PDA

View Full Version : Let’s hear your pack setups for this season and experience so far with it.

SMH1990
08-09-2023, 09:00 PM
Currently running an Eberlestock F1 mainframe with a Vapor 7500 and 2 batwings in doppelgänger mountain camo with a 3L hydro bladder . Not a ton of experience with a variety of brands but have yet to be let down by this setup .

HarryToolips
08-09-2023, 09:14 PM
I too run the Eberlestock F1 mainframe, along with I believe it's call F65 littlebigtop bag, or something like that, then for the backpack hunts/camps, I also use the J2DB dry bag, setup works fine for me, I've packed out quite a few heavy loads, the only thing I've had to replace is the front buckle, and I've had the setup for 6-7 years now, so quite reliable..

SMH1990
08-09-2023, 09:48 PM
Good to hear someone else having positive experience with this setup. They recently did a break test series on YouTube for all of their packs . The F1 mainframe had 1300lbs strapped to it and wouldn’t break. Well built and worth a watch.

sako79
08-09-2023, 09:50 PM
Im running a kifaru muskeg large. Will be my second season. Super comfortable, even better with the more weight you put in it.

savage10
08-09-2023, 09:51 PM
I got a Badlands MRK6 on sale last year. Got to put it to the test packing out my first bear this spring and it did pretty good. So far pretty happy with it considering it was half the price as most other packs in that size range. I’ve never used another pack so I can’t really comment on how it compares to others.

Just bought the girlfriend a mystery ranch metcalf for our upcoming elk/deer hunts. Hopefully we get to test it out.

TheObserver
08-09-2023, 11:02 PM
Kifaru Fulcrum with duplex lite frame, will be getting the stryker xl as well to switch out but only had enough money for one bag so went with the bigger so I can compress down or do two weeks heavy on the minimalist. 3 back pack scouting trips with it so far two 2 nighters and one 3 nighter. ~6 hours to get to one spot, ~12 hours to another and a day and a half to next (probably won't take that route again) through brutal stuff Region 2. Had some chafing on waist and chest where shoulder straps run across, not sure if this is normal break in but i'm young so don't care.

No game in it yet, bought late May I think.

SR80
08-10-2023, 05:50 AM
Exo K4 5000 for me this year, been using it since spring when they were released. I was a long time SG user, and had a couple different kifaru setups. For me, kifaru had a nice belt, but i hated their bag designs. Big floppy strappy messes, with terrible lids. SG was second comfortable for me, but their bag designs were the best and my favorite so i sacrificed comfort to bag layout and function-ability.

The exo K4 in my opinion is a mix between the two, really comfortable belt and frame, and well designed/functional bags. The load shelf is also the easiest and fastest to get into than any other pack, although i was never a fan of the load shelf, i always put meat inside the bag, I tried the load shelf once on the SG only and didnt really like it. I will be utilizing it with the K4 this year. Big fan of it, great company and great guys.

Greenthumbed
08-10-2023, 06:17 AM
Mystery Ranch NICE frame with CrewCab bag for day hunts and the Metcalf for overnight trips. I’ve been uses this setup for 6 years, I’ve pack a fair bit of meat.
It isn’t the lightest setup, but man, it’s bomber and I know it well.

Redthies
08-10-2023, 06:48 AM
I have a mid size Osprey for a day pack. Super comfy, carries weight amazingly well. I have a monstrous MEC pack that I’ve used on longer trips, but haven’t packed an animal on it. This year I may need a meat packer, but not sure what I’m going to do for that.

mod7rem
08-10-2023, 07:59 AM
I’ve been using a custom Mchale Critical Mass ll since 2011 for all my backpack hunts and using it as a meat hauler for other hunts. It’s extremely comfortable, well designed and durable. Mine is made almost entirely of solid Dyneema fabric. The design is for mountaineering so it’s meant to haul very heavy loads and then can be adjusted to use as a summit pack. I have hauled a lot of animals with it and other than being dirty and fading, I can’t find any damage anywhere. I’ve never had a broken buckle, torn strap.
it cost me a lot of money in 2011, but I’m pretty sure it will outlast me and I have no plans on replacing it unless it somehow gets destroyed or stolen. If that happened I would want to replace it with another one.

