PDA

View Full Version : Ptarmigan?

George Wilkes
08-20-2023, 02:20 PM
I'm a bird-hunting tourist from northern MN hoping to chase some ptarmigan in region 4. I figured some of you sheep and goat hunters might be able to provide some intel on how to go about such a thing. I have a reasonable amount of experience with back-country wilderness hunting, and a bit of time hunting blues in grizzly country in MT. Any advice on where to find them or how to hunt them much appreciated. PM would be awesome.

George Wilkes
08-24-2023, 08:16 PM
Just for the record, I'm not asking for specific locations, just general info on where these birds are found. Kind of funny, I called the BC Fish and Wildlife office in Cranbrook and asked them for some general information about ptarmigan populations in region 4 and they said they couldn't give out any information because I was a hunter and they are "more about environmental preservation." They suggested I contact people in the "hunting community," specifically hunting websites like HuntingBC.

Hoping for some cool wet weather for ya'll.

Pioneerman
08-24-2023, 08:31 PM
Well now it is just a different bird but still in Grizzly country. I am not in that area why not ask the local sporting good store staff , when you buy your license and permits . Still 2.5 weeks until the Ptarmigan season there opens, should have time for local chats, good luck

Bustercluck
08-24-2023, 08:41 PM
I’m not in region 4 and can’t help you at all unless you want to hunt them in northern Alberta, but what exactly do you mean by ptarmigan? Are you referring to rock ptarmigan found up in the alpine? Or grouse found in the lower lying areas? Or something else?

Bustercluck
08-24-2023, 08:48 PM
https://images2.imgbox.com/94/b3/BKYSY0MK_o.jpeg (https://imgbox.com/BKYSY0MK)

mike31154
08-24-2023, 09:08 PM
Welp I've been stumbling around the backcountry of Region 8 for almost 20 years & have only spotted ptarmigan on 2 occasions. Region 8 borders Regions 3 & 4, I've hunted all these areas to a certain extent.

1st time I saw one was in the middle of winter while skiing at my local resort Silver Star Mountain. It was tucked in close to the base of a conifer well camouflaged in its winter attire. I'm thinking that was more than 10 years ago.

2nd encounter was just last year while I was out with my bow hunting deer before rifle season got underway, 1st week of September. No deer, oh dear, but I stumbled upon a pair ot the birds below the tree stand located up a creek feeding one of my favourite alpine lakes.

Both sightings at around 1600 meters altitude, mile high ;). I captured both on my phone camera. I was able to get very close & although they scurried away, neither time did they flush or take wing to escape. They are such cool birds.....

Here's a photo of last year's encounter. I got to within a yard of the critter & it was hardly phased, just kept scurrying along to keep what it considered a safe distance. Couple weeks later it would have been fair game but to be honest I doubt I would have taken one. They're simply not as abundant as grouse. I don't mind providing the location whatsoever as IMO finding a ptarmigan will be an exercise in pure luck. 8-13 which borders region 4 up in the Monashee Mountains.

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?resid=A0157E1B64909474%2146957&authkey=%21AHbhq1raVBN0wiM&width=1024

This is a view from the tree stand of the creek leading into the lake. The Ptarmigan were in the timber right below the stand.
https://onedrive.live.com/embed?resid=A0157E1B64909474%2145752&authkey=%21APvYTe2ynMvrr_E&width=1024

ACB
08-24-2023, 10:55 PM
I got one in 3-32 a number of years ago in Nov. that was all white, it actually had a pink hue to it. When I talked to Ganders and said it look like it was a little pinky he didn't believe me, but the proof was in the pudding. But after processing it lost that pink hue, I think it had that colour from eating red boxwood berries. It turned out perfect, I'v seen them there since but there wasn't very many of them in that area so we left them alone after that. They defiantly in high elevation.

ACB
08-24-2023, 10:59 PM
I think there are a couple different variations of Ptarmigan, Willow, and Rock.I could be wrong.

Bigdoggdon
08-25-2023, 12:02 AM
Welp I've been stumbling around the backcountry of Region 8 for almost 20 years & have only spotted ptarmigan on 2 occasions. Region 8 borders Regions 3 & 4, I've hunted all these areas to a certain extent.

1st time I saw one was in the middle of winter while skiing at my local resort Silver Star Mountain. It was tucked in close to the base of a conifer well camouflaged in its winter attire. I'm thinking that was more than 10 years ago.

2nd encounter was just last year while I was out with my bow hunting deer before rifle season got underway, 1st week of September. No deer, oh dear, but I stumbled upon a pair ot the birds below the tree stand located up a creek feeding one of my favourite alpine lakes.

Both sightings at around 1600 meters altitude, mile high ;). I captured both on my phone camera. I was able to get very close & although they scurried away, neither time did they flush or take wing to escape. They are such cool birds.....

Here's a photo of last year's encounter. I got to within a yard of the critter & it was hardly phased, just kept scurrying along to keep what it considered a safe distance. Couple weeks later it would have been fair game but to be honest I doubt I would have taken one. They're simply not as abundant as grouse. I don't mind providing the location whatsoever as IMO finding a ptarmigan will be an exercise in pure luck. 8-13 which borders region 4 up in the Monashee Mountains.

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?resid=A0157E1B64909474%2146957&authkey=%21AHbhq1raVBN0wiM&width=1024

Umm... This one's a Spruce (Franklin) Grouse

George Wilkes
08-25-2023, 06:47 AM
I will be pursuing the wily white-tailed ptarmigan at high elevation.

mike31154
08-25-2023, 11:17 AM
Umm... This one's a Spruce (Franklin) Grouse

Oh, my bad I guess. I assumed it was Ptarmigan as Grouse normally flush pretty quick when I'm much farther away than this. Ima hafta check out some photos. It was a couple, female scurried off farther before I could get a photo.

The patch of red over the eye is prominant. Here's one I saw up in a tree during a Moose hunt south of Vanderhoof. It didn't flush either, likely felt safe up on its perch.
https://onedrive.live.com/embed?resid=A0157E1B64909474%2131710&authkey=%21AL2nOLdzjfet8Cs&width=1024