PDA

View Full Version : Mojo Lifespan?

Beachcomber
08-15-2023, 05:39 PM
I am curious what sort of durability others have experienced with their mojo decoys? I have been getting things out ahead of the coming season and one of my mojos has lost its mojo. Battery is charged and wiring looks fine. Guess it could be the switch. Anyone have a similar experience and were able to fix it? Wondering if after four seasons it is time to get a new one...

Livewire322
08-15-2023, 05:51 PM
I had one that lasted for three years or so, then it took a spill into the chuck and that was the end of it. I considered repairing it, and troubleshot back to the motor (battery was fine, as was the wiring, so it had to be the motor), but decided I had better uses of my time.

I replaced the dead mojo with a pair of mojos from Cabelas. They were on sale for a decent price, and I rationalized that I’d get six years out of a pair (run one for three years, then run the other when the first one died). Neither of them lasted a season and they didn’t even take a spill.
That is to say, good luck!

mikeman20
08-15-2023, 06:43 PM
The switch rusts right out if it gets wet, i removed it and used the wiring inside to create my own switch.

Expect it to last 6 trips tops unless it's nice and dry out.

Ron.C
08-15-2023, 06:47 PM
Had my 2 mallard mojo's for 7 years, exclusively used in saltwater and still going. As other have said, switch is the weak link. Very easily jumpered or replaced.

A little preventative maintenance goes a long way. If it gets wet inside, dry it at the end of the day. If it gets salt in it, need to get the salt out before it crystalized or shorts a components. A good dosing of electrical contact cleaner after use really helps.

I also now use a couple of the mojo rippler feeder decoys. They are awesome on blue bird days when she's flat calm.

Beachcomber
08-15-2023, 06:58 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I was looking on Youtube and noticed at least one guy cut out the switch and made a new circuit. The contacts used for the battery leads are also pretty wimpy. Must be a better way to make these things last, especially cuz they are not cheap. I am always getting it wet (its duck hunting). Was looking at just using a wind spinner and might get one regardless, but the virtue of the mojo is how it draws birds when conditions are not blowing. Will spend a bit more time on this and then will probably just get a new one. Thanks again.

silveragent
08-27-2023, 03:00 PM
practically disposable these days :(

Ron.C
08-27-2023, 04:00 PM
Must be a better way to make these things last, especially cuz they are not cheap.

I think this is the intended design concept behind most consumer products these days.

saskbooknut
08-27-2023, 04:13 PM
Switch is a pretty minor thing to fix.
If you have an old one with SLA battery, I found very inexpensive replacement at B&E Electronics.

lorneparker1
08-28-2023, 03:37 PM
If you remove the batteries, and battery pack I can get a few years out of them. they come on sale a fair bit and i consider them close to disposable

Beachcomber
08-29-2023, 04:29 PM
Switch is a pretty minor thing to fix.
If you have an old one with SLA battery, I found very inexpensive replacement at B&E Electronics.

Do you recall which one? Was it one of the round rocker-design types?

saskbooknut
08-29-2023, 07:22 PM
Do you recall which one? Was it one of the round rocker-design types?
Mine had a standard toggle on/off switch with a rubber boot. If you know your switch is bad, you could search online or take the switch out and head to an electronic supplier to match it.