PDA

View Full Version : Reg question

kolofardos
08-17-2023, 08:22 PM
Why is it that regions 3-15, 3-16, 3-32 and 3-33 have a 4 point season listed from Sept 1 to Sept 9? If these 4 regions open early for 4 points, why does it not just say Sept 1 to Sept 30?

TheObserver
08-17-2023, 09:35 PM
Why is it that regions 3-15, 3-16, 3-32 and 3-33 have a 4 point season listed from Sept 1 to Sept 9? If these 4 regions open early for 4 points, why does it not just say Sept 1 to Sept 30?

Could be because they want to be clear and differentiate between the other MU's which have Archery any Buck for the first 10 days of Sept, but those ones you listed don't offer that and it is just 4 point or greater from the start of Sept

kolofardos
08-17-2023, 09:51 PM
Could be because they want to be clear and differentiate between the other MU's which have Archery any Buck for the first 10 days of Sept, but those ones you listed don't offer that and it is just 4 point or greater from the start of Sept
Thanks, I guess that makes sense. I also wonder why these areas open earlier. I wouldn't think there's an overabundance of deer in any of them, even the areas around Carpenter Lake.

TheObserver
08-17-2023, 09:57 PM
Thanks, I guess that makes sense. I also wonder why these areas open earlier. I wouldn't think there's an overabundance of deer in any of them, even the areas around Carpenter Lake.

Not sure i'm curious too, was going to start looking at some areas in these places scouting this year but with school and being broke I decided to just focus on new Blacktail areas.

I have spoken with Chris Proctor, the senior wildlife biologist for region 3 with some questions about region 3 Mulies before. He would be a good guy to ask, I enjoyed speaking with him seemed like a decent guy for sure.

TheObserver
08-18-2023, 08:58 AM

Maybe they think there are less Deer in these MU's, so they put in 4 point or better instead of an any Buck 10 day archery season

HappyJack
08-18-2023, 10:05 AM
They have a lot of regulations that are confusing, and sometimes make no sense at all. A lot of work could be done to simplify the regulations I am sure. It makes it hard if your doing a road hunt and end up going through several MU's in one trip. Plus it would help if the boundaries actually followed major waterways or roads.....

4 point
08-20-2023, 09:12 PM
Isn’t Sept. 1 to 9th just a youth season?

TheObserver
08-20-2023, 10:33 PM

For the MU's kolofardos listed it is yes, for the majority/rest of region 3 there is an archery any Buck Sep 1-9 as well as a youth season.

kolofardos
08-20-2023, 10:41 PM
No, for those 4 units, it's not a youth season, just an early 4 point season.

HarryToolips
08-21-2023, 07:21 AM
I could be wrong, but I believe they're offering the 4 pt season early in those specific WMU's because of the alpine mulie hunts offered in those specific zones, I'm assuming they are very popular hunts to many hunters, especially from the LML..

high horse Hal
08-21-2023, 08:00 AM
its easier to adjust restrictions than it is to fiddle with dates and whether a hunt is on or off
keeping something on the books, what ever it is, is the big hurdle to any opportunity
Juggling youth, archery, point restrictions are all adjustments

HappyJack
08-21-2023, 09:08 AM
I could be wrong, but I believe they're offering the 4 pt season early in those specific WMU's because of the alpine mulie hunts offered in those specific zones, I'm assuming they are very popular hunts to many hunters, especially from the LML..

They cut our annual mule deer limit from 2 animals to 1, so it seems at odds with having an early 4 pt season, are the mule deer numbers down or not? Or are there healthy herds in those zones?

HarryToolips
08-21-2023, 11:06 AM
They cut our annual mule deer limit from 2 animals to 1, so it seems at odds with having an early 4 pt season, are the mule deer numbers down or not? Or are there healthy herds in those zones?

I honestly don't know the answer as to whether or not #'s are down, or if they're healthy in those particular WMUs, but according to the last survey, mule deer #s in the whole of R3 are 'stable' (less than 20% change in the last 3 years is their criteria for 'stable' I believe).. there's a few hunters on this site that have done the early hunt in those zones I believe..

high horse Hal
08-21-2023, 03:04 PM
the 2 to 1 change was to appease Reg 3 hunters that participated in the Hunter Satisfaction Survey a few years ago
social change, not science based

HappyJack
08-22-2023, 07:09 AM
If that's the case why apply it in other regions? Definitely not science based, I agree 100%.