View Full Version : Williston lake hunting, 7-29

hunter fisher
08-09-2023, 03:57 PM
Headed up for a moose draw next month on the west side of williston lake in MU 7-29. Havent had the draw for a handful of years and wondering if any one here has had it in recent years?
very curious to know the condition of the area!!

TIA

moosinaround
08-09-2023, 04:51 PM
Very heavily logged! Busy traffic, and rough roads. Was up that way last fall! Good hunting to ya! Moosin

Jrax
08-09-2023, 06:14 PM
i was up in 7-29 in late winter. I saw healthy number moose and other areas with fresh sign as well as rubs from the fall. It appeared to be a wintering area. However, it was refreshing to see so much. We did not see wolf activity in the area which was nice.

hunter fisher
08-10-2023, 09:48 AM
Very heavily logged! Busy traffic, and rough roads. Was up that way last fall! Good hunting to ya! Moosin

Yes i saw on the satellite maps that it sure looks different! hopefully has not disturbed the moose population!

thanks for your reply moosin. You probably dont remember but about 10 years ago you gave me some advice on 7-26, and because of your advice i killed my first moose ever! your a real beaut!

hunter fisher
08-10-2023, 09:51 AM
i was up in 7-29 in late winter. I saw healthy number moose and other areas with fresh sign as well as rubs from the fall. It appeared to be a wintering area. However, it was refreshing to see so much. We did not see wolf activity in the area which was nice.

great to hear a positive report on the area! there are definitely moose around there in the fall. me and my group pulled 3 bulls out last time we had the draw. it was the hunt of a lifetime, hoping we can make magic happen again

really appreciate the reply! thanks!

browningboy
08-10-2023, 09:58 AM
Great area, watch out for the mining trucks on the main road, we camped out between Nation and Curve lake, good amount of moose in there. Nation River is a nice place to camp but also you'll see lots of gravel pits along the roads to make camp as well, lots of bears if you're interested! Best time is early October but best of luck!

Arctic Lake
08-10-2023, 10:34 AM
You probably already have this but get a BRMB . Find the pages that pertain to 7-29 and get them blown up from BRMB online , or visit them in Port Coquitlam . I have heard some big moose come out of there.
Arctic Lake
Headed up for a moose draw next month on the west side of williston lake in MU 7-29. Havent had the draw for a handful of years and wondering if any one here has had it in recent years?
very curious to know the condition of the area!!

TIA

HappyJack
08-11-2023, 08:22 AM
Quite a few years ago we were in that area and some poor guy was driving out, someone had smashed all his windows and lights out of his vehicle. I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with the locals up there lately but you should be aware stuff happens sometimes.

browningboy
08-11-2023, 08:52 AM
Quite a few years ago we were in that area and some poor guy was driving out, someone had smashed all his windows and lights out of his vehicle. I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with the locals up there lately but you should be aware stuff happens sometimes.

I've heard of several times camps getting robbed and vandalism, closer you are to FT Ware then beware

hunter fisher
08-11-2023, 02:55 PM
I've heard of several times camps getting robbed and vandalism, closer you are to FT Ware then beware

yea your right, fortware has a brutal reputation. Thankfully we are probably still atleast a 12 hour drive away from them, they are north of tseh kay dene.

.330 Dakota
08-11-2023, 08:02 PM
I have heard that if you stop in at the FT Ware band office and ask for permission to hunt in their traditional territory, they leave you alone,,drop off a big box of candy for the kids as a gift,,respect goes a long way

hunter fisher
08-11-2023, 10:35 PM
I have heard that if you stop in at the FT Ware band office and ask for permission to hunt in their traditional territory, they leave you alone,,drop off a big box of candy for the kids as a gift,,respect goes a long way

10 hour drive each way from where we camp to fortware... we will definitely not be making that trip!!

RackStar
08-12-2023, 07:25 AM
^^ makes you wonder what interaction has happened before people’s windows are smashed out and camps burned down. I have some property in that direction (ish) , I treat everyone with kindness and respect and never have issues. Maybe I’m just lucky?

know of someone who lived in fort ware while working and was invited to go hunt with the locals. Act like an entitled POS you’ll probably be treated like one.

hunter fisher
08-12-2023, 09:27 PM
^^ makes you wonder what interaction has happened before people’s windows are smashed out and camps burned down. I have some property in that direction (ish) , I treat everyone with kindness and respect and never have issues. Maybe I’m just lucky?

know of someone who lived in fort ware while working and was invited to go hunt with the locals. Act like an entitled POS you’ll probably be treated like one.

theres very bad blood between the fortware indian band and the government. From what i understand, there was no consultation with them before the government flooded the valley that is now williston lake for the hydro dam. Smaller villages in the valley were completely flooded out, and in time, bones of their ancestors floated up from sacred burial grounds and washed ashore on the lake. The band is famous for hating pale faces. This is how it was explained to me last time i was there chatting with some locals. In my previous experience up there, we have had very little contact with the locals, as its 7 hours to the nearest reservation, but all we encountered were either neutral or positive.

hunter fisher
08-25-2023, 11:17 AM
Great area, watch out for the mining trucks on the main road, we camped out between Nation and Curve lake, good amount of moose in there. Nation River is a nice place to camp but also you'll see lots of gravel pits along the roads to make camp as well, lots of bears if you're interested! Best time is early October but best of luck!

thanks for the reply! we drag a trailer and the road into curve lake is a little steep, but we did camp pretty close to there last year!

GreyDog
08-26-2023, 07:02 AM
It has been many years since I was in Ft. Ware, but I found the residents there to be welcoming and friendly. Now, this might have been because I came into town from the north, on foot. My first interaction was with a young kid who , when he saw me said, "Where you been Uncle?"
I was fed and lodged. I was invited to a meeting of the elders and fed some more. I was given a ride out to Prince George in the school van. Like many remote northern communities, there is the potential for good and bad there. Most of the visitors I saw were people with their snouts deep into the government trough.
I saw no moose but did see elk and grizzlies. In general, it seemed, if you were within snowmobile range of Ft. Ware, there wasn't a lot of game. GD

hunter fisher
08-30-2023, 12:08 PM
It has been many years since I was in Ft. Ware, but I found the residents there to be welcoming and friendly. Now, this might have been because I came into town from the north, on foot. My first interaction was with a young kid who , when he saw me said, "Where you been Uncle?"
I was fed and lodged. I was invited to a meeting of the elders and fed some more. I was given a ride out to Prince George in the school van. Like many remote northern communities, there is the potential for good and bad there. Most of the visitors I saw were people with their snouts deep into the government trough.
I saw no moose but did see elk and grizzlies. In general, it seemed, if you were within snowmobile range of Ft. Ware, there wasn't a lot of game. GD

sounds like a very interesting adventure! thanks for sharing