PDA

View Full Version : Peace region elk

bctrailblazer
08-11-2023, 04:19 PM
Hi all,

Looking for some input from guys who elk hunt in the Peace. Ive found an area that looks good on fatmaps with rolling hills and lots of rivers/creeks and i'm trying to gauge the best week to be up there for peak rut/calling. Thinking either second or third week of sept. The advantage of 3rd week is it opens for antlerless and am primarily going for meat, but would still prefer a smaller bull. I know temperature and weather play a roll in their amount of activity, but which week typically brings the most action up there in your experience? Appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Alex

RackStar
08-11-2023, 04:47 PM
Turns into a shit show up here when cows open up. As for bugling. Any time during September when they feel like it. Ghost town turns into party at the snap of the fingers.

tinhorse
08-11-2023, 04:51 PM
I've called them in from August 29 all the way in late October. You're good either week, as long as the elk play along !

bctrailblazer
08-12-2023, 04:37 PM
Planning to hike in a fair ways, so hopefully can tap into some areas they haven't been disturbed too much

bctrailblazer
08-12-2023, 04:41 PM
I've called them in from August 29 all the way in late October. You're good either week, as long as the elk play along !

Yeah I was also considering going opening day before the hunting pressure starts setting in, but I think that first week would likely be hotter than I'd like.

RackStar
08-12-2023, 05:27 PM
Makes for really long days on opener. Most action will be before 10am and then right before dark. Bulls are curious and reply easier sometimes before hearing 1000 bugles a day from hunters. Makes getting the meat out in the heat tough also if your far from the road

RackStar
08-12-2023, 05:30 PM
Last year the fires got us evacuated sept 3

Husky7mm
08-12-2023, 06:56 PM
Planning to hike in a fair ways, so hopefully can tap into some areas they haven't been disturbed too much

I am doubtful a place like that exists. The advice so far has been good, anytime in late aug through oct, some years they are on, some years not so much. Depends on the dynamic of the bull to cow and the age structure of the area.
If you are not familiar with the area you will need time or luck to hone in on the honey holes.

bctrailblazer
08-13-2023, 01:32 PM
Thanks, will keep all that in mind. I've pre pinned some north east facing benches with creeks running through that look good, so will start there.

todbartell
08-13-2023, 03:47 PM
I feel the best hunting is in the first week of September before the cows come into estrous.

bctrailblazer
08-13-2023, 05:06 PM
I feel the best hunting is in the first week of September before the cows come into estrous.

Interesting, you don't find the heat makes them bed down too early?

Husky7mm
08-13-2023, 05:08 PM
Elk in the peace are not always in the cut blocks or farm fields or pipelines. Aspen laden river valleys are a good place to call and hunt. Good luck, I live on the Alberta side and there is fine elk hunting here, I would expect similar success over on the BC side too.

todbartell
08-13-2023, 05:19 PM
Interesting, you don't find the heat makes them bed down too early?

Yes, it can really shut down the evening hunts until it's too dark to make a play. But the bulls will be more likely to be without a group of cows, compared to mid to late September. It's a lot easier, A LOT easier, to call in a lone bull, than it is to break a bull away from some cows. Especially if you are going to try and call one in from a distance. To call in a bull with cows, you'll either have to get in fairly tight to them for him to come take a look (which means more eyes and noses to deal with) or you'll have to call in the cows first and the bull will follow them in and maybe offer a shot.) Some of my most memorable call-ins has been those first few days of September. Once the majority of the cows have been bred (Sept 20-26?) then the bulls will start moving around on their own looking for any cows that haven't been bred. A little blip of rut activity can be experienced in October, but it's nothing like the peak of the rut

My .02$!

