PDA

View Full Version : TRANSPORTING deer and elk from Alberta to Bc

Codyarnold
08-23-2023, 08:37 AM
Hey guys

I'm doing and elk and mule deer hunt in alberta this year and, I'm trying to find the regulations to transport game back into BC. Does anyone know where I can find this information.

THANKS

Mudsey
08-23-2023, 09:00 AM
It is in the BC Hunting Regulations synopsis on page 12. Item 50 under "It is unlawful"

Codyarnold
08-23-2023, 09:27 AM
It is in the BC Hunting Regulations synopsis on page 12. Item 50 under "It is unlawful"

Thanks
God I feel stupid couldn't find it in the regs to save my life

huntingfamily
08-23-2023, 10:21 AM

You mean Item 51

j270wsm
08-23-2023, 11:15 AM
Bone it out, boil the skull and bring it home.

j270wsm
08-23-2023, 01:46 PM
You mean Item 51

I believe 51 would only apply if you intend to use the antlers for rattling or should blade for raking.

goatdancer
08-23-2023, 02:37 PM
You'll also need a permit to export from Alberta.

Walking Buffalo
08-24-2023, 10:40 AM
You'll also need a permit to export from Alberta.

Alberta has a regulation that allows the hunting licence and tag to be used as the export permit.

goatdancer
08-24-2023, 12:27 PM
Alberta has a regulation that allows the hunting licence and tag to be used as the export permit.

I had to go to a government office and fill out a form that allowed me to transport my elk a few years ago. Have the rules changed? I haven't hunted in Alberta since then.

huntingfamily
08-24-2023, 12:59 PM
I had to go to a government office and fill out a form that allowed me to transport my elk a few years ago. Have the rules changed? I haven't hunted in Alberta since then.

I remember doing that too

Walking Buffalo
08-25-2023, 05:52 AM

The regs must have changed, right?

This has been the rule for quite a few years....

Alta Reg 143/1997 | Wildlife Regulation | CanLII (https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/regu/alta-reg-143-1997/latest/alta-reg-143-1997.html?searchUrlHash=AAAAAQANZXhwb3J0IHBlcm1pdA AAAAAB&offset=0&highlightEdited=true)

Exportation — s59(1)
21(1) Subject to subsection (2), a person who holds a licence under whose authority a black bear, deer, moose, elk, antelope or game bird has been killed, or who holds a non‑resident/non‑resident alien wolf/coyote licence under whose authority a coyote has been killed, is exempt from the application of section 59(1) of the Act if
(a) repealed AR 135/2020 s3,
(b) the animal is accompanied during its exportation by the person who killed it, and
(c) the person who killed it carries on his person the licence that authorized the killing.
(1.01) A person not covered by subsection (1) who lawfully kills a black bear, deer, moose, elk, antelope or game bird under an aboriginal treaty or other right that is protected by the Canadian Constitution is exempt from the application of section 59(1) of the Act if
(a) the animal is exported within 30 days after the date when it was killed, and
(b) the animal is accompanied during its exportation by the person who killed it.
(1.1) Coyote that were lawfully killed, except those hunted under the authority of a non‑resident/non‑resident alien wolf/coyote licence, are exempt from the application of section 59(1) of the Act.
(2) The exemption in subsection (1) or (1.01) in respect of a black bear applies only to a person who is exporting
(a) the red meat, other than the gall bladder or paws,
(b) the head or skull,
(c) the complete skin, including the claws, or
(d) a part of the skin that is processed
or all of them.