PDA

View Full Version : Any tips and tricks for packing for a float plane?

SaintSix
08-31-2023, 05:27 AM
I’ve done a few fly on trips now and I’m Starting to refine how I pack for the float plane. I know there’s tons of experience on this forum and possibly some pilots. Just any tips or rules for packing for the float plane that new to fly in hunters might need to know?

A few things I’ve learned, packing using Dry bags vs containers for extra gear is easier for your pilot to spread the weight evenly. If you carry bear spray leave it out, he will most likely put it into his float storage so there’s no chance it goes off inside the cabin while flying. Bring some garbage bags to put your meat hmgame bags in so it doesn’t bleed all over the plane.

I’ve always flew with my gun strapped to my bag, but some with a soft cover. What seems to be the preference?

This will be my first time flying my canoe in, any tips on that or what to expect?

444marlin
08-31-2023, 07:13 AM
We leave our gun cases at the base.
I wear Muck Boots going in so I can get in the water and help unload the plane.
Beats standing on the floats trying to keep your balance with heavy items.

264mag
08-31-2023, 07:25 AM
If you need propane, buy the small 11 lb tanks. They fit nicely in the floats. I also pack some gear in small dry bags that also fit in the floats. Usually in a beaver you run out of room before you run into weight issues.

eatram
08-31-2023, 07:41 AM
Bring the pilot a small gift from home. It helps smooth out the rough edges. Remember, Ooter loves chocolate.

Arctic Lake
08-31-2023, 08:28 AM
Never been on a fly in but would love to do it . Just a gentle reminder do not use garbage bags for meat they contain chemicals that can leech onto the meat . Only use food grade bags if you need to put in plastic .
Arctic Lake
I’ve done a few fly on trips now and I’m Starting to refine how I pack for the float plane. I know there’s tons of experience on this forum and possibly some pilots. Just any tips or rules for packing for the float plane that new to fly in hunters might need to know?

A few things I’ve learned, packing using Dry bags vs containers for extra gear is easier for your pilot to spread the weight evenly. If you carry bear spray leave it out, he will most likely put it into his float storage so there’s no chance it goes off inside the cabin while flying. Bring some garbage bags to put your meat hmgame bags in so it doesn’t bleed all over the plane.

I’ve always flew with my gun strapped to my bag, but some with a soft cover. What seems to be the preference?

This will be my first time flying my canoe in, any tips on that or what to expect?

northernguy
08-31-2023, 10:42 AM
I fly float planes for a living. Here are my suggestions:

1) Packing several smaller bags instead of a few big ones is much better. No F*%&#$% hockey bags. Even bags half that size may not fit.
2) The medium Rubbermaid Roughneck totes fit perfectly in Beavers and through the cargo door of 185's. The big ones are too big and too heavy when loaded.
3) Use soft sided coolers and freeze all the fresh food you can (even eggs) so you don't need ice. Hard sided coolers are heavy just by themselves and they are a space vampire!
4) Don't tie anything to the outside of your pack. It will get torn off when loading/unloading. Pack water bottles inside for travel
5) Don't pack water. It weighs 10 lbs a gallon. The bottled water companies have everyone brainwashed that lake and creek water is toxic and can't be made safe to drink.
6)Wrap the waist belt of your packs around the front of the pack, snap the buckle together, and tighten down the waist belt. Buckles get snagged when unloading and break off. I have seen a few sheep hunts ruined from not doing this.
7) Hard sided gun/bow cases don't fit in small planes. Period.
8) Pack a harmonica instead of a guitar.
9) Show up ready to load the plane...not your packs and boxes. Your 9AM departure time is just that. The time the plane is leaving. Use a separate bag for road travel with a shaving kit, city clothes, etc. It keeps you from having to break into your camp pack for everyday items you need on the road. Leave the city bag in your rig when you fly out.
10) Secure your cell phone in an upper pocket with a button or zipper when boarding and unloading. You need both hands to load safely and bending over is required. Leave the travel mug in your pack for the flight. You don't need it. It's just the adult version of a baby soother.
11) Be prepared to get your feet wet when unloading. Most locations don't have docks and many beaches are too shallow for the plane to get close to dry ground. Be prepared to get into knee deep water at the arrival point.
12) Pack a day or two of extra (freeze dried) food in case the plane can't get in on pick up day.
13) Be ready to load the plane at the pre-arranged pick up time. Pilots are on a tight schedule and have no time to wait for you to pull down camp and pack up. Some outfits are charging a hefty "wait fee" if you're not ready on time (like $1000!).
14) Have tarps and game bags for the pilot to use. Help him load.
15) You won't use a 25 lb propane bottle on a 10 day hunt. Use smaller ones. Otherwise you're just giving a bunch of propane a free tour of the countryside.
16) Everything weighs a whole lot more than you think. Everything. Weigh everything...you'll be surprised!
17) Float planes are a whole lot smaller than you think. If you can't fit it into 2 door car with a small trunk, it likely won't fit into a Beaver...So plan accordingly.
18) Have all the gear piled up and ready to load. All of it. It's an art to pack a small plane so when you show up with your day pack over your shoulder once the plane is loaded, there's a very good chance it will have to be left behind.

