PDA

View Full Version : What would you ask a Conservation Officer

Silvercore
08-25-2023, 08:57 PM
I am doing some research for an upcoming episode of the Silvercore Podcast. If you had the opportunity to sit down with a C.O., what would you personally want to ask them, and what question or bit of information do you feel a CO could provide the community in general the greatest value?

Thanks in advance.

Bustercluck
08-25-2023, 09:27 PM
How do you view your position as a co? More of a community police thing where interventions and learning opportunities with the general outdoors community is the greater good? Or enforcement through ticketing etc?
Does that make sense? I dont quite know how to word it. I ran into a couple of co in the last few years who were pretty seasoned at their job and I’d gladly help them find/prosecute poachers and others who make a mess of the backcountry. I had a couple of good experiences over the last few years with co where they checked my license etc and I wasn’t doing anything wrong and we had a good chat about all things outdoor related and then there’s a couple who treated me like a criminal from the time I opened my mouth and immediately started looking for something I was going wrong. I won’t help these people under any circumstance.

Im not sure how the co are trained in bc, but the Alberta version have the authority to enforce many federal and provincial acts that don’t have anything to do with conservation of our outdoor recreation. How do they view their role in enforcement? I’d like to see them more focused on conservation instead of checking vehicle licensing and helmet fines, etc. I think they should leave that stuff to the other departments and focus their efforts on their area of expertise.

thompie505
08-25-2023, 10:44 PM
What are you actively doing to address the illegal dumping and selling of salmon? Specifically during the Sockeye runs. Why are people not being held accountable for illegally selling these fish?

Bugle M In
08-26-2023, 12:03 AM
Do you feel illegal hunting or bad political policies is the biggest detriment to wildlife we hunt?
Do you think better alignment of hunting seasons across all regions would be better to help distribute hunting pressures more evenly?
What is one thing you would like to see most hunters do better at out in the field?

Let me think more on it but I am sure I can think of more.

fearnodeer
08-26-2023, 07:14 AM
What can I do to help

Silvercore
08-26-2023, 07:54 AM
These are amazing questions!

J_T
08-26-2023, 08:04 AM
We hear about illegal bear harvests and the sale of bear parts. Glad to hear this is now not associated with law abiding hunters. Poaching is poaching.
Two questions:
1) Approximately how many illegal bear harvests and selling of bear parts are they addressing in a year. Or, how many investigations or sting operations are they involved with in a year.
2) What do the CO's feel is a logical deterrent against the illegal bear and unlicensed illegal harvesting of other wildlife?

tuner
08-26-2023, 11:46 AM
What is it like to try to enforce laws based on racial grounds?

264mag
08-26-2023, 12:02 PM
We have a CO in our family and I have some insight. First off the conservation officers today are not in it for the money, they are drastically underpaid. They have as much or more training than any other first responders. They do this for the lifestyle and the love for wildlife and conservation. This year they are dealing with more bears and bear related calls than any other year. This consumes the majority of their time.
They have to walk the fine line between enforcement, public pressure, government mandates, policies, and decisions that they have no control over. The hunting regulation/synopsis is very poorly written with many gray areas and leaves a lot of room for poachers and violators to get away with breaking the law. Even when they are convicted the punishments and consequences do not fit the crime. These issues are very frustrating for the Conservation officers. When you encounter a CO in the field treat them with respect, be honest, and remember they are there for us as much as they are for the wildlife. They are trained to educate not write tickets.

Bugle M In
08-26-2023, 01:59 PM
Do place your comments “strategically”.
Many questions could potentially put a CO in a difficult spot.
They may not be able to answer the questions “publicly” they way they might in private.
Leave the last question a “positive one”.
How we as hunters can help is a good one to finish with, imo.
Questions that show That hunters do care, and want to make it better is often overlooked.
We quite often fall into rants with CO’s and Bio’s.
Maybe they need more of our help on a political level!!???

caddisguy
08-26-2023, 04:10 PM
Why is the law not being enforced when it comes to illegal gates and blockades such as Squeah and North Emory Creek FSR?

It is illegal under the Wildlife Act to block access to lawful hunting. The Ministry and NRO have confirmed these gates are unlawful, but the law is not being enforced. Why?

Muledeercrazy2
08-26-2023, 05:22 PM
Why is the law not being enforced when it comes to illegal gates and blockades such as Squeah and North Emory Creek FSR?

It is illegal under the Wildlife Act to block access to lawful hunting. The Ministry and NRO have confirmed these gates are unlawful, but the law is not being enforced. Why?

because someone highly placed, likely even the minister, has given specific instructions to not enforce the law in regards to illegal fn blockades

caddisguy
08-26-2023, 07:02 PM
What is a typical day for a Conservation Officer? Is there such a thing?

Are there any common offenses that many hunters unknowingly commit?

Is there any specific operation, investigation or arrest that stands out to you as the most successful, rewarding or impactful in your career so far?

MichelD
08-26-2023, 10:01 PM
Do you think that the belief of some hunters that bears are killing too many of their fawns and moose calves is leading to many "kill and abandon" bear shootings?

