PDA

View Full Version : Atlin, B.C, First Nation urging hunters to reconsider their hunting plans this season

Gateholio
08-29-2023, 08:50 PM
Atlin, B.C, First Nation urging hunters to reconsider their hunting plans this season

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/taku-river-tlingit-hunters-restriction-1.6950237

North
Atlin, B.C, First Nation urging hunters to reconsider their hunting plans this season

Taku River Tlingit First Nation say request was made to protect vulnerable moose populations
Chris MacIntyre · CBC News · Posted: Aug 29, 2023 10:52 AM MDT | Last Updated: 6 hours ago
Big sign outside of a building
The Taku River Tlingit First Nation released a statement on Monday saying their request that hunters avoid hunting on their traditional territory was made in good faith, in an effort to protect vulnerable moose populations. (CBC)

The Taku River Tlingit First Nation (TRTFN) in Atlin, B.C, is asking all hunters to avoid hunting on their traditional territory this season.

On Monday, the First Nation released a statement saying the request was made in good faith, in an effort to "take serious action to protect vulnerable moose populations on their territories."

Logan Law, a TRTFN citizen and hunter, said that she respects the request, however hunting is a traditional right and way of life for her family.

"Unfortunately, I still need food," Law said. "My elders — I hunt for my aunties — They still need food."

According to a population survey conducted by the B.C. government and released earlier this year, as of January 2022, there were only 17 bulls per 100 cows. The provincial minimum for low-density moose populations is 50 bulls per 100 cows.

The First Nation said that if something isn't done now, they next year's bull count could drop as low as 9 bulls per 100 cows.
A woman standing outside smiling
Logan Law said she respects her First Nation's request not to hunt in Atlin this season, however hunting is a traditional right and way of life for her family. 'Unfortunately, I still need food,' she said. 'My elders — I hunt for my aunties — They still need food.' (Logan Law)

"That's really a bad number," said Law.

"My grandma would talk about coming here and every time you'd drive down the road you'd see a moose. I haven't seen a moose here in years, except for the ones we've killed when we're really actively searching for one."

The First Nation said it's asking "all hunters from across the province" to reconsider their hunting plans. That includes its own citizens and local hunters.

Law said she feels those who live in Atlin should be exempt from the restriction.

"If anything, [for] the people who live here, it's different," she said. "The people coming from Whitehorse, or I heard of people coming from Fort Saint John, like all over it's .. really we don't have anything. We only have barely enough for our own."

"So please don't come because my way of life, we call it our Haa K̲usteeyix̲. My hunting. My elders' food is threatened.

Taku River Tlingit First Nation in Atlin, B.C., puts traditional place names on the map

Non-Kaska hunters so far observing ban, Liard First Nation says

Law said she still plans to hunt, but she will look beyond Atlin this season out of respect for her First Nation's wishes and for the moose.

"I don't want to be the one that ends up ending it all," Law joked.

Manu Keggenhoff also lives and hunts in the Atlin area.

Although she is not Indigenous herself, she, like Law, hunts for sustenance.

She told CBC News that she's seen an increase in outside hunters coming to Atlin.
Woman smilng while wearing a camo jacket
Manu Keggenhoff also lives and hunts in the Atlin area. Although not Indigenous herself, Keggenhoff, like Law, also hunts for sustenance. She said she stands behind the Taku River Tlingit First Nation's request for hunting activities to cease this year. (Manu Keggenhoff)

"It has been really insane over the past few years," she said. "Other areas, especially in the North, but elsewhere in B.C., as well have been closed to open season hunting or are restricted. That left Atlin at a vulnerable place because everybody is coming up here."

Keggenhoff calls the situation overwhelming and that is why she said she supports the First Nations request.

She said the provincial government needs to step in to do more to protect the moose population before there's nothing left to hunt.

"I think we all have a responsibility," she said. "First Nation, non-First Nation, everyone, in the end, to monitor this and I know that the B.C., decision to not close this area just came so shortly before hunting season started when [TRTFN] put that request in a long time ago."

CBC News requested comment from B.C,'s ministry of Forests, but didn't get a response before publication.

huntingfamily
08-29-2023, 09:36 PM
Yes, people are travelling more to hunt moose. It didn't help last year when they shortened the moose GOS in 12 WMU's in the Peace region from 54 days to 4 days post rut.

HarryToolips
08-29-2023, 10:05 PM
Have they conducted any pred culls in the region? Is much of the habitat in need of enhancement? Are poor bull:cow ratios the primary cause of decline? - is it FN's over harvest of bulls that is the primary issue given the poor bull:cow ratios? Or did the govt make errors with liberal open seasons that led to the poor bull:cow ratios?

