lots of other similar options now. This is my 4th years with them. 4 elk quarter bags + 2 medium size bags pack smaller and weigh less than a single one of my traditional old HD style bags. They are incredibly strong plus they rinse easily and dry and a fraction of the time to the old ones. So far, had 2 elk 4 deer 1 bear in these bags as all are still as good as the day I get them.

j270wsm
09-01-2023, 06:26 PM
I’ve been looking at the ones the guys from born and raised outdoors have designed. Synthetic bags with a zipper so one person can easily get a full quarter into them. They’re expensive but if they last 15yrs then they’d be worth it.

high horse Hal
09-02-2023, 08:16 AM
Thanks for this, now I'll recognize what the HUTO label is about next time I see it. Saw a hat and no idea

srthomas75
09-02-2023, 08:35 AM
I've used a set of bedsheets before. [ I like the idea of sewing them into a bag shape as someone on hear mentioned ] We used them on moose quarters hanging at camp and for keeping them clean on the ride home to a butcher. inexpensive and functional

Treed
09-02-2023, 10:16 AM
I use the bags that you store sleeping bags in. They are tough, have drawcords with toggles, come in different sizes and are inexpensive. They work really well.

MichelD
09-02-2023, 10:31 AM
My wife sewed me up some game bags from bed sheets years ago. Large enough for a hind or front shoulder of a moose or elk, a back end of a deer or bear and some are tough enough to hang in a tree if you want.

I thorougly handwash them in a mix of borax or baking powder, dish soap and laundry soap slosh and rinse them, then wash in a machine twice before storing for re-use.

stoneramhunter
09-02-2023, 02:00 PM
go to value village and pick up pillow cases a few bucks a piece. perfect no bugs can get a meat keeps meat clean and bags breath. been doing it for years.

kevingm1987
09-02-2023, 02:44 PM
go to value village and pick up pillow cases a few bucks a piece. perfect no bugs can get a meat keeps meat clean and bags breath. been doing it for years.

only bugs that can get to your meat, are the bed bugs it comes with

Quince2
09-02-2023, 11:20 PM
Been running allen bags for a while, trying the koola buck XXL, anyone have any input on them?