PDA

View Full Version : Hunting up near Ft. St John area?

hunter11
12-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Hey guys and girls just wondering if anybody has some info about the hunting there when the season opens next fall. The 7B area around Sikanni? Pink Mt? I'm going for elk, bear and caribou since they all start around the same time. How's the roads up there? Is the access of fly in? Any info would help. Thanks.:mrgreen:

hunter11
12-09-2007, 07:10 PM
nobody has hunted there or what?

Bighorn hunter
12-09-2007, 07:13 PM
just tight lipped I guess

Thunderstix
12-09-2007, 07:14 PM
I hunted bison this year at Pink Mountain and did not see elk or moose but know for a fact that there are a ton there. I have seen lots of caribou on the highway around this area also. If you want boo with nice racks then go North of Fort Nelson.

hunter11
12-09-2007, 07:39 PM
THANKS GUYS,

I know there's probably lots of elk by sakanni. The only reason is all the bear,boo and elk seasons open up close to each other. Just wondering if anybody has harvested any of these early in the season? 7-49,7-42,etc.

elkdom
12-09-2007, 07:44 PM
There are 1000 nds of oil and gas exploration roads all the way from FT ST John to FT Nelson, the pink Mntn area is good for moose Aug 15 ,the area has agood amount of game, the first week of Moose is great if you only wish for any bull moose! The big boys are a little timid until they loose their velvet, old burns, willow meadows and near recent log cuts are always productive! elk are a lot more work early in the 6x6 seaaon, they tend to be in the high contry and if you dont know where to start it is a little tough!your first trip into that area is best to concentrate on bull moose, while your getting to know your way around glass the alpines near the tree line you should spot elk ! how you go about going up for one is your next big step. but there is a very good chace to get your meat moose, early morns, last lite, 330 am you have day lite, sunset near 10 pm, long days!! good luck!

Sikanni Stalker
12-09-2007, 07:46 PM
As stix said, there is tons of game up here. The critters were a little slow this year and high winter kill too, but the late season up in the mountains was as good as any. Early Elk are only in the 7-58 I think.Then the general opening is all over.Pink Mountain Rd. is the boundary for 7-58, but if you are going to the Sikkanni area it is good all the way from the highway to the continental divide. If you want to trail in or climb hills the hunting is great. the road guys are seeing alot less, but again the winter kill has hurt that mostly. If you have na idea of a more specific spot let me know I may be able to help.

hunter11
12-09-2007, 08:19 PM
I don't have a specific spot. My pops used to live in Hazelton,bc and saw lots of moose and bear. We decided if we head up north for elk,moose or bear then we'll try the areas above. We're trying to get out there a couple days after opening. Are most these roads vechile access? or ATV? Are there lots of private land around pink mt and sikanni? Not too sure of the area but it'd be nice to get some info prior to going there. It's a journey from Van. Thanks guys.:smile:

hunter1947
12-10-2007, 06:57 AM
Don't let anyone fool you hear. Up that way carries some of the best hunting in BC. Just make sure you have all the gear you need when going ,the most important thing is two quads ,good luck.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

CanuckShooter
12-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Don't let anyone fool you hear. Up that way carries some of the best hunting in BC. Just make sure you have all the gear you need when going ,the most important thing is two quads ,good luck.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Sure if you can afford the fuel !! :razz: By 2008 we should be paying over $1.50 a litre for diesel here....and over $2 up there......And don't forget to tell 'im...there are lots and lots of grizzly bears around Pink Mt. Don't for one minute believe the naysayers that tell you they are endangered !!

hunter1947
12-11-2007, 06:03 AM
Sure if you can afford the fuel !! :razz: By 2008 we should be paying over $1.50 a litre for diesel here....and over $2 up there......And don't forget to tell 'im...there are lots and lots of grizzly bears around Pink Mt. Don't for one minute believe the naysayers that tell you they are endangered !! CanuckShooter ,you got that right ,
grizzly bear population is on the increase BC ,i have seen more grizzlies in the last few years in the EK then i have ever seen ,they need to open up a one week season for them and thin them out a bit.

hunter11
12-13-2007, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the update. Cheers.