Stone Sheep Steve
08-30-2023, 03:53 AM
It’s a huge area with low road density.
I’d like to see the actual bull to cow ratios.
When they blocked the Klappan (another low road density area) in protest the bull to cow was actually very high.

Any of the Fed guys have access to the ratios?

SSS

decker9
08-30-2023, 07:58 AM
It’s looking like the Atlin and area is proposed for leh in the next regs (along with lots of other changes). Had a link sent to me with the new changes, haven’t seen it online yet though.

Check out WSSBC “not bound by boarders” podcast, and hear what’s happened to the Carcross area sheep, it’s all related. Luckily there’s $$$ to be put into that project, fingers crossed they can teach them folks what sustainable harvest is.

Harvest the Land
08-30-2023, 08:04 AM
Do they expect us to believe that last year was the first harsh winter they've ever had up there?

Is it any wonder why they refuse to publish their annual harvest statistics?

Cat catcher
08-30-2023, 08:37 AM
It has nothing to do with harsh winters for sure. I live in Atlin. Our numbers are down for sure.

high horse Hal
08-30-2023, 08:41 AM
Yes, people are travelling more to hunt moose. It didn't help last year when they shortened the moose GOS in 12 WMU's in the Peace region from 54 days to 4 days post rut.that corner of 6 was the last to drop the gos and go to point restrictions for moose a few years ago too
'No surprise traffic has picked up, youre right
Does the ministry of moose even do surveys up there? 50:100 seems like a dream anywhere

Cat catcher
08-30-2023, 08:44 AM
They did a survey in 2022 I believe, there also want a ATV restriction at 1200m so that will eliminate a lot of travel in the area also.

jamfarm
08-30-2023, 09:31 PM
Want less hunters in Altin? Reopen 7b back up how it was before, any bull Aug 15-30, SOFT-10 starting Sept 1. That hunt was completely sustainable.

GreyDog
08-31-2023, 08:22 AM
I think residents of any area should have priority for hunting. This goes for Atlin, Kootenays, Kamloops, Okanogan, or where ever. GD

kevingm1987
08-31-2023, 08:49 AM
Does that mean my tax dollars should be used for projects around Maple ridge only? Should people from Gold river get priority to fish Nootka sound? Should we not ship any of farmed food up to Atlin? let them grow there open fruit and veggies in the 3 month growing season they get? The entire province relies on another portion of the province for something, its all interconnected like a spiderweb. To continue to push the idea of "since I live here, I get priority" is such BS.

BC is big and has tons of area to hunt. Born and raised on the lower mainland. So far I have hunted, regions 1,2,3,5,6,7,8. I will continue to hunt across the entire province because its my damn right too.

I think residents of any area should have priority for hunting. This goes for Atlin, Kootenays, Kamloops, Okanogan, or where ever. GD

Arctic Lake
08-31-2023, 10:19 AM
GreyDog what are you thinking in terms of priority ? That might be a tricky subject . We have no moose in Haney .
Arctic Lake

Trapper
08-31-2023, 10:42 AM
Does that mean my tax dollars should be used for projects around Maple ridge only? Should people from Gold river get priority to fish Nootka sound? Should we not ship any of farmed food up to Atlin? let them grow there open fruit and veggies in the 3 month growing season they get? The entire province relies on another portion of the province for something, its all interconnected like a spiderweb. To continue to push the idea of "since I live here, I get priority" is such BS.

BC is big and has tons of area to hunt. Born and raised on the lower mainland. So far I have hunted, regions 1,2,3,5,6,7,8. I will continue to hunt across the entire province because its my damn right too.
Well said... I agree with you 100%

Otto1946
08-31-2023, 10:55 AM
My family has now lived in BC for 153 years and I feel all BC residents should be equal in all aspects of access to our resources, no exceptions.

HarryToolips
08-31-2023, 11:08 AM
Want less hunters in Altin? Reopen 7b back up how it was before, any bull Aug 15-30, SOFT-10 starting Sept 1. That hunt was completely sustainable.

Completely agree.....

Guller74
09-01-2023, 04:01 PM
Sorry for the rant but here goes!