KodiakHntr
08-10-2023, 09:12 AM
Started out with a Mystery Ranch 6400/crewcab/longbow combo and packed meat with all of them and did multi day trips. Tough packs, but heavy. Tried a Barney external, as well as a Kifaru. Transitioned to Stone Glacier 7400 with a krux frame for a few years, hauled a handful of moose and elk out with that. Bought the X Curve frame last year, so far only has a moose and a 10 day trip on it as well as a few other heavy trips last year, and a 10 day trip/ half a ram this year so far. Meat shelf works pretty well, but I did send a nasty letter to SG stating that their packs do NOT make moose quarters feel like bags of feathers on your back despite what their marketing team indicates.

Hunting buddy did break a carbon stay in his krux frame, but to be fair he’d been packing a 127 lb fossil up a 70% slope for a km and the stay broke when we dropped the pack on the ground getting it off his back. He’s gone to an X Curve as well now.

Between the two of us we are better than 1200lbs (I weigh everything and keep notes) hauled on X Curves, no chafing or sores yet.

SMH1990
08-10-2023, 09:10 PM
Thanks for all the experiences and details. We all remember what it was like to choose a pack and no company lists its weaknesses/common problems .
Hopefully this will be another tool to help some new hunters or experienced hunters looking for something to replace their current setup based on specific personal needs, based on real world applications. Thanks everyone and keep them coming.

Bustercluck
08-10-2023, 11:30 PM
I’m running a mystery ranch marshall(guide lite frame)with a kifaru gun bearer. I have a few things on my waist belt like a water bottle holder and bear spray, but the bag is pretty much stock.

Heavy but comfy. Mystery ranch seems to handle heavy loads well. I don’t want to say it gets more comfortable with the heavier it is, but it sure doesn’t hit a point where weight becomes unbearable like some other bags.

SR80
08-11-2023, 05:50 AM
The old MR NICE frame with a 6500 is an amazing pack, it was my first expedition style pack. But the UL bug caught me eventually and i jumped to SG. Those Nice frame were so damn comfy, but at almost 9.5lbs shes a bit overkill.

Dropping a fully loaded SG pack seems to be the demise of their carbon stays, either with them breaking and or blasting out the top of the pockets that they sit inside. Their belts chaf me pretty bad when hauling meat, and i dont like how their frame barrels so easy.

Bustercluck
08-11-2023, 07:38 AM
The old MR NICE frame with a 6500 is an amazing pack, it was my first expedition style pack. But the UL bug caught me eventually and i jumped to SG. Those Nice frame were so damn comfy, but at almost 9.5lbs shes a bit overkill.

Dropping a fully loaded SG pack seems to be the demise of their carbon stays, either with them breaking and or blasting out the top of the pockets that they sit inside. Their belts chaf me pretty bad when hauling meat, and i dont like how their frame barrels so easy.
My hunting partner ripped one of the straps off of his stone glacier last year. It had something to do with using their rifle sling system. He’s borrowing a metcalf this year so it’ll be interesting to hear his comparison.

sako79
08-11-2023, 08:27 AM
i originally bought a sg sky 5900. There was a great pack except I just could not get it to fit correctly. The company was awesome they phoned me and even sent Different stays but I could not get it to fit come to believe with weight. Switch over to the kifaru And for me it was a Huge improvement.

GROOTSKY
08-11-2023, 08:45 AM
Headed out in a few hours for a two night goat hunting trip, will be using a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45. First time out with this pack, I mounted a gunboot off of the lower middle straps & will use the existing horizontal straps around the stock. Very stable setup just a little farther from my back than I would like to have.

hickman
08-11-2023, 11:09 AM
Old school setup. Serratus Superguide pack I got for free in blue and purple with Serratus side pockets. Could probably blow that thing up to 120L.
Not willing to pay $800 for a pack that might or might not be marginally better. Carried a few deer out of remote backcountry in that thing!

