PDA

View Full Version : Which tent to put stove in?

MichelD
08-27-2023, 04:59 PM
I just got a deal on a lightly used Camp Chef barrel stove. I have a 10x12 40 year old Pioneer canvas tent and a 9x12 Egyptian cotton "sail silk" tent made by Canada Outfitters, an extinct Vancouver Company. Neither one is fitted yet with a chimney hole.

I'm wondering which tent to put the stove in.

The shorter one has five-foot walls, the other one three-foot walls. They are both roomy once set up, but the one with five-foot walls has more head room almost right to the walls.

The 10x12 canvas one has fabric that seems to be just a tad thicker than the silk one and might be more spark resistant and burn-proof than the silk one. I don't know, but with the five-foot wall the silk one seems more appropriate to put a chimney jack in.

Tough decision. At 70, I'm getting tired to sleeping in a damp pickup canopy after trying to get as warm as possible by the campfire before bed.

I'm open to advice.

thompie505
08-27-2023, 06:08 PM
Is it in the cards to upgrade to new canvas on the 10x12? New leg poles so you have 5ft walls. Then you can choose stove Jack in side or roof.

Otto1946
08-27-2023, 06:19 PM
Buy a stove jack and have it sewn in, end of problem.

Darksith
08-27-2023, 07:53 PM
put a stove jack in the bigger tent

Redthies
08-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Get the bigger canvas tent rigged for the stove. The thicker material will be a better bet, and the extra headroom will be welcome.

MOOSE MILK
08-29-2023, 11:39 AM
I bought two pieces of thin aluminum, cut a chimney hole in each, and four mounting holes to bolt them together one outside and one inside of the tent material, which works like a charm.
MM