This has been our government's MO for time immemorial. They don't use science, don't spent 1/100th of what they should doing proper counts and assessment, and instead follow like sheep wherever the political fodder (and votes) take them. They have closed, or drastically reduced, hunting opportunities in MU's and entire regions over the last 3 decades and then wonder why the hunting pressure and increases in areas that still allow GOS. To my FN brethren, I do feel for your plight because it is our plight too. That said, in region 7b, let's all be honest...that closure was nothing more than a concession to two FN communities to appease them in order to fast track resource extraction political agendas. The game populations up that way are healthy and sustainable and, quite honestly, were a model in many ways for the rest of the province. It has to change or this trend will only continue until everything is LEH only. No disrespect to Steve Hamilton and Jesse Zeman for the tireless work you gents are doing to represent all hunters in BC, but the BCWF's reach is limited. We play the fair game while some FN's, political parties, and environmental activist groups play dirty. It's not a fair game and we all know it. Because BCWF is classed as a charity organization, my understanding is that they cannot lobby governments the way that activist groups can...perhaps that needs to change. I've signed countless petitions and letters to MLAs/MPs and where has it gotten us? We are ignored. We are seen as merely an irritant. So here is where I think we should start:

I'm asking ALL FN groups across BC to JOIN our fight to protect our wildlife through real science. Respect each other and band together for what should absolutely be 100% sustainable for all. If non-indigenous and indigenous hunters band together, instead of being divisive, now you have the making of a powerful group of advocates that have a lot of voice and influence that will see much more acceptance and support from the general population of non-hunters. We need to be the voice that pushes hard for things to change for the better with solid, real boots-on-the ground everyday, experience in the wild. We CAN do this!

We either need to create a lobby group of hunters that is willing to fight too or ask the BCWF to relinquish its charitable status so it can lobby and get a bit dirty too. We need to find media outlets willing to tell the truth and advocate for science-based management instead of these bought-and-paid for puppets currently in most media organizations. How about a reporter willing to do a deep-dive on this story instead of the token news articles we typically see. What about an international media source willing to turn over BC's dirty little secrets?

Lastly, for all you biologists out there who are involved in assessing populations and population health...speak up and tell your truth. Tell us if you truly have the resources and funding to accurate assessments or are you simply relying on anecdotal, antiquated information, or political pressuring?

I have two young kids that I only pray will have opportunities to hunt that I have had and now see taken away. The outlook is not good if we don't push for real change now! Who's with me?

Spy
09-01-2023, 05:44 PM

This has been our government's MO for time immemorial. They don't use science, don't spent 1/100th of what they should doing proper counts and assessment, and instead follow like sheep wherever the political fodder (and votes) take them. They have closed, or drastically reduced, hunting opportunities in MU's and entire regions over the last 3 decades and then wonder why the hunting pressure and increases in areas that still allow GOS. To my FN brethren, I do feel for your plight because it is our plight too. That said, in region 7b, let's all be honest...that closure was nothing more than a concession to two FN communities to appease them in order to fast track resource extraction political agendas. The game populations up that way are healthy and sustainable and, quite honestly, were a model in many ways for the rest of the province. It has to change or this trend will only continue until everything is LEH only. No disrespect to Steve Hamilton and Jesse Zeman for the tireless work you gents are doing to represent all hunters in BC, but the BCWF's reach is limited. We play the fair game while some FN's, political parties, and environmental activist groups play dirty. It's not a fair game and we all know it. Because BCWF is classed as a charity organization, my understanding is that they cannot lobby governments the way that activist groups can...perhaps that needs to change. I've signed countless petitions and letters to MLAs/MPs and where has it gotten us? We are ignored. We are seen as merely an irritant. So here is where I think we should start:

I'm asking ALL FN groups across BC to JOIN our fight to protect our wildlife through real science. Respect each other and band together for what should absolutely be 100% sustainable for all. If non-indigenous and indigenous hunters band together, instead of being divisive, now you have the making of a powerful group of advocates that have a lot of voice and influence that will see much more acceptance and support from the general population of non-hunters. We need to be the voice that pushes hard for things to change for the better with solid, real boots-on-the ground everyday, experience in the wild. We CAN do this!

We either need to create a lobby group of hunters that is willing to fight too or ask the BCWF to relinquish its charitable status so it can lobby and get a bit dirty too. We need to find media outlets willing to tell the truth and advocate for science-based management instead of these bought-and-paid for puppets currently in most media organizations. How about a reporter willing to do a deep-dive on this story instead of the token news articles we typically see. What about an international media source willing to turn over BC's dirty little secrets?

Lastly, for all you biologists out there who are involved in assessing populations and population health...speak up and tell your truth. Tell us if you truly have the resources and funding to accurate assessments or are you simply relying on anecdotal, antiquated information, or political pressuring?

I have two young kids that I only pray will have opportunities to hunt that I have had and now see taken away. The outlook is not good if we don't push for real change now! Who's with me?
Good post I’ve always said my kids should have the same fishing and hunting rights as a native kid. We are all Canadian and skin colour should not give you special rights. I agree with all you said above.