Gianni2507
08-12-2023, 05:49 PM
Exo K4 5000 for me this year, been using it since spring when they were released. I was a long time SG user, and had a couple different kifaru setups. For me, kifaru had a nice belt, but i hated their bag designs. Big floppy strappy messes, with terrible lids. SG was second comfortable for me, but their bag designs were the best and my favorite so i sacrificed comfort to bag layout and function-ability.

The exo K4 in my opinion is a mix between the two, really comfortable belt and frame, and well designed/functional bags. The load shelf is also the easiest and fastest to get into than any other pack, although i was never a fan of the load shelf, i always put meat inside the bag, I tried the load shelf once on the SG only and didnt really like it. I will be utilizing it with the K4 this year. Big fan of it, great company and great guys.

I'm still humming and hawing about pulling the trigger on a K4... lots of money for a backpack.. do you think you would use it as a backpacking-pack as well for all kinds of summer scouting or just general hikes? What are your Impressions of the 5000 size?

SR80
08-13-2023, 05:29 AM
i originally bought a sg sky 5900. There was a great pack except I just could not get it to fit correctly. The company was awesome they phoned me and even sent Different stays but I could not get it to fit come to believe with weight. Switch over to the kifaru And for me it was a Huge improvement.

My buddy had a similar experience with the SG, he hated it! Loves his kifaru though.

SR80
08-13-2023, 05:30 AM
I'm still humming and hawing about pulling the trigger on a K4... lots of money for a backpack.. do you think you would use it as a backpacking-pack as well for all kinds of summer scouting or just general hikes? What are your Impressions of the 5000 size?

Yah of course, I use mine almost every two days when i take my dog for hikes. 5K seems like a great size, compacts down nice for day hunting and im guessing i could get 10 days out of this pack.

RackStar
08-13-2023, 07:31 AM
MR metcalf for me. Love the pack , great for day trips or 10 days if I put my drybag of food in the meat shelf. Packed out some critters seems to handle weight good. It’s a bit heavier than others but i feel it translates to strength. This will be its 6th season this year

Bullreaper
08-13-2023, 07:44 AM
Exo K4 5000. Have been running it since they came out, for training and scouting hikes. Already have a ton of miles on it anywhere from 15-70lbs, it’s been awesome. Very comfortable. Nalgene holder is next level feature. Equal to kifaru in comfort, with a way better and simpler bag design. Highly recommend. If your on the fence, just buy one, you will not regret it.

RackStar
08-13-2023, 07:53 AM
Those exo k4 5000 sure look well thought out. If my MR ever dies I will be looking at that. I like how the bag opens right up so you don’t have to have a yard sale everytime you need in you pack.

decker9
08-13-2023, 08:33 AM
I’m running an old Kifaru DT1 bag that I bought in 2011, Iv upgraded frames as they come though. I really wish the reckoning had another 1000ci in the main bag, it’s right on the boarder line of fitting a camp + ram comfortably, it does have the shelf, but a full shelf plus bag isn’t a fun load. it would defiantly be my go to for these longer trips with that center zip.

This next trip will be the first trip in a lot of years that iv packed for only myself. Iv always had a dog, my gf, my daughter, or all 3, which changes the plans and pack weight entirely. Most trips I sit about 65-75 pounds for 10 days, I think I’ll be about 55lb all in except water for this trip.

Bullreaper
08-13-2023, 08:43 AM
I’m running an old Kifaru DT1 bag that I bought in 2011, Iv upgraded frames as they come though. I really wish the reckoning had another 1000ci in the main bag, it’s right on the boarder line of fitting a camp + ram comfortably, it does have the shelf, but a full shelf plus bag isn’t a fun load. it would defiantly be my go to for these longer trips with that center zip.

This next trip will be the first trip in a lot of years that iv packed for only myself. Iv always had a dog, my gf, my daughter, or all 3, which changes the plans and pack weight entirely. Most trips I sit about 65-75 pounds for 10 days, I think I’ll be about 55lb all in except water for this trip.