Stew Pot
08-26-2023, 10:19 PM
How about as an ice breaker, or a final question to make them chuckle, how many slugs can we actually load into our pump action shotgun out in the bush!? It’s gotta be more than 2! Can we get the answer on the record!?

Stew Pot
08-26-2023, 10:22 PM
But also agree with what the average hunter can do to help with conservation. And what the most common infractions are and how to avoid them…

TimberPig
08-28-2023, 11:23 PM
How about as an ice breaker, or a final question to make them chuckle, how many slugs can we actually load into our pump action shotgun out in the bush!? It’s gotta be more than 2! Can we get the answer on the record!?

This is on page 12 of the current synopsis, 4th bullet point under Legal Hunting methods. No need for them to repeat what is already written.

Norwestalta
08-29-2023, 05:39 AM
I'd ask how his wife and my kids are? Then I'd ask can you loosen these cuffs off mister sir? In all reality my interactions with fish and feathers have been always good. They've got a job to do and I do my part to understand the regulations. I suppose I'd ask him what is happening with landowners being allowed to shoot grizzly bears on their property?

Bugle M In
08-29-2023, 08:27 AM
Here’s another one.
Do you all recall when they wanted to eliminate Xbox and the archery season up north?
Well, what I heard thru the grapevine (again, just what I heard), is that the CO at the table was “asked”:
”what change he would like to see”
Thats when he brought up the Xbox!
What I can’t recall anymore was, the why!??
It was either there was too many loaded bolts while driving and hunting.
Or, it was that they maybe too often used as the weapon of choice to poach?
(silent this can be fired inside dry limitscetc with no one hearing it)
Might be interesting to get his take on it.

hickman
08-29-2023, 11:37 AM
Thanks for this. I have a friend who is a CO. I have gone hunting with him. The stuff they have to deal with is crazy at times. The public only hears about the tip of the iceberg as far as poaching and other outdoor/ backcountry infractions go. Remember, they are just doing their job. And yes, they are not in it for the money. Just be friendly, respectful and help them do their job.

We have a CO in our family and I have some insight. First off the conservation officers today are not in it for the money, they are drastically underpaid. They have as much or more training than any other first responders. They do this for the lifestyle and the love for wildlife and conservation. This year they are dealing with more bears and bear related calls than any other year. This consumes the majority of their time.
They have to walk the fine line between enforcement, public pressure, government mandates, policies, and decisions that they have no control over. The hunting regulation/synopsis is very poorly written with many gray areas and leaves a lot of room for poachers and violators to get away with breaking the law. Even when they are convicted the punishments and consequences do not fit the crime. These issues are very frustrating for the Conservation officers. When you encounter a CO in the field treat them with respect, be honest, and remember they are there for us as much as they are for the wildlife. They are trained to educate not write tickets.

Silvercore
08-29-2023, 09:29 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions. I will incorporate them into the podcast as best I can. I’m really looking forward to this one!

MRP
08-30-2023, 08:22 AM
60 years of hunting and only seen a CO 4 or 5 times while out hunting.
But if you get to ask them that make up the laws, then I'll have lots questions.
Good luck on the podcast.

Bugle M In
08-30-2023, 09:13 AM
Let us know when it’s on

high horse Hal
08-30-2023, 09:22 AM
"Are you getting enough NDP support in the fight against invasive mussels from getting into and destroying our waterways"

are you getting enough ndp support for anything?

How often are you required to act as a peace officer instead of as a wildlife conservation officer?
What portion of your day is environment vs wildlife?

these guys have such a large umbrella over what they have for tasks, its amazing they even want to go to work in the mornings

300H&H
08-30-2023, 05:52 PM
I would ask....
If I was hunting and killed a moose but only took the loins...would I get a fine or loose my gun and hunting privileges ?
If this is so, WHY do you not also treat First Nation hunters the same ?

A little back ground to my question...
I was hunting close to Meritt on a FSR, and saw a truck approaching...we both stopped and talked about what we have seen.
He told me he stopped and talked to a truck with 4 FN hunters from the LML. They boasted they had killed 4 moose that morning. He looked in the bed of the truck and saw 2 hind quarters.
When asked where the rest was, they said the rest is for the coyotes.

Silvercore
09-04-2023, 01:01 PM
Silvercore Podcast 112 is set to release Tuesday Sept 12. Many of the questions posed here and elsewhere were asked. The CO, a friend, is an army vet, member of the Ojibwe Bear Clan and an all around great person. Given his background, he has a very unique perspective. This episode marks the first time a CO (at least in BC, perhaps Canada) has done a podcast and answered questions from the public. Thank you for helping with this project.

Travis Bader

caddisguy
09-04-2023, 03:16 PM
Silvercore Podcast 112 is set to release Tuesday Sept 12. Many of the questions posed here and elsewhere were asked. The CO, a friend, is an army vet, member of the Ojibwe Bear Clan and an all around great person. Given his background, he has a very unique perspective. This episode marks the first time a CO (at least in BC, perhaps Canada) has done a podcast and answered questions from the public. Thank you for helping with this project.

Travis Bader

Looking forward to that. Thank you Travis for putting these together and engaging HBC members.