HarryToolips
09-01-2023, 08:31 PM

I'm with ya as well.....

Quince2
09-02-2023, 11:15 PM
Gee, close an entire region for moose hunting and people are surprised when people from different areas show up? Everyone hunts to put food on their table.

this fn's and locals hunt for food drivel is sh!t Hunting for food isnt race based or location based and should be for all people that live in bc 1st. I fish for salmon, should non- locals be banned to fish for salmon where i live? I use line with single barbless hooks while i watch "local fn's" run a damn net across the river.

Sustainability rules needs to be for everyone.

bullish
09-03-2023, 06:44 AM
That ratio is likely close to provincial norm, That 50% ratio will never happen and is out of line period. They should do a grizzly count in the area and I expect it will be off the chart, nuf said

ryanonthevedder
09-04-2023, 07:51 PM

Its a fair point.

If you as a hunter are able to afford to pack up and travel from one corner of the province to the next you can probably afford to take a pass when locals are saying numbers are down.

REMINGTON JIM
09-04-2023, 09:18 PM
Its a fair point.

If you as a hunter are able to afford to pack up and travel from one corner of the province to the next you can probably afford to take a pass when locals are saying numbers are down.

LOTS OF these LOCALS are maybe LIARS ! jmo RJ

kevingm1987
09-05-2023, 06:09 AM
Its a fair point.

Wait, what? If you can afford to drive from one corner of the province to the other, you shouldn't be allowed to hunt the other corner? What does this even mean? If you have money, you cant hunt?

digger dogger
09-05-2023, 06:47 AM
Wait, what? If you can afford to drive from one corner of the province to the other, you shouldn't be allowed to hunt the other corner? What does this even mean? If you have money, you cant hunt?

Well said! ^^^

Having restrictions on where you can hunt because of where you live, is about as divisive as North American politicians.

I agree with RJ, there are a lot of liars in the hunting world!!!

ryanonthevedder
09-05-2023, 06:48 AM

It means you can probably afford to pursue plan B or C.

digger dogger
09-05-2023, 06:51 AM
It means you can probably afford to pursue plan B or C.

Sounding like an elite^^^
Why should there be a, A, or B plan, in this huge province.
It’s not a small fly in lake.

TheObserver
09-05-2023, 06:59 AM

How are you going to go about this?

high horse Hal
09-05-2023, 07:42 AM
How are you going to go about this?There is a roundtable group right now, supposedly fighting for whats best for hunters and wildlife
They are mute, pretty bad when we get the news from CBC

REMINGTON JIM
09-05-2023, 07:54 AM
sounding like an elite^^^
why should there be a, a, or b plan, in this huge province.
It’s not a small fly in lake.

exactly ! Rj

180grainer
09-05-2023, 08:59 AM
Wondering when we'll see the headline "Hunters urge First Immigrants to jump into the 21st century and hunt wildlife under the same laws as everyone else".

TheObserver
09-05-2023, 09:58 PM
There is a roundtable group right now, supposedly fighting for whats best for hunters and wildlife
They are mute, pretty bad when we get the news from CBC

What is the group called? And they are mute as in they are not talking when resident hunters try and get answers from them?

Retiredguy
09-06-2023, 07:25 AM
Any group that is determining our future as hunters and the conservation of wildlife, and which does so entirely behind closed doors, without soliciting input from all licensed BC hunters prior to engaging in the roundtable, should be viewed with suspicion. Perhaps they are all knowledgeable and fighting the good fight for us, but they may also be individuals with specific agendas that could throw many of us under the bus.

I am completely against this sort of thing as my experience in the past with "roundtables" that are held in secrecy, is that the results they are wanting have already been semi-determined prior to meetings and the roundtable is basically to give the impression of an open discussion, when in fact it is more about beating dissenters in to submission as to "how it is going to be".

Considering the current government however, this is not too surprising as it tends to be their standard MO.

HarryToolips
09-06-2023, 07:27 AM
What is the group called? And they are mute as in they are not talking when resident hunters try and get answers from them?
They should be supporting the resident hunters, as we support them...I believe he is talking about the BCWF, which have proven to be for the most part useless...

HarryToolips
09-06-2023, 07:29 AM
Not to derail the thread, but we need an organization that actually stands up for the rights of hunters, while simultaneously educating the public as to the importance of resident hunters to wildlife; educating them by standing up for them...call it the BC resident hunters federation or something along those lines..

REMINGTON JIM
09-06-2023, 07:39 AM
Any group that is determining our future as hunters and the conservation of wildlife, and which does so entirely behind closed doors, without soliciting input from all licensed BC hunters prior to engaging in the roundtable, should be viewed with suspicion. Perhaps they are all knowledgeable and fighting the good fight for us, but they may also be individuals with specific agendas that could throw many of us under the bus.