I’ve been running the DT1 for years, retired it this year when I got my K4. It’s a great bag, by far my favourite by kifaru. A lot of miles and a lot of heavy loads with that thing. It’s too bad they discontinued it. I called them last year and asked if they would resurrect it and sew me up a new one, cause I ripped the shelf on the inside of the bag and got a small tear on the bag itself, but that was a no go. They did offer me to send them back my old one and they would refurbish it, still might do that.

Bado20
08-13-2023, 08:52 AM
I’m running a SG Sky 5900 on the xcurve frame. Also have the quick release sling and Nalgene sling on it. Really like it, it fits me really well and has handled weight well with no chafing or pinch points even when loaded down. I like the simple bag layout. I’m curious about the K4 but at this point my SG does everything I want it too while remaining very light so unless something changes I won’t switch.

Redthies
08-13-2023, 09:14 AM
I like how the bag opens right up so you don’t have to have a yard sale everytime you need in you pack.

I used to have that option in a Dana Designs pack I had years ago that some shit rat stole. It was amazing to be able to lay it down and open up to grab whatever you need.

decker9
08-13-2023, 10:38 AM
I’ve been running the DT1 for years, retired it this year when I got my K4. It’s a great bag, by far my favourite by kifaru. A lot of miles and a lot of heavy loads with that thing. It’s too bad they discontinued it. I called them last year and asked if they would resurrect it and sew me up a new one, cause I ripped the shelf on the inside of the bag and got a small tear on the bag itself, but that was a no go. They did offer me to send them back my old one and they would refurbish it, still might do that.

I’m always on the lookout for their gen2 bag, it’s suppose to have a bit bigger front and side pockets, those are my only gripe with my bag, but not really even a gripe, their still usable. I had a whole ram and camp in the DT1 a few years back, with a little room (not weight) to spare. I find the dimensions of the bag about perfect. I tried a AMR years ago, though a super nice bag, it was so big a round it felt like it put a lot of weight out behind me. The DT1 is a good balance between length depth and width.

sako79
08-13-2023, 11:43 AM
I really do love my kifaru. But looking at buying it now with all my accessories it would be over $2300. If I were to do it again right now I would seriously look at the exo k4. It is quite a bit cheaper.
And I've heard very good things about it.

jwcuell
08-13-2023, 08:08 PM
10 years and counting on a Mystery Ranch Nice/Metcalf combo. Only get frustrated when I have to pack it around for two weeks without meat.

Darksith
08-13-2023, 09:56 PM
Thanks for all the experiences and details. We all remember what it was like to choose a pack and no company lists its weaknesses/common problems .
Hopefully this will be another tool to help some new hunters or experienced hunters looking for something to replace their current setup based on specific personal needs, based on real world applications. Thanks everyone and keep them coming.

There are several "wreck em" videos out there that do their best to destroy packs. Can't go wrong with Stone Glacier, Kifaru or Mystery Ranch.

I personally run a Kifaru Cavern with the guide lid. I don't really love how the meat shelf is designed with this pack. I will just put the meat inside my pack but that gets challenging if you have a full pack lol

mddat
08-13-2023, 10:20 PM
Started with a SG 5900 with straight stays when they first came out, couldn’t keep it from sliding down, then went to a Kifaru which the frame fit awesome but tried a few bags and hated them all, best setup I had was a Exo bag I fitted to the Kifaru frame but wasn’t ideal. Then had a mystery ranch marshal for about 2 months, extremely uncomfortable for my body, I’ve now gone back to a SG 6900 with X curve frame and pretty happy with it. The bag compresses down really small but still have plenty of room for extended trips. Only complaint is lack of pockets but I’m use to it now. Used it on a 13 day stone sheep hunt recently and worked well, partner and I ended up each getting rams so got to pack a full sheep plus gear, not sure any pack out there would feel good for that but it held up pretty well. The Exo 4K looks like a great pack, seems well thought out, I’m interested in trying it or a SG terminus 8700 with internal load shelf