Silvercore
09-06-2023, 10:05 AM
Looking forward to that. Thank you Travis for putting these together and engaging HBC members.

If the reception to this podcast is well received by the public and CO service, I will be recording another with a deeper dive into specific questions. Any help from the listeners to share and help promote this episode in a positive way will help a great deal to seeing this as a reality.

elch jager
09-06-2023, 10:46 AM
Had a nice chat with CO Chaytor in Region 3, spring a couple seasons back.

He was the kind of guy that you would be happy to have around your campfire and pick his brain for hours.
Avid hunter - very experienced and happy to share advice. Very professional, and a really nice guy.

# 1 call he gets is for problem Grizzly

#1 charge he delivers is illegal possession of black bear galls and penis...

We did not talk about the issue of FN abuses... but avoiding comment was as good as saying it is a big issue that frustrates the CO service.

Bugle M In
09-06-2023, 12:11 PM
Yup, the CO’s can’t comment on the FN issues publicly or give their personal opinion.
Unless you are good friends with them they won’t talk.
But yes, the lack of comment says it all.
Same when I talked to a R3 salmon Bio.
He didn’t want to talk about his thoughts either.
Buy when I brought up the Skeena closure of the past, he finally broke and and totally “political”!

browningboy
09-06-2023, 08:41 PM
I would ask....
If I was hunting and killed a moose but only took the loins...would I get a fine or loose my gun and hunting privileges ?
If this is so, WHY do you not also treat First Nation hunters the same ?

A little back ground to my question...
I was hunting close to Meritt on a FSR, and saw a truck approaching...we both stopped and talked about what we have seen.
He told me he stopped and talked to a truck with 4 FN hunters from the LML. They boasted they had killed 4 moose that morning. He looked in the bed of the truck and saw 2 hind quarters.
When asked where the rest was, they said the rest is for the coyotes.

what he said ^

stoneramhunter
09-06-2023, 08:47 PM
what he said ^

Im calling this story absolute bull shit. gas lighting a topic.

browningboy
09-07-2023, 05:18 AM
Im calling this story absolute bull shit. gas lighting a topic.

note: no one cares what you’re calling…and second quote what you call bs, I don’t have a “storey”

Getbent
09-10-2023, 06:57 PM
It is pathetic what we pay our CO’s… my son was looking into it at one point. He is taking a Batchelor of Environmental Studies (Natural Sciences) and the recoup on his investment in scholastic costs would take eons at the CO rate. It is so unfortunate that we don’t encourage our young people to get into this direction by allowing them to earn a decent living along with the “way of life” and caring for our outdoor environment.

j270wsm
09-10-2023, 08:51 PM
My sons girlfriend just started the conservation course at the college in lethbridge

Iron Glove
09-11-2023, 07:52 AM
It is pathetic what we pay our CO’s… my son was looking into it at one point. He is taking a Batchelor of Environmental Studies (Natural Sciences) and the recoup on his investment in scholastic costs would take eons at the CO rate. It is so unfortunate that we don’t encourage our young people to get into this direction by allowing them to earn a decent living along with the “way of life” and caring for our outdoor environment.

Way back in the '60's I was inspired by our High School Biology Teacher to consider becoming a Conservation Officer, Fisheries Biologist or something along that line. Loved fishing and the wilderness, sounded ideal. After 3 terms in University, favourite course was Ecology, ran out of money so got a decent paying job in the business world with the intent of working a year or two then getting back to University. Alas, things happen, having an income became nice and the salaries being paid in the "Bio" World simply didn't compare to what I was making in the Business World. Add in the number of years of further study, lack of income and such and it was, alas, a no brainer.
Still think back and wonder whether I made the right decision but the financial end of it simply didn't add up.
Yup, we have to make the "Environmental" jobs such as fisheries, Conservation and such more attractive to our younger folks, it's vital to our Hunting and Fishing heritage and the outdoors in general.

Silvercore
09-12-2023, 06:44 AM
Podcast is live. This took a great deal of effort from the CO to get the approval to record. If there is to be a round two with deeper questions and more involvement, that will depend on how this episode is received. By sharing the Silvercore Podcast with others, commenting on Apple Podcast and subscribing, it sends signals to the algorithm, and the guests who are involved, that the message is worthwhile and worth promoting. Those simple steps mean a great deal to the growth of any podcast.

I want to thank everyone here, as well the Silvercore Club members who contributed questions and helped shape this episode.

- Travis Bader

____

"Silvercore Podcast Ep. 112: Ojibwe Bear Clan / Conservation Officer - Ron Leblanc

This is the historic first time a BC Conservation Officer has spoken on a podcast. Ron is a 26 year veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces, having served twice in Afghanistan. Fittingly, Ron belongs to the Ojibwe Bear Clan which is known for being protectors of the people, community and the environment. Ron uses the opportunity to provide a unique perspective on the benefits and challenges faced by BC Conservation Service. Ron answers Silvercore Club members questions and provides a roadmap for those who wish to better understand how they can do their part to assist in the protection and conservation of our natural resources and insight into how you can become a C.O. "

You can find it on all the regular players here: https://link.chtbl.com/w1l9DKM1

Or watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhjx7JYwVTk