I am completely against this sort of thing as my experience in the past with "roundtables" that are held in secrecy, is that the results they are wanting have already been semi-determined prior to meetings and the roundtable is basically to give the impression of an open discussion, when in fact it is more about beating dissenters in to submission as to "how it is going to be".

Considering the current government however, this is not too surprising as it tends to be their standard MO.

I Completely and Fully AGREE RT ! RJ

high horse Hal
09-06-2023, 08:23 AM
The biggest effort currently underway is the Together For Wildlife, but I'm afraid it is mired down in the 'recognition' mud

TheObserver
09-06-2023, 08:42 AM
The biggest effort currently underway is the Together For Wildlife, but I'm afraid it is mired down in the 'recognition' mud

Do you know if there is any way we can have access to these talks/meetings and or be there and participate as what is supposed to be an important role player in this whole thing (resident hunters)?

I would say without a doubt your right about that!

browningboy
09-06-2023, 09:02 AM
Think I need to go on a moose hunt up by Atlin?

hawk-i
09-06-2023, 01:15 PM
How about we plan a group moose hunt to Atlin?

TeeVee
09-06-2023, 08:32 PM
Wondering when we'll see the headline "Hunters urge First Immigrants to jump into the 21st century and hunt wildlife under the same laws as everyone else".
This is one of the best replies I've seen on here in a long time. Thank you. Most forget or don't care about when they came from asia. First immigrants is right.

REMINGTON JIM
09-06-2023, 09:31 PM
Think I need to go on a moose hunt up by Atlin?

Im ready to Go Bud . :smile: RJ

Guller74
09-08-2023, 11:27 AM
Organizations like the BCWF are well-intended and do get attention when it comes to habitat restoration efforts, but let's face it, resident hunters' voices are not being heard. Then only discussions are being had behind closed doors where it is easy later to claim that resident hunters were consulted as part of the government's process, but in reality, we were discounted before the BCWF even entered the room. It's lip service without action because it is easy to do so. We need mainstream media to hear our voice and frustration regarding REAL wildlife management. We need reporters who actually care about the story they write and make an effort to fact-check the propaganda being fed to them by government puppets. Our health of our province and our wildlife should never be dictated by political idiots who, quite frankly, have never spent a minute in the real outdoors. If you live in BC and enjoy the outdoors, then this should be your fight. When we are complacent, nothing happens. Canadians by our very nature, are complacent...trusting our elected officials to make sound decisions. This is exactly what government wants you to believe...complacency is easy to control.

Cat catcher
09-08-2023, 12:20 PM
Another big thing is the restriction to ATV use at 1200m and above, anyone know the rational behind the 1200m rule they’re trying to implement? Wrecking the tundra?

Fennemonster
09-09-2023, 10:44 PM
Another big thing is the restriction to ATV use at 1200m and above, anyone know the rational behind the 1200m rule they’re trying to implement? Wrecking the tundra?

No it means get out and walk. People can get anywhere now with their machines. I like this one 👌

Redthies
09-10-2023, 08:05 AM
No it means get out and walk. People can get anywhere now with their machines. I like this one 

I’m with you. There are some people who have disabilities that mean the only way they can get out is on a quad, but there are plenty of places they can go already. High alpine has such a short growing season that any off trail driving up there takes decades to grow over.

And anyone that thinks hunters will ever have “a voice” in todays world, is delusional. Until the “woke” actually wake up, we are going to remain in a downward trajectory. At least the trend for “foodies” to start hunting is going to bring the positive sides of our sport/lifestyle to some citiots.

Arctic Lake
09-10-2023, 08:29 AM
Well said !
Arctic Lake
Organizations like the BCWF are well-intended and do get attention when it comes to habitat restoration efforts, but let's face it, resident hunters' voices are not being heard. Then only discussions are being had behind closed doors where it is easy later to claim that resident hunters were consulted as part of the government's process, but in reality, we were discounted before the BCWF even entered the room. It's lip service without action because it is easy to do so. We need mainstream media to hear our voice and frustration regarding REAL wildlife management. We need reporters who actually care about the story they write and make an effort to fact-check the propaganda being fed to them by government puppets. Our health of our province and our wildlife should never be dictated by political idiots who, quite frankly, have never spent a minute in the real outdoors. If you live in BC and enjoy the outdoors, then this should be your fight. When we are complacent, nothing happens. Canadians by our very nature, are complacent...trusting our elected officials to make sound decisions. This is exactly what government wants you to believe...complacency is easy to control.