PDA

View Full Version : Let’s talk late/mid season boots

RackStar
08-20-2023, 07:53 AM
Let’s hear what you guys are using for boots!?

I’ve been rockin scarpa kenisis for 6 years non insulated. Last November was frickin cold and I said I would add to my boot system. I figure I can get 1-2 more seasons out of mine so I’m looking for a insulated boot that I can still put miles on in search of elk and whitetail in November , but not freeze when I sit.

lets hear what boot(s) you guys are wearing from mid season 5c - -10c late oct and -10c - -30c november hunts. From stalking mule deer on the move , to sitting for that big whitetail.

How many grams insulation do you use and what temps do you find them good till?

I’ve been eyeing out schnees leather pacs but they might be too bulky, also looking at crispi wild rock 400g and wild rock plus 800g.

I’ve had my finger on the pay now button for 2 days with the crispis but can’t seem to feel confident on what ones to pick.

any info on late season boot systems would be great.

RyoTHC
08-20-2023, 10:13 AM
I’ve been running Zamberlan Toffanes for 5 years from mid Sept until December.
the only thing that changes is the thickness of my insole and sock.. later year gets a thinner insole and thicker sock.

never have cold or wet feet the boots have great ankle support. In fact I’m about to buy another identical pair so when this one eventually fails in a decade I’ll have another pair to start working on!

358mag
08-20-2023, 10:36 AM
Schnees Pack Boots my go to mid-lates season boots

RackStar
08-20-2023, 10:54 AM
So the schnees definitely appeal to me for whitetail hunting. I also enjoy still hunting for them as I’m like a squirrel and can’t sit still for long. How’s the mobility and feel for hiking around in the schnees?

ryo what temps are you dipping into and are you mostly mobile? Interesting tip , I’ve never thought of changing insoles.

DJK
08-20-2023, 11:02 AM
If I might piggyback another question onto this thread, any of you guys using EE boots? I’ve looked at a few boot websites but don’t see a lot of EE sizes.

RackStar
08-20-2023, 11:07 AM
More knowledge the better. Boots are friggin expensive and important

Husky7mm
08-20-2023, 04:46 PM
Rubber work boots like dunlops, with bama slippers. You’re in dirty berta now. The mud will ruin your nice leather boots.

RyoTHC
08-20-2023, 04:56 PM
So the schnees definitely appeal to me for whitetail hunting. I also enjoy still hunting for them as I’m like a squirrel and can’t sit still for long. How’s the mobility and feel for hiking around in the schnees?

ryo what temps are you dipping into and are you mostly mobile? Interesting tip , I’ve never thought of changing insoles.

longest I can sit still is 15-20 minutes so mostly mobile for sure, though that being said I have no problem wearing the same boots ice fishing in -10 to -15 and standing/sitting around for hours.

any colder and that and the hut and heater comes out so boots are a moot point.

RackStar
08-20-2023, 05:13 PM
Rubber work boots like dunlops, with bama slippers. You’re in dirty berta now. The mud will ruin your nice leather boots.

yup this friggin mud takes some getting use too, sticky , heavy clingy shit. Noted!

do you use leathers at all up here? Are you much of a whitetail hunter or just a elk assassin? Maybe I’ll try my dunlops this late season..

358mag
08-20-2023, 05:16 PM

My Schnee's Hunter II 13" Pac Boots with Air Bob soles are very comfortable , great traction on every surface . The are warm enuff for me down to -10 type weather if I'm doing the type still hunting you do . I've also have worn them on many a back packing trips great support and comfort . . If I'm sitting in a ground blind all day in colder weather I switch over to HD Felt lined Sorel Caribou boots .

Husky7mm
08-20-2023, 05:43 PM
yup this friggin mud takes some getting use too, sticky , heavy clingy shit. Noted!

do you use leathers at all up here? Are you much of a whitetail hunter or just a elk assassin? Maybe I’ll try my dunlops this late season..

I hunt all season long and scout year round. I wear semi leather work/hikers by Keen, but if its at all wet its just rubber boots. You get used to them. We have big swings in temps at night so there is always dew too. I paid good money for waterproof leather hikers and they all leaked, and the leather cracked. I sometimes wear insulated elk trackers in the late season when things are finally frozen.
I am currently running a pair of Alteras for work and play. They are lighter then dunlops, less money and made in Italy. I like them. I have run bogs and mucks but they spilt right were the rubber and neoprene meet if you put tons of miles on them.

If you are going to run rubber work boots buy them 1 size up and run a bama sock. Really great at keeping your feet dry and warm.

RackStar
08-20-2023, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I picked up the new sock fit dunlops for work couple months back, they are way easier to walk in than the OG ones. I’ll see how they feel in the bush. I usually wear bamas all year if walking lots to avoid blisters

Trekker
08-20-2023, 06:30 PM
I have the hoffman outback pacs and there awesome. Hoffman makes a very similar pac to the schnees. Made in Idaho. The outback model has an ankle strap for added stability on steep terrain, as well a shank. They hike really well and are very warm. A pac will never hike as well as an insulated mountain boot, but there is no comparison in warmth.