Ferenc
08-13-2023, 06:36 PM
The ones that are sounding off in the middle of the night in that first week I find are the ones you want to target .. get on him as early as you can in legal light .. them hot day days make the early morning window short ... and if you can’t see ... don’t call .. they ( these ones calling during the night ) can come in like a freight train.

bctrailblazer
08-13-2023, 09:44 PM
Yes, it can really shut down the evening hunts until it's too dark to make a play. But the bulls will be more likely to be without a group of cows, compared to mid to late September. It's a lot easier, A LOT easier, to call in a lone bull, than it is to break a bull away from some cows. Especially if you are going to try and call one in from a distance. To call in a bull with cows, you'll either have to get in fairly tight to them for him to come take a look (which means more eyes and noses to deal with) or you'll have to call in the cows first and the bull will follow them in and maybe offer a shot.) Some of my most memorable call-ins has been those first few days of September. Once the majority of the cows have been bred (Sept 20-26?) then the bulls will start moving around on their own looking for any cows that haven't been bred. A little blip of rut activity can be experienced in October, but it's nothing like the peak of the rut

My .02$!

Very interesting, making me re consider. I'm kind of new at calling too and only have a few of the sounds down so may be easier to pull a lone bull in

bctrailblazer
08-13-2023, 09:46 PM
The ones that are sounding off in the middle of the night in that first week I find are the ones you want to target .. get on him as early as you can in legal light .. them hot day days make the early morning window short ... and if you can’t see ... don’t call .. they ( these ones calling during the night ) can come in like a freight train.

Ah cool, very good to know thx

HappyJack
08-14-2023, 08:46 AM
I've heard that sacrificing a virgin the day before your elk hunt will up your odds of success too. jk

Don't worry too much about your bugles, I can't recall how many bulls answered me when I was new and still practicing my bugles. Apparently they aren't to particular sometimes.

bctrailblazer
08-14-2023, 05:58 PM
I've heard that sacrificing a virgin the day before your elk hunt will up your odds of success too. jk

Don't worry too much about your bugles, I can't recall how many bulls answered me when I was new and still practicing my bugles. Apparently they aren't to particular sometimes.

Haha maybe I'll try that for the last day. Yeah I've got a few sounds down and managed to bring in a couple last year. They just held up and wouldn't come those last few yards

HappyJack
08-15-2023, 06:34 AM
Haha maybe I'll try that for the last day. Yeah I've got a few sounds down and managed to bring in a couple last year. They just held up and wouldn't come those last few yards

If they hold up you may as well go in after them and see if you can get them in your sights. Watch the wind direction and go slow if they are real close.

Bentoven1
08-15-2023, 07:05 AM
What calling strategies do you experienced guys like to use in that first week of September ? Sounds like a lot of guys just bugle only to locate and use the cow call to bring them in?

Husky7mm
08-15-2023, 10:46 AM

The bull has gotten close enough that he expects to hear elk noises, or see an elk. If you are calling from the open that can also happen. Its best to call with 2 people, having the shooter out in front of the caller, if this is not possible because you are alone, call to determine what way the elk is coming and then move his way 50-100m and be quiet for a bit, he seems to know exactly where you first called from. Some people only bugle, some only cow call, some have no success at all because they don’t have any realistic sounds or emotions put into it. Practise in the truck all the time whilst driving. Some elk take an hour or more to come in and its silent. Its hardly every really over. Some bulls are so fired up they will almost come to any squeal and also run you right over.

bctrailblazer
09-04-2023, 03:36 PM
If they hold up you may as well go in after them and see if you can get them in your sights. Watch the wind direction and go slow if they are real close.

Yeah maybe being more aggressive would have been the way. They came in to within 30 yards but it was so thick that even that was enough to hide them. Might have sealed the deal the next day if we hadn't called in a grizzly. We got out of there after that and didn't go back.

bctrailblazer
09-04-2023, 03:46 PM
Anyone have any reports as to the smoke situation in the peace right now? There's smaller fires burning near the areas I planned originally but they are under control, I'm worried the smoke from the big fire burning north east of pink mountain might be too intense. Are there any areas where the smoke isn't as bad right now? Thanks

KodiakHntr
09-04-2023, 06:24 PM
Naw it’s fine up here smoke-wise.

Blows in from the okanagan occasionally, but comes and goes pretty quick. Donny Fire isn’t that big of a deal currently.

bctrailblazer
09-04-2023, 07:14 PM
Naw it’s fine up here smoke-wise.

Blows in from the okanagan occasionally, but comes and goes pretty quick. Donny Fire isn’t that big of a deal currently.

Thanks! ...