I'll quit there or this could turn into a rant :razz:

Best of luck and have fun!!!

fozzy
08-31-2023, 10:54 AM

1) Packing several smaller bags instead of a few big ones is much better. No F*%&#$% hockey bags. Even bags half that size may not fit.
2) The medium Rubbermaid Roughneck totes fit perfectly in Beavers and through the cargo door of 185's. The big ones are too big and too heavy when loaded.
3) Use soft sided coolers and freeze all the fresh food you can (even eggs) so you don't need ice. Hard sided coolers are heavy just by themselves and they are a space vampire!
4) Don't tie anything to the outside of your pack. It will get torn off when loading/unloading. Pack water bottles inside for travel
5) Don't pack water. It weighs 10 lbs a gallon. The bottled water companies have everyone brainwashed that lake and creek water is toxic and can't be made safe to drink.
6)Wrap the waist belt of your packs around the front of the pack, snap the buckle together, and tighten down the waist belt. Buckles get snagged when unloading and break off. I have seen a few sheep hunts ruined from not doing this.
9) Show up ready to load the plane...not your packs and boxes. Your 9AM departure time is just that. The time the plane is leaving. Use a separate bag for road travel with a shaving kit, city clothes, etc. It keeps you from having to break into your camp pack for everyday items you need on the road. Leave the city bag in your rig when you fly out.
10) Secure your cell phone in an upper pocket with a button or zipper when boarding and unloading. You need both hands to load safely and bending over is required. Leave the travel mug in your pack for the flight. You don't need it. It's just the adult version of a baby soother.
11) Be prepared to get your feet wet when unloading. Most locations don't have docks and many beaches are too shallow for the plane to get close to dry ground. Be prepared to get into knee deep water at the arrival point.
12) Pack a day or two of extra (freeze dried) food in case the plane can't get in on pick up day.
13) Be ready to load the plane at the pre-arranged pick up time. Pilots are on a tight schedule and have no time to wait for you to pull down camp and pack up. Some outfits are charging a hefty "wait fee" if you're not ready on time (like $1000!).
15) You won't use a 25 lb propane bottle on a 10 day hunt. Use smaller ones. Otherwise you're just giving a bunch of propane a free tour of the countryside.
16) Everything weighs a whole lot more than you think. Everything. Weigh everything...you'll be surprised!
17) Float planes are a whole lot smaller than you think. If you can't fit it into 2 door car with a small trunk, it likely won't fit into a Beaver...So plan accordingly.
18) Have all the gear piled up and ready to load. All of it. It's an art to pack a small plane so when you show up with your day pack over your shoulder once the plane is loaded, there's a very good chance it will have to be left behind.

Thanks Northernguy, it's good for folks to hear it from someone that does it everyday.

Never been on a fly in trip, likely never will, but love the idea.

Fozzy

MOOSE MILK
08-31-2023, 01:51 PM
Pack what you think you need, then unpack again and leave half out when you repack.
MM

SaintSix
08-31-2023, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the input, I was hoping a pilot would respond.

Darksith
08-31-2023, 08:23 PM
Bring ear plugs, the pilots usually have but sometimes they don't. They don't take up any space.
Help the pilots at the airbase load and unload, even if its not your flight. It will get you to your spot faster, sometimes it will mean you go before guys that just stand around and watch
Remember weather is the enemy. Its not the pilots fault if they can't get to you, they might even circle around your lake hoping the winds would be less, don't panic or freak out if they fly away, they will email you when they get back to base. Stay calm
Be patient
You don't need more than a 2 or 4hp if your bringing an inflatable boat
Green scrub/alpine balsam burns just fine in case you didn't know

JAGRMEISTER
09-07-2023, 07:44 AM
Well spoken, hopefully some get this message!

browningboy
09-07-2023, 09:26 AM
Have some contingency food-supplies as fog may hamper you getting picked up for a few days as that time of year the dew point vs temperature almost always produces fog.

IsleBlacktail
01-16-2024, 10:51 AM
Great thread! Thanks for the info!

Everett
01-16-2024, 12:25 PM
Have extra coffee and beer in case you get stuck for a couple days, you can always live on fish but no coffee and beer makes for grumpy hunters.
If your stuck at the float base waiting for the weather always take the pilot out for lunch.
If it is a owner operated float plane pay in cash.
So pilots will not accept a cash tip but they all accept a bottle.

180grainer
01-16-2024, 07:22 PM

I've only done two fly ins. My opinion. Pack everything you need in the pack your using to hike up that mountain. Add enough provisions at the airplane base while you wait to get picked up or if there's some unforseen event delaying the plane. Couple cases of beer always helps for the wait if your early. My jet boat experience is sort of the same. Pack as if your carrying it yourself for the days you'll be gone and leave the rest for fuel and meat.

180grainer
01-16-2024, 07:25 PM

Thanks for posting that. Not like I'll ever do a fly in again but that's good info for the younger guys with money.

elknut
01-18-2024, 04:58 PM
Best tip I got from guys flying to caribou hunt ....The plane was an otter so lots of room ..they were 3 guys and gear ..They were way under for weight so loaded lots of firewood to take up the remaining weight..They had a real light stove and pipes ..Was real nice to have wood heat up in the high country ..We didnt need any where we were going but liked the idea ..Dennis